Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SFVNiner:
This went from worrying about this group to "...ok, think we'll be alright... to oh $h1t!"

Spot on. I was feeling pretty good going into Denver but knew this would be the pass protection game we needed.

Jimmy has been pressured on 29.1% of his drop backs. Trey was pressured on 39.5% of his. Obviously without Trent it is going to be tough sledding now. With Mckivitz, its going to be unit pass pro for a stretch. Expect to see a heavy dose of RB's and TE's staying in to block.

I just don't see that as a winning formula on offense of Jeff Wilson is the lead back. Kittle can carry us. Deebo can as well. Get the other pass catchers involved. Get rid of the ball quick, the same way defenses do against us and get it in the hands of our playmakers. Mass protection will lead to a sputtering offense with few points. Perhaps if Jimmy gets the ball out fast, which we know he can, we can draw some unnecessary roughness penalties.

Get the ball out quick how? Defenses are crowding the LOS daring Jimmy to throw. With no run game and no pass protection this offense is in for a world of hurt. We are going to be in a lot of 3rd and 6+ situations. If we don't max protect, we don't stand a chance.

YAC this is exactly what I've been saying for the past year; if the 49ers can't run, they don't win regardless of who's at QB. Kyle is just going to need to figure out how to run against the 5-man front, at least where he's getting 4ypc. He actually was getting that against Denver but needs to ask other runners to contribute. If that means you're using that extra TE along with Kittle to defeat those fronts and build some deep shots every so often with - oh I don't know - Gray you can get those folks to get off the LOS. Key word here is shots. Throw the ball. At least make the defense hold and try to get the PI. There's enough PP to throw quickly but Kyle is going to need to get a bit more creative like he did in 2019 - but he also had both LaFleur as run game coordinator and McDaniel as passing game coordinator. Forester and Slowik aren't really showing their mettle yet.

I don't care how great of a run game coordinator you are. If defenses do not fear the deep ball, they will continue to cheat and clog up the LOS and cover all the short routes. We gained 284 yards on the ground through the first 5 quarters of the season with Trey Lance at QB. Since than (7 quarters) we have gained 169 yards on the ground. Coincidence? I don't think so.

LOL. Did you miss the later half of 2019? Teams were cheating then. Did you miss last season when everyone boasts about making it to the NFCCG? I challenge you to look at every game - every team plays us the same way. Yall act like the NFL has been playing the 49ers out of a standard D since mid-season 2019. Post regular season 2019, when has ***any*** team feared the deep ball from the 49ers?

Defenses may have been cheating on the shorter routes in the 2nd half of 2019 but they did not figure out how to consistently beat the OZ. That didn't come until 2020. It is not a coincidence that we went out and drafted the guys that we did at the OG posistions. Also we went out and got a strong armed QB and more speed at the WR position. Unfortunately, we had to go back to the old scheme with Jimmy and again, no coincidence that our production in the run game has fell off since.

No coincidence? You don't have enough data to make that claim that Trey under center made the run game more effective than 2019 or even 2021 Jimmy under center. Y'all are reaching.

So going from 284 yards rushing in 5 quarters and than a sudden drop off to 169 yards in the 7 quarters after is a coincidence? How about we see the difference in the same game. 1st quarter against Seattle we had 108 yards rushing. We gained 81 yards on the ground in the other 3 quarters. Its not that we are running the ball less with Jimmy either. The ypc has plummeted as well.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Who was responsible for the fumble Jimmy or Jake?

Yes

Right answer.

Brendel may have not snapped the ball very well but Jimmy absolutely should've recovered that. It was literally right in front of him with nobody there. That was an almost Cam Newton like b***h move...at least Jimmy dove for it just super half assed and tentative enough where it allowed the Denver player to dive in there and steal the ball away.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
anyone got video of that Moore whiff?? it was sad and funny to watch at the same time lol

Which whiff? JD covered it in his video.
Originally posted by genus49:

Yes

Right answer.

Brendel may have not snapped the ball very well but Jimmy absolutely should've recovered that. It was literally right in front of him with nobody there. That was an almost Cam Newton like b***h move...at least Jimmy dove for it just super half assed and tentative enough where it allowed the Denver player to dive in there and steal the ball away.
This is not the first time jimmy has fumbled the snap.. the problem is not the center
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Yes, it is offensive…old joke but true!

Haha. Mostly in PP of course...and 100% when it's a known pass. Just when you think things were starting to look up there too.

Oh well. Learn from it and let's see where we're at in week 8.

Either way, unit PP is still a big weakness and Jimmy and Kyle will only highlight that going forward.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Yes

Right answer.

This is not the first time jimmy has fumbled the snap.. the problem is not the center

You try too hard...in every thread.

Yes

Right answer.

You try too hard...in every thread.
am i lying ?
Haha. Mostly in PP of course...and 100% when it's a known pass. Just when you think things were starting to look up there too.

Either way, unit PP is still a big weakness and Jimmy and Kyle will only highlight that going forward.

Was a strength in the first half. Sadly it will likely be a weakness without Trent.
Here is an interesting stat. On 12 dropbacks with PA, Jimmy has been sacked 3 times. On 43 dropbacks with no PA, Jimmy has been sacked 2 times.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Was a strength in the first half. Sadly it will likely be a weakness without Trent.

You think? TBF, I'm mostly watching the predictable sets because that's where our weakness has been in the past. And beyond just the OL too.

Here is an interesting stat. On 12 dropbacks with PA, Jimmy has been sacked 3 times. On 43 dropbacks with no PA, Jimmy has been sacked 2 times.

Very cool differential.

I freaking hate PA for Jimmy and blind PA is the worst. It's the equivalent of a 5-7 step drop...blind.

By the time he hits his back foot he's got to make a split second decision with defenders in his face. And blind? That's even more dangerous. You pretty much need to trust that primary no matter what under duress. Plus he takes massive hits doing it too even if he can get it off and it's open.

Thl suggested what I've been saying for a couple years. We have the personnel. Just go spread with Jimmy. Let him pick his own receivers. At bare minimum he'll be most comfortable in it. Nothing to lose IMHO. Then he can say his own plays suck. LOL

Very cool differential.

I freaking hate PA for Jimmy and blind PA is the worst. It's the equivalent of a 5-7 step drop...blind.

By the time he hits his back foot he's got to make a split second decision with defenders in his face. And blind? That's even more dangerous. You pretty much need to trust that primary no matter what under duress. Plus he takes massive hits doing it too even if he can get it off and it's open.

Thl suggested what I've been saying for a couple years. We have the personnel. Just go spread with Jimmy. Let him pick his own receivers. At bare minimum he'll be most comfortable in it. Nothing to lose IMHO. Then he can say his own plays suck. LOL
you didn't notice the 4 wide the last game.. ?

Very cool differential.

you didn't notice the 4 wide the last game.. ?

I always do. 5 receiving options out there at once. Just pick your matchups, Jimmy.

Unfortunately you have to have 5 OL who are really good in PP so this is dangerous now.

Very cool differential.

At this point, I would be okay with them trying anything other than what they have been because it isn't working.

Very cool differential.

At this point, I would be okay with them trying anything other than what they have been because it isn't working.

100%

Not that Jimmy is going to become this upper tier QB in a spread but it'll give us a fighting chance at a playoff spot at least and let our playmakers, play. I'm sure they're sick of run blocking and staying into to PP. LOL
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 28, 2022 at 11:44 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone