Originally posted by NCommand:
Winning.
yes they are

First CMC 😂
second Kittles Jordan's
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
I certainly have and even jotted it down myself and posted here.

Unfortunately, not everyone pays attention to the OL. I mean, it is the OL. Most don't see past what the QB does.

So for the playoffs, the eye test? No, not good enough to win a Superbowl.

I'd say not good enough to carry the QB to a SB which is what even you agree was needed.

Quite honestly, given the context of how injured Williams was, Compton struggling, IOL having its issues, against a really good DL and opponent who knew us very well, I thought the PP held up pretty well. So much so, to get our usual passing production (2 passing TD's, 230 yards, 1 INT).

The difference was the run blocking. This is where we usually get 2 TD's as well. Like I said before, related to JUST the OL, the RB was far more the issue than the PP (which wasn't stellar either overall but good enough to produce the usual output).

And yes, to win a Superbowl, with Jimmy, you would need supreme PP.

Was it run blocking or was it the rams putting more in the box than we could block? Was it a hobbled Mitchell who was averaging 1.6 yards less per carry through the playoffs than what he averaged throughout the season? Can you isolate the O line from those other factors?
Originally posted by YACBros85:
If we are discussing anything beyond O line performance; pass pro or run blocking. Than we should save it for another thread. I am not saying that I am not interested in the research. Because diving deeper into pressure rate vs TTP and how they relate to winning or losing is something I have been pondering all day.

I'm in!
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Winning.
yes they are

Best I've felt about our chances yet. So stoked for the playoffs!
I decided to flip the perspective over to pass rush to see how TTP may affect it. Here are my results.

Our pass rush this season has an average TTP of 3.14 seconds. If you take the 8 games this season where we have a 3.14 TTP or less, we have generated 24 total sacks in those games. If you take the 8 games this season where we have a 3.15 TTP or more, we have generated 14 total sacks in those games. So in games where our pass rush was getting there in 3.14 seconds or less, we averaged 3 sacks per game. In games where our pass rush was getting there in 3.15 seconds or more, we averaged only 1.75 sacks per game.

Just to be clear there were no TTP games between 3.09 and 3.25.

So the goal is to create as much volume pressure as quickly as possible? No s**t. LOL

If you really want to see how our team building strategy produces, compare our QB pressure rates to the teams we've faced this year. No need for splits. And then guess which team won.

It's hilarious that you were all about YAC when he introduced you to pressure rates back when you thought it backed you up. Now he's a jimmy hating hack who spins narratives
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Jan 7, 2023 at 1:42 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
If you guys are keeping the discussion about one game in particular like it seems, just watch the game again and use your eyeballs. If the QB drops back and has no time to make a hitch and throw without a rusher in his face, that's bad pass protection. If the QB completes his dropback and has time to hitch, with no rusher in his face, that's adequate pass protection.
Whether he finds a target or not is irrelevant since it's not the OL's job to run good routes, or find the correct target.

The eyeballs have to be open to admitting their narrative is wrong.

There are no other eyeballs on this planet that think the 9ers pass protection in the nfc title game was comparable to the Chiefs in the Bucs Super Bowl or the Rams this year.

Not true. There is one set of eyeballs that thinks that
I certainly have and even jotted it down myself and posted here.

Unfortunately, not everyone pays attention to the OL. I mean, it is the OL. Most don't see past what the QB does.

So for the playoffs, the eye test? No, not good enough to win a Superbowl.

I'd say not good enough to carry the QB to a SB which is what even you agree was needed.

Quite honestly, given the context of how injured Williams was, Compton struggling, IOL having its issues, against a really good DL and opponent who knew us very well, I thought the PP held up pretty well. So much so, to get our usual passing production (2 passing TD's, 230 yards, 1 INT).

The difference was the run blocking. This is where we usually get 2 TD's as well. Like I said before, related to JUST the OL, the RB was far more the issue than the PP (which wasn't stellar either overall but good enough to produce the usual output).

And yes, to win a Superbowl, with Jimmy, you would need supreme PP.

Was it run blocking or was it the rams putting more in the box than we could block? Was it a hobbled Mitchell who was averaging 1.6 yards less per carry through the playoffs than what he averaged throughout the season? Can you isolate the O line from those other factors?

IIRC, it was their 1.5 alignment that gave us fits. I want to say the Rams stole it from the Packers? Someone else we played late in the season?

But the rest of the circumstances you stated, I'm sure certainly played into their game plan in the front 7. I'm sure they felt more conformable shooting gaps up front plus knowing Jimmy's conservative tendencies (and injuries) and immobility. Even Deebo as a runner was ineffective too. Sometimes you just gotta give the other team props.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 7, 2023 at 3:41 PM ]

stop lying, by your stats and personal OL logic.. we should be looking forward to the offseason

stop lying, by your stats and personal OL logic.. we should be looking forward to the offseason

Curious what changed, a few weeks back he had them as the 8-9th best team and not a SB contender
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
It's hilarious that you were all about YAC when he introduced you to pressure rates back when you thought it backed you up. Now he's a jimmy hating hack who spins narratives

I appreciate YAC because he brings something to the table. Not low-end 24/7 stalking, trolling and inciting.

Like you, he initially instantly laughed off my assertions. Then he researched it further and saw it...let the data (mostly) lead him from there.

We may not agree 100% on the deeper dive, more obscure stats but that's OK as long as it's cordial. That stat to me, was clearly an attempt to say, "See, Jimmy had tons of time and s/h made more plays because of it." I know that because I already knew his stance on Jimmy that game.

Curious what changed, a few weeks back he had them as the 8-9th best team and not a SB contender

I said 7th best roster to start the year. #1 deepest by a country mile. Up to #5 with the CMC acquisition (could argue higher). We're finally 100% healthy. The OL has been playing top 10ish and the PP > RB this year. Special teams. Kyle's in his groove as a play caller. We now have Jimmy efficiency with better mobility and off schedule ability.

Is that enough?

I appreciate YAC because he brings something to the table. Not low-end 24/7 stalking, trolling and inciting.

Like you, he initially instantly laughed off my assertions. Then he researched it further and saw it...let the data (mostly) lead him from there.

We may not agree 100% on the deeper dive, more obscure stats but that's OK as long as it's cordial. That stat to me, was clearly an attempt to say, "See, Jimmy had tons of time and s/h made more plays because of it." I know that because I already knew his stance on Jimmy that game.

You mean like me going and actually doing research showing you how wrong you were about pressure rates and winning QB's? Lol.
stalking 🤣 my god you are delusional
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Jan 7, 2023 at 2:21 PM ]

I said 7th best roster to start the year. #1 deepest by a country mile. Up to #5 with the CMC acquisition (could argue higher). We're finally 100% healthy. The OL has been playing top 10ish and the PP > RB this year. Special teams. Kyle's in his groove as a play caller. We now have Jimmy efficiency with better mobility and off schedule ability.

Is that enough?

No
No

You have issues, Papi. LOL
No

You have issues, Papi. LOL

Lol you're projecting
Share 49ersWebzone