There are 246 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
an annual issue is only based on opinions.. last year OL wasn't the main issue.. this year it's an unknown...

odds are against them (OL). but they can't be the main issue until it's an issue

I hear you. I wouldn't say it was a huge issue. In fact, I would imagine it might have been graded even better than 2019 as a 'whole' and that's saying something given Brunskill + Compton on that right side.

Unfortunately, it was a huge issue in the playoffs. When they can't run block, its game over for this offense. And then we know they'll fold in pass protection when it matters most and the pressure is on.

It's like Mike McGlinchey as a player...solid, high end at times esp. in RB, but when it's an important moment, you know he's going to fold like a lawn chair in pass protection. LOL
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 18, 2022 at 11:02 AM ]
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Haha. Oh really? C and RG didn't play into those losses?

Talk about delusion of your own.

Also, your interpretation of my stance of G is way off too.

The 9ers not winning those games isn't proof that the O line isn't good enough. Thats just patently ridiculous. It's not even proof Jimmy isn't good enough to ever win a SB and he was the biggest culprit.

When everything has a part to play you can't just point to one thing and then take a victory lap as proof that the entire process is wrong.

The TEAM wasn't good enough.

That bold is especially true.

Do you feel better now about the areas that cost us after the off season acquisitions? QB, CB, SCB, S, OL, LB, ER, etc.?
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 18, 2022 at 11:01 AM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
nc is concerned about a very very important part of this team and maybe the biggest key to the season ,. plus it has only one known commodity on it... yes by all means. we need to take nc outside and beat the s**t out of him for being understandably concerned about this vital piece of our team . homers

We are all concerned. The issue we have is two poster want to make a process based argument with examples that don't show what they say it shows. It's why me, Hoov NY, 49ATT and the others have been debating this for years.

Have to have a top 3 OL to win a SB? False

Other teams consistently prioritize OL more? False

DT's are a dime a dozen but the guys that block those DT's are critical? Absurdly false

9ers O line talent and lack of prioritization primarily to blame for SB and NFC losses? False

If it was just an argument that we needed to add more talent at that spot it'd be one thing. Of course I counter that we've added more talent there than DB the entire time the ShanaLynch team has been here but at least that argument holds water. It's also fair to ask have the 9ers added the right players with picks. But to pretend they have ignored the position as a whole or that anyone has argued that a QB can single handedly carry a crap O line is the issue.

I want to give the young guys a chance to see what we have. I don't see that as a unreasonable position. Maybe they will be terrible and NC and Gm can take victory laps. Maybe they will be good (Like in 2019 and 2021) and the goal posts will be moved to they aren't good enough to be elite in the last 10 minutes of an important game when Venus is in retrograde during the Year of the Dragon. Either way it's now a wait and see.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
you know you can insert any position group and say the same thing ? since 95 !!

The reason this one is still going is because it's an annual issue and by the likes of actions and words from the decion makers, it'll remain an issue.

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you on the other stuff too. I love to talk strengths and weaknesses. So feel free and I'll always chime in. I talk everything from DC, DL, ER, S, CB, QB, TE, injuries, off season plans, team needs threads, FA, etc.

other areas have come and went over the years. but pass blocking has been the consistent negative in this team/ i say since 2011 but if you want to roll it back to 95 that is fine with me

Add run blocking in the playoffs too which sucked. Hopefully the new personnel can recreate that magic and effectiveness from 2019. We were an elite run blocking and running team...could have run all the way to #6 if Kyle didn't decide to go with the cold hand instead.

Do you feel better now about the areas that cost us after the off season acquisitions? QB, CB, SCB, S, OL, LB, ER, etc.?

I would've felt better to use the 20 million months ago and address the few spots i wish they would've upgraded. That's my issue. But with what they had I am pretty happy with what they did. But it's potentially a huge botch of an opportunity to get even better across the board.
We are all concerned. The issue we have is two poster want to make a process based argument with examples that don't show what they say it shows. It's why me, Hoov NY, 49ATT and the others have been debating this for years.

DT's are a dime a dozen but the guys that block those DT's are critical? Absurdly false

9ers O line talent and lack of prioritization primarily to blame for SB and NFC losses? False

If it was just an argument that we needed to add more talent at that spot it'd be one thing. Of course I counter that we've added more talent there than DB the entire time the ShanaLynch team has been here but at least that argument holds water. It's also fair to ask have the 9ers added the right players with picks. But to pretend they have ignored the position as a whole or that anyone has argued that a QB can single handedly carry a crap O line is the issue.

I want to give the young guys a chance to see what we have. I don't see that as a unreasonable position. Maybe they will be terrible and NC and Gm can take victory laps. Maybe they will be good (Like in 2019 and 2021) and the goal posts will be moved to they aren't good enough to be elite in the last 10 minutes of an important game when Venus is in retrograde during the Year of the Dragon. Either way it's now a wait and see.

Cute.

It's why me, Hoov NY, 49ATT and the others have been debating this for years. --- you debate this because every year (until now) you say it's "good enough" and need to continue to justify being wrong on that front. The talent pool clearly wasn't good enough.

Well, injuries cost us --- No s**t, hence why it wasn't going to be good enough. This OL unit is ALWAYS injured and therfore, needs more talent and real depth added. More resources than 5th-UDFA's and Tom Compton-only off seasons.

Have to have a top 3 OL to win a SB? False --- the last 3 have. Do they need to be top 3? No, upper level. If you want to define it as top 5, top 10, fine. But you ALSO need the QB to also be playing at the level. This shouldn't even be debated. You need both.

Other teams consistently prioritize OL more? False --- They actually do. They draft C's and G's in the top 2 rounds, first picks even, trade QB's for G's, spend big on keeping them or buying them, T's are the first to fly off the board through the top 15, trade up for, even RT's, bought entire new units after losing, etc. Nobody is saying we haven't done some of that too. Just not to the same level as those teams who prioritize it more...or to the level we'd need given what we know about injuries here. They've also got a better eye for talent and draft and develop quality starters.

DT's are a dime a dozen but the guys that block those DT's are critical? Absurdly false --- absolutely true. This is why top OL don't hit FA anymore and why there's an oversarurated market for DL. And why teams don't miss dudes like Buckner and Kinlaw hardly at all. Because it's become an overvalued, oversarurated position and one you can throw numbers and different skill sets at. On the flip side, Laken Tomlinson was the top OL FA. LOL

9ers O line talent and lack of prioritization primarily to blame for SB and NFC losses? False --- it absolutely was a top if not, THE top reason in 2021 (couldn't run block or pass protect when needed). 2019, pass protection, for sure. That's also in conjunction with a QB who ALSO, was not playing at an upper level. You need both.

Anything else?
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 18, 2022 at 12:26 PM ]

I would've felt better to use the 20 million months ago and address the few spots i wish they would've upgraded. That's my issue. But with what they had I am pretty happy with what they did. But it's potentially a huge botch of an opportunity to get even better across the board.

They still made a ton of acquisitions, even in FA, plus the draft. How do you feel about those?

I understand your position about the additional cap space. That would have been nice. But don't you think they'd just pin that for Bosa and Deebo this year instead of next instead of adding new team FA acquisitions (which they aren't big on at all...maybe one).
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 18, 2022 at 11:33 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Crazy to think you are proven right that guards are way important than the team thinks they are because we didn't win a SB.

To suggest that proves your right is the epitome of delusions of grandeur.

The primary reasons the 9ers lost the SB and the NFC Title games were qb and secondary. To say it was the o line when they outplayed the opposition o line is patently absurd. To compare their play to the Chiefs in the 2021 SB or the Bengals this year is absurd.

That argument is the definition of cuz I say so

Delusional is a perfect term.

There's so much BS spewed in this thread without legit facts… cuz I said so… yup perfect way to prove everyone in here and across the NFL why weren't all wrong

It's probably best to just ignore him and let him do his thing.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Probably. He's lost down the rabbit hole.

Sucks cause NC is my bro...but this s**t is just unbearable.

Sucks cause NC is my bro...but this s**t is just unbearable.

You forgot to PM Hysterikal too.

NY: There's so much BS spewed in this thread without legit facts… cuz I said so… yup perfect way to prove everyone in here and across the NFL why weren't all wrong

Also NY, 9ers4eva and Hoovtrain: No rebuttal. ^

NY: There's so much BS spewed in this thread without legit facts… cuz I said so… yup perfect way to prove everyone in here and across the NFL why weren't all wrong

Rebuttal to what?

Rebuttal to what?

I love you, man. I'm out.

NC: You don't read in here...
I've stated what I need to say, provided facts over an over…I would never expect you to change your thought process at all at this pt. NC, you've gone so far one way that it's some weird obsession now…it's gotten to a point where it's just yelling and being a*****es to each other. Like I said I'm not gonna arguing like that anymore in this thread. It's a waste of time and you can't debating with people like that.

so yeah there's nothing to rebuttal at this pt. You think guard are vastly more important than the NFL thinks. You believe QB doesn't help improve everything on offense including OL play. You can't provide solid feedback on our players at that position to form a fair opinion on them. I can't have a healthy debate with someone that thinks like that.

you will be arguing with yourself on all that
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

that is a huge piece of misinformation spewed by a couple of posters.. no names mentioned but the initials of one is 49 alltime for sure...... if people like i or gm or nc end up right and this questionable offensive line here on july 18th will be a train wreck on oct 18th,,..... no one will take victory laps.. we will not be happy. and anyone who has been on the zone long enough know that if the line turns out to be as great as some like you think. we will say we were wrong and own up to it. to many times. some posters want to paint people who have some doubts and concerns about this team as haters who want the team to fail so they can tell you . i told you so. that is pure bull s**t that is being spewed by a few posters..... do you need their initials again
Share 49ersWebzone