LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
I am pretty confident Brock would have beat Mahomes.

Lol..lmao..sure
Originally posted by NCommand:
You are aware those are 2 of the most talented and deep fronts in the game, right? Overstocking their lines is what they do. They don't draft punters and kickers instead.

How can you bash us for trying to stack our talent in our "deep front" as well then?

You've said countless times that we over-emphasize our defensive line. How can you compliment other teams for doing the same, then?

Doesn't seem to add up.
Originally posted by random49er:
How can you bash us for trying to stack our talent in our "deep front" as well then?

You've said countless times that we over-emphasize our defensive line. How can you compliment other teams for doing the same, then?

Doesn't seem to add up.

DTs are a dime a dozen until the Eagles use back to back top 15 picks on em.
Originally posted by dmax:
Clown show
We need help at RG and we get a slow TE and kicker..
Christ, they better ko these next pics

They aren't going to look for safe guys. If they take a guy it's because they believe they can surprise alot of people with their play and push for a starting job,...not simply "add depth" at a position.

They're just not into that but given our results on the field (5th best OL last year per respected rankings?),...they're doing things right.

Why bring a 6th or 7th round OLineman in that you plan on cutting anyway, just looking at the roster and everything? To appease fans?
[ Edited by random49er on Apr 29, 2023 at 9:13 AM ]
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Doesn't seem to add up.

Definitely a narrative there. Put down the 49ers, while elevate other teams, and then while blindly ignoring other factors (QB play).
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dmax:
I am pretty confident Brock would have beat Mahomes.

Lol..lmao..sure

I'm guessing a seahawk fan?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Why not? There were like 8 T's still left. Colton is a 5th round pick recently cut by this very FO. Unless you think this was the worst T class of all time or overvalue Colton.

I don't think it's particularly strong at tackle no. Probably still get a guy in the 5th that wouldn't be that far off from who we would've taken here.

Again I would've taken Wypler.

Move Burford to tackle. Always been the right move.

Ignoring no depth at corner is once again worse then passing on a tackle. At this point I'm used to it though.

That would have been a quality pick too. Of the players we were connected with, only 3 had gone off the board (Morris, Steen & Bergeron). These guys were all still available:

Blake Freeland
Jaelyn Duncan
Warren McClendon Jr.
Nick Saldiveri
Ryan Hayes
Braeden Daniels
Joey Fisher
Kilian Zierer
Jordan McFadden
Trevor Reid
Jake Witt
Henry Byrd

It's just not a priority for this FO. It's just not. They certainly get it for the DL but for some reason, OL is just way down the priority list and it'll continue to cost them annually (unit PP).

I'm 100% behind you on that one. But it'll never happen. Foerster sees his guys pretty specifically in those G and T buckets.

I was stoked for you on the first pick. But truly, as to CB, only 1 was off their board. Here are the other top choices they could have made over a PK:

Clark Phillips III
Tre'vius Hodges-Tomlinson
Kei'Trel Clark
Mekhi Blackmon
Darell Luter Jr.
Rejzohn Wright
Lance Boykin
Terell Smith

Oh well. But looking at the DL's we're likely facing to get to the Superbowl, what's cost us in the past and our looooooooong QB injury history, I'm not sure how fans can be feeling good about justifying not making the OL a top priority in terms of adding and stockpiling talent esp. with two QB's coming off injuries.

Agree, not really a happy camper right now. I really wanted that right OT to replace McGlinchey in the draft. Looks like I have to hope they get a decent one in the 6th and 7th rounds (long odds there) and even longer odds in undrafted free agency this year. They needed to shore up the QB protection considering Brock's injury at least. Maybe they think they got good OLine value in their free agency? I don't know. Hope McKivitz is up to playing all 17+ games this season.

Brock wasn't injured because of O-line. And floating this narrative that any of our QBs got hurt because of O-line is just false for this year. Knowing the protection and Brock stepping up in that perfectly clean pocket probably changes history because he would've hit an open Aiyuk.

With that said, I'm totally with you on wanting to get a RT. Even if we got Morris this year, I didn't expect them to beat out McKivitz this year, but they absolutely would've been ahead of Colton in year 2 and though unknown, I'd trust a rookie more than Jaylon Moore right now.

I was really surprised at how good our OLine was last year, despite having mid round choices populating the squad. Other than first round picks in Trent and McGlinchy, the interior players were a second rounder, an undrafted and a fourth rounder. It's looking more like McKivitz at RT right now, and he did ok when he stepped in for Trent. I'm hoping he can at least be as good as McGlinchy in that case. Purdy is not a big guy, and again my pet theory, all things being equal a bigger guy will not get injured as often as a little guy. Give Purdy the best protection you can get in the draft so he can have a long career. Maybe they are waiting till they have a first rounder? That will be next year when the have a first round pick again. Trent will be around 35 by then, and that's about the age when most OLinemen generally start to retire.
Why not? There were like 8 T's still left. Colton is a 5th round pick recently cut by this very FO. Unless you think this was the worst T class of all time or overvalue Colton.

I don't think it's particularly strong at tackle no. Probably still get a guy in the 5th that wouldn't be that far off from who we would've taken here.

Ignoring no depth at corner is once again worse then passing on a tackle. At this point I'm used to it though.

That would have been a quality pick too. Of the players we were connected with, only 3 had gone off the board (Morris, Steen & Bergeron). These guys were all still available:

Blake Freeland
Jaelyn Duncan
Warren McClendon Jr.
Nick Saldiveri
Ryan Hayes
Braeden Daniels
Joey Fisher
Kilian Zierer
Jordan McFadden
Trevor Reid
Jake Witt
Henry Byrd

It's just not a priority for this FO. It's just not. They certainly get it for the DL but for some reason, OL is just way down the priority list and it'll continue to cost them annually (unit PP).

I'm 100% behind you on that one. But it'll never happen. Foerster sees his guys pretty specifically in those G and T buckets.

I was stoked for you on the first pick. But truly, as to CB, only 1 was off their board. Here are the other top choices they could have made over a PK:

Clark Phillips III
Kei'Trel Clark
Mekhi Blackmon
Darell Luter Jr.
Rejzohn Wright
Lance Boykin
Terell Smith

Oh well. But looking at the DL's we're likely facing to get to the Superbowl, what's cost us in the past and our looooooooong QB injury history, I'm not sure how fans can be feeling good about justifying not making the OL a top priority in terms of adding and stockpiling talent esp. with two QB's coming off injuries.

Agree, not really a happy camper right now. I really wanted that right OT to replace McGlinchey in the draft. Looks like I have to hope they get a decent one in the 6th and 7th rounds (long odds there) and even longer odds in undrafted free agency this year. They needed to shore up the QB protection considering Brock's injury at least. Maybe they think they got good OLine value in their free agency? I don't know. Hope McKivitz is up to playing all 17+ games this season.

Brock wasn't injured because of O-line. And floating this narrative that any of our QBs got hurt because of O-line is just false for this year. Knowing the protection and Brock stepping up in that perfectly clean pocket probably changes history because he would've hit an open Aiyuk.

With that said, I'm totally with you on wanting to get a RT. Even if we got Morris this year, I didn't expect them to beat out McKivitz this year, but they absolutely would've been ahead of Colton in year 2 and though unknown, I'd trust a rookie more than Jaylon Moore right now.

I was really surprised at how good our OLine was last year, despite having mid round choices populating the squad. Other than first round picks in Trent and McGlinchy, the interior players were a second rounder, an undrafted and a fourth rounder. It's looking more like McKivitz at RT right now, and he did ok when he stepped in for Trent. I'm hoping he can at least be as good as McGlinchy in that case. Purdy is not a big guy, and again my pet theory, all things being equal a bigger guy will not get injured as often as a little guy. Give Purdy the best protection you can get in the draft so he can have a long career. Maybe they are waiting till they have a first rounder? That will be next year when the have a first round pick again. Trent will be around 35 by then, and that's about the age when most OLinemen generally start to retire.

GI've the current set up, I can't see any other pick besides tackle. McKivitz could be All Pro and I'd still draft the best tackle (within reason) at 32 :).

Doesn't seem to add up.

Gotta love the nonstop hypocrisy
I've come to the conclusion shanalynch doesn't care about about the health of our qbs. The weakest part of our team is even weaker. Pathetic.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Blake Freeland
Jaelyn Duncan
Warren McClendon Jr.
Nick Saldiveri
Ryan Hayes
Braeden Daniels
Joey Fisher
Kilian Zierer
Jordan McFadden
Trevor Reid
Jake Witt
Henry Byrd

Clark Phillips III
Kei'Trel Clark
Mekhi Blackmon
Darell Luter Jr.
Rejzohn Wright
Lance Boykin
Terell Smith

GI've the current set up, I can't see any other pick besides tackle. McKivitz could be All Pro and I'd still draft the best tackle (within reason) at 32 :).

Agree, given the current set up, and Trent's age, that totally makes sense. I think McKivitz will be a good right tackle as long as Foerster is the OLine coach. I was impressed with Foerster's coaching of Banks, Brendel, and Burford. I hope to see the same for McKivitz. Assuming they pick an offensive linemen in the next rounds (6th or 7th) if these players are *durable* - they have a shot at becoming better and challenging for a starting position. I think that's all I can ask for. I don't think we'll be getting any starter level OLinemen from here on in. Next year, as you said, Round 1, pick 32 should be an offensive lineman.
49ers QBs stay injured. Probably won't change until the FO decides to actually do something with the line. Once TW retires this team is f*****
Top 10 oline with all starters coming back besides our weakest link. Everyone needs to chill
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
49ers QBs stay injured. Probably won't change until the FO decides to actually do something with the line. Once TW retires this team is f*****

None of the 3 qb Inuries last year were primarily the fault of the o line.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I've come to the conclusion shanalynch doesn't care about about the health of our qbs. The weakest part of our team is even weaker. Pathetic.

Werent the weakest part of the team in 2022 by any measure.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Apr 29, 2023 at 1:44 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone