There are 156 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Why wasn't he drafted?
I'm excited to see the competition play out at all 3 IOL positions. Banks, Brunskill, Brendel, West, McKivitz, Moore, Burford and Zakelj! May the best men win! This is assuming Mack retires.

My guess for the 2022 starting offensive line:
Williams / Banks / Brendel / Moore / McGlinchey
Traded much of our future to get our QB.

We didn't let him see the field much being so raw. Everyone knows raw QBs need extra protection, not less.

Our main focus seems to be getting him weapons and not near as much attention in protecting him.

I see a solid OLine if and only if we have four individual situations that work out to be best case.

While it is possible all will work out great, more probable Lance will have to function with OLine Lite.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
At #61 (or 63, whichever) , there were still a good handful of starter-type OLs out there and we needed OL/EDGE/CB all pretty much equally. Ok, maybe needed OG/C most, but we were hurting at CB and have needed the Bosa-bookend ever since the Dee Ford thing went south.

So w/ our first pick one would assume that BPA, Drake was a way better talent than any of the multiple OLs on board. Had OLs been available who were better at Oline than Drake was at EDGE, i hope we would have taken OL. Not knowing much about any of the above, it must have been this way when we picked. (BPA & based on need)

Or, the OLs available until we finally got one, must not have been improvements over what we already had . That is the only way to rationalize why we put off OL til last. Basically, our draft team didn't think OLs available were improvements over what we had vs the superior talent at DB and Edge. I hope the Tyrion pick (RB) turns out better than our experience with Joe Williams, McKinnon,(trade), and Hurd. Or, when we finally got our OL, he was truly BPA, (and not necessarily based on need).

Much prefer F. O taking RBs a lot later in draft, Rd 6,7 or UDFA….but as usual, F.O knows a whole lot more about what we actually need the most (maybe they KNOW OGs Jay Moore and Banks are starting this yr, and Brun/ McK are plugged in at RT). We (fans) never KNOW just how much progress Moore and Banks have achieved, and maybe the same goes for Brun/McK at RT. Not knowing the inside scoop, it is impossible to know who was actually the best player to take at the time. It is/will always be that way.
Personally, i think edge, rb and wr were chosen in anticipation of our regular season ending injury trend. It happens every year it seems, and Edge, wr, and rb are the positons most difficult to replace if the starter goes down for the season.

For the OLine, i think the most important position is the left tackle (at least in Kyle's system), we got that nailed with Trent. The rest of the OLine positions (lg,c,rg,rt) can be just decent athletes in a zone blocking system if (big if) they really play well as a unit. Zone blocking (for the run) is more of a positional blocking than gap-power which is size and strength centered. The other caveat is that no one on the OLine can be below average athletically.

As for pass blocking, the OTs are more important than the interior line, because the interior linemen, if they can just clog the pass rush lanes, they have won half the battle. Add in average to good athleticism and strength (for the interior line) and i think you have a decent pass protecting line - so long as - your tackles are good to great in pass protections. Its the Tackles that have to match up with the elite rushers one on one - from a pass rush point of view, so they have to be good pass protectors.

Now if you really want a super bowl level OLine, then your center must be good to great level. You can't have an average center (imo with Kyle's scheme) because of the pass protection calls. Kyles scheme is based on top of a consistent run game, and if you can pin the defensive center down (nose tackle or DTs) because of a an excellent and strong center, its very difficult for defenses to defend Kyle's outside zone scheme. They will have trouble sliding outside to shut those explosive outside zone runs down.

Overall I am excited about the new OLine rookies, they look above average in all areas, and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts in typical zone run schemes.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
As much as I'm cool with adding OL is later round and grabbing a UDFA center who seem to have fell, at some point you're not going to be able to neutralize the better DL talent in the league with lesser talent. Yes, we can develop guys and they might be great in the future, but there are reasons in a passing league why OL fall. Again what this says to me is what Kyle thinks about what's been plaguing his offense when it counts; he clearly doesn't think it's the blocking. If so, he takes a IOL in the 3rd and not a RB. Same for last year with Sermon. It's crystal clear to me the team thinks Jimmy limits them so significantly they believe wholeheartedly blocking (run and pass) talent has been good enough and it's the skill positions role players that needed a serious upgrade.

Also why there's been no real urgency to understand who's starting at center. I don't think they really care and are cool with their options.

My only problem with this approach is that Trey got hurt behind last seasons line and missed games because of it.
Trey got hurt because Kyle wanted to run QB powers with him. Not wise imo and not something I would be doing with my franchise QB. Trey is not Cam Newton.
[ Edited by Wolf_Packer_53 on May 1, 2022 at 11:23 AM ]
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Why wasn't he drafted?

Because he's not good... Always the hope that we can develop him into a starter down the road.
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
As much as I'm cool with adding OL is later round and grabbing a UDFA center who seem to have fell, at some point you're not going to be able to neutralize the better DL talent in the league with lesser talent. Yes, we can develop guys and they might be great in the future, but there are reasons in a passing league why OL fall. Again what this says to me is what Kyle thinks about what's been plaguing his offense when it counts; he clearly doesn't think it's the blocking. If so, he takes a IOL in the 3rd and not a RB. Same for last year with Sermon. It's crystal clear to me the team thinks Jimmy limits them so significantly they believe wholeheartedly blocking (run and pass) talent has been good enough and it's the skill positions role players that needed a serious upgrade.

Also why there's been no real urgency to understand who's starting at center. I don't think they really care and are cool with their options.

My only problem with this approach is that Trey got hurt behind last seasons line and missed games because of it.
Trey got hurt because Kyle wanted to run QB powers with him. Not wise imo and not something I would be doing with my franchise QB. Trey is not Cam Newton.

I think all our QBs under Kyle have been hurt to some extent. I still remember the pounding Beathard took In 2017. That was brutal to watch.
For now:

LT: Trent Williams; Colton McKivitz & Sam Schlueter
LG: Aaron Banks; Keaton Sutherland & Nick Zakelj
C: Alex Mack; Jake Brendel, Dohnovan West & Jason Poe
RG: Daniel Brunskill; Jaylon Moore & Spencer Burford
RT: Mike McGlinchey; Justin Skule & Alfredo Gutierrez
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
For now:

brendel at center makes me spit up, banks is a total unknown. even when health mm is very very bad in pass protection. maybe some of the kids we picked will help out.. god . i hope mack does not leave..... brendel.. good god
Originally posted by cciowa:
For now:

brendel at center makes me spit up, banks is a total unknown. even when health mm is very very bad in pass protection. maybe some of the kids we picked will help out.. god . i hope mack does not leave..... brendel.. good god

Brendel has looked good in pre-season, but that's pre-season.

Agreed. Is he a guy that will get better and better or tap out and start declining like we see with a ton of these hope-n-pray players?

We didn't add a single starter most likely but the depth could be terrific.

The FO is kind of backwards here. Instead of going after starters which by default, improves the depth, they add more depth and hope players rise out of that group as starters.

Why wasn't he drafted?

His UCLA game film was terrible.
The Niners have a history of platooning some of its OL. They did it during a Super Bowl season. When talent level is similar, why not switch quarters with two (or more) players so they don't run out of gas in the 4th?
Agreed. Is he a guy that will get better and better or tap out and start declining like we see with a ton of these hope-n-pray players?

We didn't add a single starter most likely but the depth could be terrific.

The FO is kind of backwards here. Instead of going after starters which by default, improves the depth, they add more depth and hope players rise out of that group as starters.

That is exactly how I see it. These guy maybe good but if Mack stays they are going to have a hard time winning a roster spot against, McKivitz, & Moore both of which can play Tackle if needed. Skule is a Tackle and then you have Jake Brendel a back up Center but are they going to cut him and keep a rookie that is not ready to play. If Mack stays and Brunskill wins right guard I'm not sure if both or ether will make the Active team. If Mack retires and Jake Brendel becomes the starter, Moore wins the starting right Guard, Maybe they make the team however that is allot to have happen.
Best case scenario, Mack plays one more year, someone beats out Brunskill for guard allowing Brunskill to be swing tackle, freeing up a spot for West because I don't think he lasts the year on the PS once injuries start hitting.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GangstaGangsta:

Why wasn't he drafted?

His UCLA game film was terrible.

West is one of Herm Edwards' favorite player on the team... John Lynch is the god father to Herm's kid... we got the inside scoop on that one..
Share 49ersWebzone