There are 177 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think one big factor in all that (the O Line performing well despite lack of talent and injuries to starters) is Jimmy. With Jimmy back there, the defense could not overload against the run because Jimmy can see that and pass. I think that was a big help to the journeyman talent that we had on O Line last year. Also Jimmy was fantastic against the blitz - he killed defenses trying to do that to him - so they eventually stopped that as well. So what the O Linemen had to deal with was traditionally balanced fronts and traditional rush containment. That makes it easy for O Linemen to block the defense. My point basically is that Jimmy doesn't need top of the line talent to block for him (I still want Hall of fame talented Linemen - don't get me wrong) but if PFF grades one guy in another teams system as *average* - here he might be graded as outstanding. Kilgore was graded very high by PFF (and we all know he has journeyman talent). I think a lot of the O Linemen that you listed in the draft threads - would be excellent in our system and probably do better than Kilgore if given the chance. As you stated in the other thread, the younger the better.

All excellent points, indeed. My only concern with your FQB making your OL better is that he was still getting pressured and hit the same and can average or below average talent sustain above average play over the course of 16 games?

The good news like you noted is that JG will get better and with a full off season, will be able to understand the offensive play calling and nuances which means he'll be able to process even quicker and maybe knock off a few extra hits and pressures that disrupt the timing of the WCO and turn well executed play calls into risky off script plays.

Either way, while I'm discouraged with who's on the FA market and our desire in acquiring much more than third tier, I am excited to see who we draft and see if the OL coach can quickly develop Garnett and that rookies.

Agree! Time for John Benton and Adam Steanavitch to shine. Also, a better running back that fits Kyle's scheme's might also help that O Line. Hyde was averaging 3.6 yards per carry over the last 5 games of the season contrast that with Breida at 4.5. If you have 3rd down and 7 vs 3rd down and 3, the defense has to play the offensive odds and be balanced. It's a lot easier to make a first down with a quick swing pass or a zone run for 3 yards vs a 7 yard pass/run play. I think the fact that Hyde doesn't really fit Kyle's zone run (but I think he's a fantastic pass receiver) overall hurts the O Line. The more short yardage plays the offense has, the better the O Line can block those short yardage plays, vs. the long yardage plays. Breida with Joe Williams - just that change alone - might help the O Line be more productive in 2018. Joe's speed should scare defenses to be honest against Kyle's offense. Whereas you know 3rd and 7, Hyde isn't going to get the ball on a run play if Hyde is the only one in the backfield.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I liked both Magnuson and Williams. Both showed some potential for undrafted guys

Oh I like them too. I like Magnuson at C and it would not surprise me if Williams grabs that swing T role this year.

Agreed. Hopefully Mags takes the starting C role too, unless we upgrade in the draft
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I would prefer to beef up the line with the cap instead of splurging on sexy positions.

Seriously, if there's one unit to spend big on, it's this one, hands down. Unfortunately, premier C's, G's and T's don't hit the FA market much anymore so we're stuck drafting and developing them, hope they get to a premier level and we can lock them up before they hit FA.

Yes, and to further compound the issue, the majority of college programs are running some type of spread offense that does not require the technical skills that are necessary in the pros. Hence, it takes even top guys like David DeCastro a couple of years to learn how to play in the pros. Consequently, when even a mid-tier OL gets to FA, they are going to get paid a lot more than they would otherwise.

The solution is to keep your average guy and spend a year or two training a young draftee how to play NFL football. If that sounds like the Daniel Kilgore deal, then it suggests the FO knows what they are doing.

Agree with you all, and I'll just add that the Zone run requires all 5 O Linemen to know what the other guy on the line is going to do. In other words, each O Line basically needs to know exactly how the other 4 are going to block various fronts, or the zone run won't work. So it makes sense to at least nail the center down who makes all the O Line protections and calls and get that stabilized. Finally a younger O Lineman with more reps, even with the same talent as a veteran, once he is the same age as the veteran (because of all the reps with his teammates) might be better than said veteran *without* all the reps with his other teammates.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I liked both Magnuson and Williams. Both showed some potential for undrafted guys

Oh I like them too. I like Magnuson at C and it would not surprise me if Williams grabs that swing T role this year.

Agreed. Hopefully Mags takes the starting C role too, unless we upgrade in the draft

With what NC and NY85 have said about our O Line, I feel we are in a much stronger position (even if the free agent O LIne market is weak) going into 2019. One of the reasons is Magnuson and Williams, and of course possibly even Garnett coming on to compete with Kilgore and the rest of last years starters. Then add to that a good offensive lineman in free agency and a good solid draft pick and possibly more undrafted O Line free agents, and I think we should have some depth and talent at the O Line position start of September.
I think one big factor in all that (the O Line performing well despite lack of talent and injuries to starters) is Jimmy. With Jimmy back there, the defense could not overload against the run because Jimmy can see that and pass. I think that was a big help to the journeyman talent that we had on O Line last year. Also Jimmy was fantastic against the blitz - he killed defenses trying to do that to him - so they eventually stopped that as well. So what the O Linemen had to deal with was traditionally balanced fronts and traditional rush containment. That makes it easy for O Linemen to block the defense. My point basically is that Jimmy doesn't need top of the line talent to block for him (I still want Hall of fame talented Linemen - don't get me wrong) but if PFF grades one guy in another teams system as *average* - here he might be graded as outstanding. Kilgore was graded very high by PFF (and we all know he has journeyman talent). I think a lot of the O Linemen that you listed in the draft threads - would be excellent in our system and probably do better than Kilgore if given the chance. As you stated in the other thread, the younger the better.

All excellent points, indeed. My only concern with your FQB making your OL better is that he was still getting pressured and hit the same and can average or below average talent sustain above average play over the course of 16 games?

The good news like you noted is that JG will get better and with a full off season, will be able to understand the offensive play calling and nuances which means he'll be able to process even quicker and maybe knock off a few extra hits and pressures that disrupt the timing of the WCO and turn well executed play calls into risky off script plays.

Either way, while I'm discouraged with who's on the FA market and our desire in acquiring much more than third tier, I am excited to see who we draft and see if the OL coach can quickly develop Garnett and that rookies.

You should IMO factor in that next season teams will be up emotionally to play the Niners. Last season, not so much. Teams like the Jaguars and Rams were already in the playoffs. Next season, coaches will be scheming with Jimmy and Kyle in mind. The OL must get better (both run and pass blocking) because the defenses will get better against them.
Oh yeah, I'm just more discouraged by the FA market for OL in general and annoyed that we've ignored it the past few years when really good young FA's were available. Plus I know in this WCO and with how poorly OL are prepared coming into the league, it's going to take a while to build up a top tier OL...and damnit, I want Jimmy G Spot protected, able to stay in the pocket and execute the play calls per timing of design and see success with our running game.

Yeah I think there's some good ZB guards to be had in the draft...I agree we have all this cash and the market at OG isn't good. I will say the market is really really good next yr
Otherin FA go look at

Zack Fulton out of KC
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?

With what NC and NY85 have said about our O Line, I feel we are in a much stronger position (even if the free agent O LIne market is weak) going into 2019. One of the reasons is Magnuson and Williams, and of course possibly even Garnett coming on to compete with Kilgore and the rest of last years starters. Then add to that a good offensive lineman in free agency and a good solid draft pick and possibly more undrafted O Line free agents, and I think we should have some depth and talent at the O Line position start of September.

Man, I hope so. Pretty excited for September already. Can't wait!
[ Edited by Morgan49 on Feb 17, 2018 at 12:51 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Otherin FA go look at

Zack Fulton out of KC

Fulton is solid, if KC let's him go that would be foolish.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Otherin FA go look at

Zack Fulton out of KC

They're hurting with cap space and just paid Tardif and Fisher...can't pay everyone

Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Otherin FA go look at

Zack Fulton out of KC

They're hurting with cap space and just paid Tardif and Fisher...can't pay everyone

Yeah and that is our ace in the hole. Fortunately we have lots of cash which in time of OL need is nice. But agree with NC, after spending some time on these FA OGs, and Cs, ummmm....Norwell or bust. We should hock our souls to get him. The rest, as much as I was looking forward to buying them...man they grade out not much different than Fusco. What is the point of buying a guy when it isn't an improvement. That has been my big disappointment this off season. As NCommand has noted, it hurt these last 3 yrs watching all the OL talent and we have passed while drafting or buying D. We saw the fiasco when john and kyle tried to buy OLs this past yr....Zuttah, BArnes,, Fusco(ok, here), and then bringing in Laken...OL is our most important slot at present, and it looks like we are going to have to depend on draft for 2/3 of it. I hope not 3/3 of it. Whoever we take...most likely will not be up to par until half way thru season. With a FR QB like jmmy, you just gotta hold your breath, hope kyle holds a RB and TE in to help in ;protection, and go from there. The FA market turned out to really underwhelm for OLs. But for CBs...whooo....we could do some damage there. I hope we score at least one Cb in FA. A really good one.
it would help immensely if Mags and Williams (Darren OT), happened to come thru for us. And same goes for Garnett. Point is we should not be counting on any of them but at least one could hope for one to come thru for us. If 2 of them catch fire, hey , so much the better. But it better be from a backup position and they outplay whoever is ahead of them. Any of those three would be incredibly welcome to push it up several notches. I've seen garnett play well. I have seen mags show something at times. Williams the little bit I saw him , he looked a bit lost but he did look strong. I assume that was due to not knowing where to be nor what to do. I would very much like to see all 3 guys come into camp and eat it up. Realistically, if one guy did really well i'd be ecstatic. Sure Norwell can still be tagged...or paid... but there is reason to hope. Meantime keep looking and as NY has said, consider some quality OL cuts due to age/cap.
Fortunately, Lynch/Shanahan know which OL they can use and how. So I have confidence that they will put together a great line. It would be great if it could be made up of the guys on the roster.

Starters: Staley/Garnett/Kilgore?/Fusco/Brown
Backups: Brown/Tomlinson/Magnuson/Rookie/Williams

Gilliam/Beadles/Barnes//Murphy/Lauderdale
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Fortunately, Lynch/Shanahan know which OL they can use and how. So I have confidence that they will put together a great line. It would be great if it could be made up of the guys on the roster.

Absolutely not, this group needs an influx of talent, we must protect the saviour, and get some running lanes.

It needs at least two new starters, I'd prefer one in FA, one in the draft, and an extra T/G for depth.

I have hopes for Garnett and Magnussen, but wouldn't count on either. Fusco is not good enough, merely a bandage, I think it says a lot they resigned Kilgore before him.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Absolutely not, this group needs an influx of talent, we must protect the saviour, and get some running lanes.

It needs at least two new starters, I'd prefer one in FA, one in the draft, and an extra T/G for depth.

I have hopes for Garnett and Magnussen, but wouldn't count on either. Fusco is not good enough, merely a bandage, I think it says a lot they resigned Kilgore before him.

The savior was undefeated with this line last year. An upgrade or two maybe, but not a completely new OL.
Share 49ersWebzone