There are 170 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Which turned out to be wildly accurate again. Not perfect but overall, very accurate as has been posted numerous times, simply by focusing solely on the trenches. Yup, it's still football and the game starts with the trenches.

Where did the Chiefs rank again?
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Which turned out to be wildly accurate again. Not perfect but overall, very accurate as has been posted numerous times, simply by focusing solely on the trenches. Yup, it's still football and the game starts with the trenches.

Where did the Chiefs rank again?

I think Phoenix mentioned while the Chiefs have suspect tackles. they have a very good center and fantastic guards (I believe he also campaigned hard for Humphrey in the draft and was pissed we passed up on him) so maybe we should go that route given Purdy can scramble.

With this Mahomes knows most DE's will go too deep in pursuit so he can just slide out in front of them with his quickness extending a play and causing havoc. This is a brutal combo to beat.

The other issue is their tackles hold like crazy, but its never called in the big games/moments. That's the league $$$ talking and nothing can be done about that unless the fans riot imo. It is funny to me that 99% of fans don't pay attention or even know what they are looking at in the trenches on a given play, but that's what dictates the game the most as well. The fact this ref crew was chosen is nuts. That being said they mostly just let them play and called a blatantly obvious hold on TW. I just wished they called a couple of those on the chiefs. I think they could have called a few others for us as well, but didn't.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
NC is right. We need to load up on OL. I'm a believer!

I think there's some pretty serious doubt out there about Hurts. This point was more valid before this season.

Also, I don't think there's a 49ers fan out there that doesn't have improving the OL at or near the top of the list in terms of improvement priority. It's the weakest overall unit in terms of pure talent on the team with maybe some room to argue secondary.

Good man, French. I knew you'd come around too. Respect!

Just 2-3 left.

It sounds like SJ is even starting to get it too. #NotGoodEnough

I got hammered last season by the group pointing out our line was trash. I should have been more specific. The right side of the line was a far as we could go. We got close but to beat Spags D we needed to be better. We made it one step further but not the prize. NC you and I mentioned this many times and was given stats that would not pass the eye test. Hopefully we will get better pass pro this year to see how good Purdy can be. I think the run game was OK but need better pass pro for number 6.

Eye test is the best test. Now I see a lot of videos showing Kyle's scheme is lacking on pass protection at times and some examples are pretty eye opening.

While our run game is great its only great when Trent is in there and even then the right side doesn't compare to the left. When he was out we were incredibly flat and could not run the ball.

I think the easiest idea is adding more talent along the line, but I would like to see some evolution from Kyle on his pass protections. We have way to many obvious passing downs fail because someone messed up or got beat.

Very good assessment in which I completely agree. If Kyle is going to run and shift his line play he needs to fix the right side or run to left with TW and Banks clearing the way. Pass pro,,,the D line was crushing us from the right side batting balls down or flushing Purdy out of the pocket. Kyle cannot out scheme horrible o line play.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I think Phoenix mentioned while the Chiefs have suspect tackles. they have a very good center and fantastic guards (I believe he also campaigned hard for Humphrey in the draft and was pissed we passed up on him) so maybe we should go that route given Purdy can scramble.

With this Mahomes knows most DE's will go too deep in pursuit so he can just slide out in front of them with his quickness extending a play and causing havoc. This is a brutal combo to beat.

The other issue is their tackles hold like crazy, but its never called in the big games/moments. That's the league $$$ talking and nothing can be done about that unless the fans riot imo. It is funny to me that 99% of fans don't pay attention or even know what they are looking at in the trenches on a given play, but that's what dictates the game the most as well. The fact this ref crew was chosen is nuts. That being said they mostly just let them play and called a blatantly obvious hold on TW. I just wished they called a couple of those on the chiefs. I think they could have called a few others for us as well, but didn't.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said, outside of complaining about the refs… but there is a context here for the question to NC. He was so confident in a supposed 7 year trend of what is required to win the Super Bowl that he bet on this formula and came up empty. Now that the 49ers failed to win the SB he's using a predetermined reason for the failure, and contradicting himself in the process. It's a really bad attempt at saving face.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Which turned out to be wildly accurate again. Not perfect but overall, very accurate as has been posted numerous times, simply by focusing solely on the trenches. Yup, it's still football and the game starts with the trenches.

Where did the Chiefs rank again?

4th in the trenches.

Aggregate | Playoff Seeding | Record
1. Cowboys 3. (2) | 2 | 12-5
6. Eagles 1. (3.5) | 5 | 11-6
2. 49ers 7. (4.5) | 1 | 12-5
5. Chiefs 6. (5.5) | 3 | 11-6
10. Lions 2. (6) | 3 | 12-5
9. Texans 5. (7) | 4 | 10-7
8. Ravens 8. (8) | 1 | 13-4
4. Browns 12. (8) | 5 | 11-6
13. Bucs 4. (8.5) | 4 | 9-8
3. Steelers 14. (8.5) | 7 | 10-7
7. Packers 11. (9) | 7 | 9-8
11. Rams 10. (10.5) | 6 | 10-6
12. Bills 9. (10.5) | 2 | 11-6
14. Dolphins 13. (13.5) | 6 | 11-6
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 28, 2024 at 11:35 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
NC is right. We need to load up on OL. I'm a believer!

I think it's funny how Brock gets s**t on bc he has so many weapons but a guy like hurts, who has an elite line and playmakers, people say wow franchise QB.

Here's the rub, most fans agree they need to buff up the OL. But when there are egomaniacs constantly making bad faith arguments it tends to muddy the waters. Luckily the draft looks pretty solid for what they need

Translation: NC was right, however, the CJ must go on woooo woo woooo

Facts.

Don't listen to the new spin from the good-enough crowd that they're suddenly interested in adding more talent to the OL now. Too funny.

They always thought it was good enough. Every. Single. Year.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 28, 2024 at 11:45 AM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I don't disagree with a lot of what you said, outside of complaining about the refs… but there is a context here for the question to NC. He was so confident in a supposed 7 year trend of what is required to win the Super Bowl that he bet on this formula and came up empty. Now that the 49ers failed to win the SB he's using a predetermined reason for the failure, and contradicting himself in the process. It's a really bad attempt at saving face.

What are you talking about? Just take the L and move on. You thought it was good enough. It wasn't. And it never was in any prior year either.

There was no tier 1 QB + OL combo this year. And one of the tier 1 OL damn near made it to the Superbowl...with Goff as their QB. We can thank Brock for that one.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 28, 2024 at 11:43 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
NC is right. We need to load up on OL. I'm a believer!

I think it's funny how Brock gets s**t on bc he has so many weapons but a guy like hurts, who has an elite line and playmakers, people say wow franchise QB.

Here's the rub, most fans agree they need to buff up the OL. But when there are egomaniacs constantly making bad faith arguments it tends to muddy the waters. Luckily the draft looks pretty solid for what they need

Translation: NC was right, however, the CJ must go on woooo woo woooo

Facts.

Don't listen to the new spin from the good-enough crowd that they're suddenly interested in adding more talent to the OL now. Too funny.

They always thought it was good enough. Every. Single. Year.

And there he goes lying again. Classic
this guy telling others to learn to take the L and move on. Fantasy land s**t 😂
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Which turned out to be wildly accurate again. Not perfect but overall, very accurate as has been posted numerous times, simply by focusing solely on the trenches. Yup, it's still football and the game starts with the trenches.

Where did the Chiefs rank again?

Tier 2,...never Tier 1.

Which is why the mantra has gone from "Not a #1 Overall OLine"..... to "Not a Tier 1 OLine"...... to "Not a good enough OLine."

But nobody's supposed to noticed the constantly changing 1-liners,...some of them stolen from NY years ago.

But yes,...if you constantly ditch your failed sayings and change your stance like once a month,...you end up somehow being right all along,...8 years running!!

This isin't about the 49ers,...this is a plea for constant attention.
[ Edited by random49er on Feb 28, 2024 at 2:50 PM ]

Who wouldnt want to upgrade the right side of the OLine after their previous 1st Round OT signs with a new team, ....in a year where our highest valued pick is a 4th rounder?

Hopefully those that keep barking about the right side of the OL could take a quick peak at the timeline of events the last calendar year. I mean,... it's really not that hard.

[ Edited by random49er on Feb 28, 2024 at 3:22 PM ]
Why do you guys still bother lol.
Jets expected to not re-sign Mechi Becton. Is he a bust or just not in the right situation with the right coaching? Or is it the injuries?
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Jets expected to not re-sign Mechi Becton. Is he a bust or just not in the right situation with the right coaching? Or is it the injuries?

Inconsistent and injuries…that said I'd take a flyer if the money is right
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I think Phoenix mentioned while the Chiefs have suspect tackles. they have a very good center and fantastic guards (I believe he also campaigned hard for Humphrey in the draft and was pissed we passed up on him) so maybe we should go that route given Purdy can scramble.

With this Mahomes knows most DE's will go too deep in pursuit so he can just slide out in front of them with his quickness extending a play and causing havoc. This is a brutal combo to beat.

The other issue is their tackles hold like crazy, but its never called in the big games/moments. That's the league $$$ talking and nothing can be done about that unless the fans riot imo. It is funny to me that 99% of fans don't pay attention or even know what they are looking at in the trenches on a given play, but that's what dictates the game the most as well. The fact this ref crew was chosen is nuts. That being said they mostly just let them play and called a blatantly obvious hold on TW. I just wished they called a couple of those on the chiefs. I think they could have called a few others for us as well, but didn't.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said, outside of complaining about the refs… but there is a context here for the question to NC. He was so confident in a supposed 7 year trend of what is required to win the Super Bowl that he bet on this formula and came up empty. Now that the 49ers failed to win the SB he's using a predetermined reason for the failure, and contradicting himself in the process. It's a really bad attempt at saving face.

The ref part is my belief the league favors Mahomes and they put a crew in that benefited KC. That being said I really don't believe they were a deciding factor in the game. We really beat ourselves.
Share 49ersWebzone