There are 188 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
If you guys are keeping the discussion about one game in particular like it seems, just watch the game again and use your eyeballs. If the QB drops back and has no time to make a hitch and throw without a rusher in his face, that's bad pass protection. If the QB completes his dropback and has time to hitch, with no rusher in his face, that's adequate pass protection.
Whether he finds a target or not is irrelevant since it's not the OL's job to run good routes, or find the correct target.
If you guys are keeping the discussion about one game in particular like it seems, just watch the game again and use your eyeballs. If the QB drops back and has no time to make a hitch and throw without a rusher in his face, that's bad pass protection. If the QB completes his dropback and has time to hitch, with no rusher in his face, that's adequate pass protection.
Whether he finds a target or not is irrelevant since it's not the OL's job to run good routes, or find the correct target.

Thank you.

The eyeballs have to be open to admitting their narrative is wrong.

There are no other eyeballs on this planet that think the 9ers pass protection in the nfc title game was comparable to the Chiefs in the Bucs Super Bowl or the Rams this year.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jan 7, 2023 at 10:41 AM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
No. It is too generate pressure in a reasonable amount of time. The longer pass pro holds up the less likely the pass rush gets home. The FO spends a lot of money and resources generating a pass rush that can get there in under 3 seconds. Because as I just showed you, a pass rush that takes longer to get there is less efficient at getting home.

Why are you moving the goal post to 3s? Who cares.

THEIR goal is to stop the run and bring as much QB pressure in waves as possible hence their absolute obsession in their team building strategy.

Here's a snippet of why and this is JUST sacks:

Sacks Taken vs Win Percentage

This chart includes the win percentages split by sacks taken in a game of every quarterback to play at least 48 games between 2011 and the third week of the 2017 regular season. The line for NFL Avg clearly shows that taking sacks is bad for wins. If a team goes an entire game without their quarterback being sacked, they have almost a seven-in-ten chance of winning. A team taking only two sacks will be more likely to win than lose, while a team that takes its third sack drops to just above a four-in-ten chance of winning.

I am not moving the goalposts. My argument this entire time has been that time is a better indicator of pass rush/pass pro success than a hollow stat like pressure rate that gives no context.

If a pass rush takes 4.5 seconds to generate a 75% pressure rate and they come up with 0 sacks, do you really believe that the pass rush was successful? Do you really believe that pass protection failed?

No it's not. Pressure is pressure. It affects the QB just the same. Sure it's more ideal if you can get there quicker but the pressure itself is what's most important to winning. Whether it's 1 DE winning a bull rush against a T in 3+s or all 4 DL busting through untouched immediately, pressure is pressure. Pressure simply disrupts everything and forces a QB to make split second decisions off schedule.

It's so important, it's one of the primary reasons we asked, "What are Brock's numbers under pressure?"

I apologise for taking a shot earlier. I got a little triggered by your accusation of me moving the goalposts. I assure you that I have not. I am more calm now and ready to continue this discussion.

My whole thing has been about pass protection vs pass rush. This isn't about the QB. This is the O line thread and so the discussion should try to stay on that subject. I brought up pass rush because it goes hand and hand with pass protection. The duscission should not be about how it affects the QB. The discussion should be about the success or failure of pass protection.

I am not arguing that pressure rate doesn't have a high correlation to wins and losses. I am simply saying that not all pressures are created equal. There is such a thing as coverage sacks and pressures. I would argue that the Niners defense has 14 of those coverage sacks this season. You simply cannot place a whole lot of blame on an o line for not protecting the QB longer than 3.7 seconds. I mean Pass Rush Win Rate (PRWR) is litterally measured by how often a rusher beats their block in 2.5 seconds.

What you are arguing when it comes to pressure rate does not separate PRWR from Coverage Win Rate (CWR). So your entire argument has a very shaky foundation when it comes strictly to pass protection. What the 3.7 seconds TTP tells me is that pass protection held up and the QB/route runners did not get the job done.

No worries. I came at you a bit hard myself and while on a long bike ride, made a mental note to PM you to apologize myself. So

As to PP, if we want to talk just PP, you know I can talk that all day. We definitely went off on a number of different tangents and reasons for the loss in one NFCCG.

I like to look at the whole picture, look for patterns and outliers and correlations. That's always my angle. And team building and philosophy (if you haven't noticed, LOL). I do off season projections too in an effort to set up realistic expectations for the season.

I also like to look at context. Especially within a game. I think this is where fans really get separated/heated; lots of unrealistic expectations out there (too high/low).

Just some background for future conversations; not that we've really disagreed on much (other than this pie chart-of-blame for the loss).

I think we have a golden opportunity to evaluate the post season PP here using your own original post. Can you run this same comp for Stafford? Not just because of the NFCCG but because we can stack our own post season TTT splits /production up against him as a Superbowl winning QB. Context.

Looking at the numbers in the post season. Jimmy's numbers with a clean pocket were 47 dropbacks, 66% completion, 2 TD's, 0 int's with 108.7 passer rating and a 2.28 TTT. Jimmy's numbers while under pressure were 33 dropbacks, 44.4% completion, 0 TD's, 3 int's with a 16.8 passer rating and a 3.40 TTT.

After that we can talk about adjusting for expectations. For instance, the Rams OL was stellar in PP and health going into the playoffs, IIRC. Ours was limping (literally) into the playoffs. Both OL's were facing top tier defenses. I'd have lower expectations for ours over theirs. I also would expect our DL to give them their biggest challenge of the year.

If its easier, we can talk about just the TTP since that's just PP. It's such a new stat, it would be cool to explore what's normal and what's not? Or at least compare that one game for both teams. How much time did each QB have before pressured? How many attempts were there in that average TTP?

We already know what's normal, what's not for QB pressure rates and those effects.

Wherever you'd like to go...
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 7, 2023 at 11:08 AM ]

Thank you.

Haha. The bold would be fun to tabulate. The average time wouldn't matter either as some would be 3 step, 5, 7, PA, bootleg, etc. requiring different amounts of time to execute.

Simply, was he pressured within that play call (drop back) or not?
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 7, 2023 at 11:20 AM ]

Thank you.

Haha. The bold would be fun to tabulate. The average time wouldn't matter either as some would be 3 step, 5, 7, PA, bootleg, etc. requiring different amounts of time to execute.

Or you could stop trying to put a stat to everything and just use the old eye
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Thank you.

I certainly have and even jotted it down myself and posted here.

Unfortunately, not everyone pays attention to the OL. I mean, it is the OL. Most don't see past what the QB does.

So for the playoffs, the eye test? No, not good enough to win a Superbowl.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 7, 2023 at 11:40 AM ]

Unfortunately, not everyone pays attention to the OL. I mean, it is the OL. Most don't see past what the QB does.

I'd say not good enough to carry the QB to a SB which is what even you agree was needed.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Thank you.

lol posted what.. your "no, you" comebacks ?

you don't post anything to show your claims.. why is that.. afraid to expose something.. or afraid to have a good football convo instead of back pedaling the whole time ?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

you don't post anything to show your claims.. why is that.. afraid to expose something.. or afraid to have a good football convo instead of back pedaling the whole time ?

Jimmy! Jimmy! Jimmy!

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

I'd say not good enough to carry the QB to a SB which is what even you agree was needed.

Quite honestly, given the context of how injured Williams was, Compton struggling, IOL having its issues, against a really good DL and opponent who knew us very well, I thought the PP held up pretty well. So much so, to get our usual passing production (2 passing TD's, 230 yards, 1 INT).

The difference was the run blocking. This is where we usually get 2 TD's as well. Like I said before, related to JUST the OL, the RB was far more the issue than the PP (which wasn't stellar either overall but good enough to produce the usual output).

And yes, to win a Superbowl, with Jimmy, you would need supreme PP.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 7, 2023 at 12:59 PM ]

Jimmy! Jimmy! Jimmy!
L, L, L

Jimmy! Jimmy! Jimmy!
L, L, L

Winning.
No. It is too generate pressure in a reasonable amount of time. The longer pass pro holds up the less likely the pass rush gets home. The FO spends a lot of money and resources generating a pass rush that can get there in under 3 seconds. Because as I just showed you, a pass rush that takes longer to get there is less efficient at getting home.

Why are you moving the goal post to 3s? Who cares.

THEIR goal is to stop the run and bring as much QB pressure in waves as possible hence their absolute obsession in their team building strategy.

Here's a snippet of why and this is JUST sacks:

Sacks Taken vs Win Percentage

This chart includes the win percentages split by sacks taken in a game of every quarterback to play at least 48 games between 2011 and the third week of the 2017 regular season. The line for NFL Avg clearly shows that taking sacks is bad for wins. If a team goes an entire game without their quarterback being sacked, they have almost a seven-in-ten chance of winning. A team taking only two sacks will be more likely to win than lose, while a team that takes its third sack drops to just above a four-in-ten chance of winning.

I am not moving the goalposts. My argument this entire time has been that time is a better indicator of pass rush/pass pro success than a hollow stat like pressure rate that gives no context.

If a pass rush takes 4.5 seconds to generate a 75% pressure rate and they come up with 0 sacks, do you really believe that the pass rush was successful? Do you really believe that pass protection failed?

No it's not. Pressure is pressure. It affects the QB just the same. Sure it's more ideal if you can get there quicker but the pressure itself is what's most important to winning. Whether it's 1 DE winning a bull rush against a T in 3+s or all 4 DL busting through untouched immediately, pressure is pressure. Pressure simply disrupts everything and forces a QB to make split second decisions off schedule.

It's so important, it's one of the primary reasons we asked, "What are Brock's numbers under pressure?"

I apologise for taking a shot earlier. I got a little triggered by your accusation of me moving the goalposts. I assure you that I have not. I am more calm now and ready to continue this discussion.

My whole thing has been about pass protection vs pass rush. This isn't about the QB. This is the O line thread and so the discussion should try to stay on that subject. I brought up pass rush because it goes hand and hand with pass protection. The duscission should not be about how it affects the QB. The discussion should be about the success or failure of pass protection.

I am not arguing that pressure rate doesn't have a high correlation to wins and losses. I am simply saying that not all pressures are created equal. There is such a thing as coverage sacks and pressures. I would argue that the Niners defense has 14 of those coverage sacks this season. You simply cannot place a whole lot of blame on an o line for not protecting the QB longer than 3.7 seconds. I mean Pass Rush Win Rate (PRWR) is litterally measured by how often a rusher beats their block in 2.5 seconds.

What you are arguing when it comes to pressure rate does not separate PRWR from Coverage Win Rate (CWR). So your entire argument has a very shaky foundation when it comes strictly to pass protection. What the 3.7 seconds TTP tells me is that pass protection held up and the QB/route runners did not get the job done.

No worries. I came at you a bit hard myself and while on a long bike ride, made a mental note to PM you to apologize myself. So

As to PP, if we want to talk just PP, you know I can talk that all day. We definitely went off on a number of different tangents and reasons for the loss in one NFCCG.

I like to look at the whole picture, look for patterns and outliers and correlations. That's always my angle. And team building and philosophy (if you haven't noticed, LOL). I do off season projections too in an effort to set up realistic expectations for the season.

I also like to look at context. Especially within a game. I think this is where fans really get separated/heated; lots of unrealistic expectations out there (too high/low).

Just some background for future conversations; not that we've really disagreed on much (other than this pie chart-of-blame for the loss).

I think we have a golden opportunity to evaluate the post season PP here using your own original post. Can you run this same comp for Stafford? Not just because of the NFCCG but because we can stack our own post season TTT splits /production up against him as a Superbowl winning QB. Context.

Looking at the numbers in the post season. Jimmy's numbers with a clean pocket were 47 dropbacks, 66% completion, 2 TD's, 0 int's with 108.7 passer rating and a 2.28 TTT. Jimmy's numbers while under pressure were 33 dropbacks, 44.4% completion, 0 TD's, 3 int's with a 16.8 passer rating and a 3.40 TTT.

After that we can talk about adjusting for expectations. For instance, the Rams OL was stellar in PP and health going into the playoffs, IIRC. Ours was limping (literally) into the playoffs. Both OL's were facing top tier defenses. I'd have lower expectations for ours over theirs. I also would expect our DL to give them their biggest challenge of the year.

If its easier, we can talk about just the TTP since that's just PP. It's such a new stat, it would be cool to explore what's normal and what's not? Or at least compare that one game for both teams. How much time did each QB have before pressured? How many attempts were there in that average TTP?

We already know what's normal, what's not for QB pressure rates and those effects.

Wherever you'd like to go...

If we are discussing anything beyond O line performance; pass pro or run blocking. Than we should save it for another thread. I am not saying that I am not interested in the research. Because diving deeper into pressure rate vs TTP and how they relate to winning or losing is something I have been pondering all day.
Winning.
yes they are

Share 49ersWebzone