LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
We needed more than a better RT. We needed a better RT, RG and C in our deep playoff runs.

Also needed Brock or someone like Brock. 2022 Purdy was good enough to win us SBs in 2019 and 2021.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Apr 25, 2023 at 11:39 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
We needed more than a better RT. We needed a better RT, RG and C in our deep playoff runs.

Our center is fine. We got good depth there as well. RG is developing and is far from bad. I know how much people hate the word "development" but at some point you gotta let it happen.

based of what Lynch said yesterday about trying to trade Mike…I'm telling ya they like Colton a whole hell of a lot more than people think. I hope they draft multiple lineman because I think there's value there when we're picking. Don't be shocked if they don't grab a OL with one of those 1sts 3 picks.

Center is such an important position on this team, that being just "fine" really hurts the offense IMO. I'm honestly hoping one of the top centers falls to us in round 3. I think if Wylper or the Michigan guy will be there, we should draft them so they can have either one of them compete at guard and center.
[ Edited by Waterbear on Apr 25, 2023 at 11:42 AM ]

Our center is fine. We got good depth there as well. RG is developing and is far from bad. I know how much people hate the word "development" but at some point you gotta let it happen.

based of what Lynch said yesterday about trying to trade Mike…I'm telling ya they like Colton a whole hell of a lot more than people think. I hope they draft multiple lineman because I think there's value there when we're picking. Don't be shocked if they don't grab a OL with one of those 1sts 3 picks.

Agree on Center - and RG - i think both will be very improved after a full season of games under their belts.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Colton and hoping for the best.

I'd feel a lot better if we could get a top tier RT - but I guess that's not in the cards.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Agree on Center - and RG - i think both will be very improved after a full season of games under their belts.

I'd feel a lot better if we could get a top tier RT - but I guess that's not in the cards.

Not in the late 3rd.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Center is such an important position on this team, that being just "fine" really hurts the offense IMO. I'm honestly hoping one of the top centers falls to us in round 3. I think if Wylper or the Michigan guy will be there, we should draft them so they can have either one of them compete at guard and center.

I'd actually rather take Wypler then a tackle myself.

Our C was not fine. It wasn't Richburg. It was also Mike Person, Daniel Brunskill and Tom Compton. Even MM was getting tossed around. Had they shored those positions up AND we had health, we'd have at least one, most likely, even with subpar QB play.

You're probably right about that one. Me too...would be a total bummer if they didn't. At bare minimum, Colton needs some real competition...something MM never had.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Waterbear:

I'd actually rather take Wypler then a tackle myself.

BPA, baby.

Also needed Brock or someone like Brock. 2022 Purdy was good enough to win us SBs in 2019 and 2021.

No doubt Brock-level play through 4Q would have helped a ton. No doubt.

But TBF, he did struggle under duress in the playoffs too but was able to do 'enough' to get us to the NFCCG.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 25, 2023 at 12:34 PM ]

But TBF, he did struggle under duress in the playoffs too but was able to do 'enough' to get us to the NFCCG.

Didn't struggle to the tune of the worst 4th quarter playoff production ever. He also takes and hits more shots down the field that would've changed both games.

Didn't struggle to the tune of the worst 4th quarter playoff production ever. He also takes and hits more shots down the field that would've changed both games.

That's why I specifically said, "...through 4Q."

Our C was not fine. It wasn't Richburg. It was also Mike Person, Daniel Brunskill and Tom Compton. Even MM was getting tossed around. Had they shored those positions up AND we had health, we'd have at least one, most likely, even with subpar QB play.

You're probably right about that one. Me too...would be a total bummer if they didn't. At bare minimum, Colton needs some real competition...something MM never had.

What do you mean shored those positions up and health? If they had health then Richburg, Person and MM are healthy. Or do you expect a high level starting caliber backup C and RT? Because if so that's not really feasible as they are most likely starting on other teams.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Not in the late 3rd.

You're probably right - hope for the best
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

What do you mean shored those positions up and health? If they had health then Richburg, Person and MM are healthy. Or do you expect a high level starting caliber backup C and RT? Because if so that's not really feasible as they are most likely starting on other teams.

Meaning we had 2-3 legit shots to get there and whether it was health or talent level, it was always a combination of reasons. I don't think with full health we quite had the talent level needed either way. But I guess we'll never know because even Mike Person was playing with a f**ked up neck and retired right after. Plus with our talent level, it's not the DL we needed to be 27 deep...it was the OL.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 25, 2023 at 6:17 PM ]

Meaning we had 2-3 legit shots to get there and whether it was health or talent level, it was always a combination of reasons. I don't think with full health we quite had the talent level needed either way. But I guess we'll never know because even Mike Person was playing with a f**ked up neck and tried right after. Plus with our talent level, it's not the DL we needed to be 27 deep...it was the OL.
The talent drop off was always when they were down to backups due to injury, or person being banged up..and even then they had a viable, starting caliber RG option on the bench . And even then the backups played well enough for them continue to advance and still be in a position to win in final seconds. . You said it yourself about the KC OL when they were decimated by injuries against TB and sane for TB a year later.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Apr 25, 2023 at 6:04 PM ]

Meaning we had 2-3 legit shots to get there and whether it was health or talent level, it was always a combination of reasons. I don't think with full health we quite had the talent level needed either way. But I guess we'll never know because even Mike Person was playing with a f**ked up neck and tried right after. Plus with our talent level, it's not the DL we needed to be 27 deep...it was the OL.
The talent drop off was always when they were down to backups due to injury, or person being banged up..and even then they had a viable, starting caliber RG option on the bench . And even then the backups played well enough for them continue to advance and still be in a position to win in final seconds. . You said it yourself about the KC OL when they were decimated by injuries against TB and sane for TB a year later.

I genuinely would have loved to see the same 5 start all year. Staley, Trent, Richburg, Person, McGlinchey, etc. Such a bummer...always limping into the playoffs or straight to I.R. and retirement. Oh well.
Share 49ersWebzone