LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by thl408:
OL got better! Now we can play 11 on 11 football with Lance back there too. DEs can't just pin their ears back, they gotta plan for everything...that alone will improve PP.

That is a big plus to having a mobile QB. They have to stay disciplined with their rush lanes. Also, if it's 3rd & 4, defenses have to be careful playing man coverage, and if they do they will need to assign a spy. Otherwise it's an easy scramble for Lance.

Yes sir! Been harping on that for a while. Having a mobile QB can help shanny dictate coverages even more.

Can't wait!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
OL got better! Now we can play 11 on 11 football with Lance back there too. DEs can't just pin their ears back, they gotta plan for everything...that alone will improve PP.

That is a big plus to having a mobile QB. They have to stay disciplined with their rush lanes. Also, if it's 3rd & 4, defenses have to be careful playing man coverage, and if they do they will need to assign a spy. Otherwise it's an easy scramble for Lance.

It's going to be much more difficult to stop the 49er offense on third and shorts now. Very difficult. I hope ShanaLynch gives Trey a better defense than Steve Young did back during the Seifert years. No more Trading Bosa to Dallas because he's taking Yoga classes.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Or what Wilson does - a scramble, coverage break down, deep pass completion on 3rd and 4. What I hate about the Seahawks is every down, you have to defend the entire field if you choose coverage over pressure. You can't really just sit on routes and rush 4. I hope we can finally get to that place as an offense.

Mike Shanahan had some wonderful scramble drills for Steve back in the day, and I'm pretty sure they will be installing those ASAP once Trey's the starter.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
It's going to be much more difficult to stop the 49er offense on third and shorts now. Very difficult. I hope ShanaLynch gives Trey a better defense than Steve Young did back during the Seifert years. No more Trading Bosa to Dallas because he's taking Yoga classes.

the wprst thing we did was to give young a horrible run game after ricky left. we screwed around. touted young as the best running back on our team like it was some sort of a badge of honor for 3 plus years until we finally got kirby.... that always upset me the most aside from cutting lott i that era.. third on the list is not trading young for derrick thomas but thats a whole other story
Mike Shanahan had some wonderful scramble drills for Steve back in the day, and I'm pretty sure they will be installing those ASAP once Trey's the starter.

I hope so. Our receivers blow chunks at off schedule plays. Now they can practice it. Play not complete by 2.5 seconds? Scramble drill.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Totally understand. I really wished we had taken a C too in the draft for that reason.

Nah. Compton is plenty good enough.

But now, I think the team's weakest units are receivers and linebacker. Not much quality depth there.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Totally understand. I really wished we had taken a C too in the draft for that reason.

Nah. Compton is plenty good enough.

But now, I think the team's weakest units are receivers and linebacker. Not much quality depth there.

You're not allowed to speak to me anymore. LOL
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
This. That's what I'm thinking and/or to push Skule and McKivitz. Someone needs to be asked to play that 4th OG depth position behind Tomlinson or Banks. Maybe Brunskill has the ability to become the new Mack.

NC, I might be wrong about Foerster's return. I know Kyle respects his opinion greatly and this feel like a offensive line coach's draft. Maybe Foerster and all 3 of our QBs getting hurt did what couldn't be done before; get us to invest significantly in the OL.

This is my best guess today.

LT: Trent Williams; Shon Coleman
LG: Laken Tomlinson; Colton McKivitz
C: Alex Mack; Daniel Brunskill
RG: Aaron Banks
RT: Mike McGlinchey; Jaylon Moore

We kept 8 last year to start with several on the PS to call up and we used them all. Lynch seemed to be very happy with Shon being in the building and working hard. He does have talent. Brunskill can focus primarily at C as can Lenny McKivitz at G. Moore is going to push McGlinchey at RT and double as a G.

Shanny said in the day 3 presser Moore will be a guard.
Expect McKivitz to be the backup RT.

He is, that's his best spot most likely at G or RT. I think he cross trains at both since Banks/Tomlinson are near locks at G.

I think Brunskill goes back to tackle and stays there. It is where he does his best work, Moore is first off the bench for all interior positions, Brunskill and Coleman are right and left tack respectively. Mckivitz is depth maybe primary backup center if Moore doesn't show aptitude or we dont fish for one more low cost vet.

Normally I'd agree but Kyle said if they didn't bring in Mack, Brunskill was the starting C. He's, literally, our only option there. The addition of Moore and Coleman back gives everyone the option to stop cross training all over the place and focus on just one position at one side of the OL.

Now, if they bring in a really good backup C with experience, I could then see Moore full time to G and Brunskill compete at RT with McGlinchey.

But that backup C position is huge so I think Kyle trusts Brunskill there to learn from Mack now.

i just do not see Brunksill as a natural center...I will buy it when I see any evidence that he is suited to the job.

This would have been my first choice also. I do agree with PhillyNiner that Brunskill is way more of a natural at OT than OC. I don't think they have long term plans for Brunskill (contract value), but one thing is clear; Brunskill isn't the OC of the future who will ultimately replace Mack. IMHO that's a mistake.

I mean I get that you cant have everything, that isn't how a salary capped NFL works. Especially in a year where it went down, not even flat. That we are here hand wringing about back up center and depth wide receivers is some real first world problems, but yeah man, I really think we would be a lot better off with Brunskill training to be the swing tackle of the future and maybe instead of Moore we take a guy who has center chops if Moore doesn't. Feels a bit like complaining about the color of your free car when they hit interior line hard and corners hard and those were huge needs AND landed the QB of the future though.
https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/5/4/22419377/49ers-add-ol-alfredo-gutierrez-through-the-international-player-pathway-program
I want ten oline who can't start!

Or putting his d!ck in teammates faces.
[ Edited by Baylor on May 4, 2021 at 12:57 PM ]
I love what Shanalynch did with the OL...no more problems at RG, Banks will end that sore spot. Braintrust was thrilled to get AB. Notre Dame keeps on producing top OL all the time. As for Moore, I think he's a terrific pick. He excels in a zone run scheme. Whether he's put at OG or OT I see this guy as rock solid and athletic. What's not to like. As a group, adding Mack at C and Banks at RG will really solidify it. Banks will help McGlinchey by his presence and ability as a pass protector. Moore should be able to push McGlinchey. All in all, I think this should be the best OL we've had in some years.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
This. That's what I'm thinking and/or to push Skule and McKivitz. Someone needs to be asked to play that 4th OG depth position behind Tomlinson or Banks. Maybe Brunskill has the ability to become the new Mack.

NC, I might be wrong about Foerster's return. I know Kyle respects his opinion greatly and this feel like a offensive line coach's draft. Maybe Foerster and all 3 of our QBs getting hurt did what couldn't be done before; get us to invest significantly in the OL.

This is my best guess today.

LT: Trent Williams; Shon Coleman
LG: Laken Tomlinson; Colton McKivitz
C: Alex Mack; Daniel Brunskill
RG: Aaron Banks
RT: Mike McGlinchey; Jaylon Moore

We kept 8 last year to start with several on the PS to call up and we used them all. Lynch seemed to be very happy with Shon being in the building and working hard. He does have talent. Brunskill can focus primarily at C as can Lenny McKivitz at G. Moore is going to push McGlinchey at RT and double as a G.

Shanny said in the day 3 presser Moore will be a guard.
Expect McKivitz to be the backup RT.

He is, that's his best spot most likely at G or RT. I think he cross trains at both since Banks/Tomlinson are near locks at G.

I think Brunskill goes back to tackle and stays there. It is where he does his best work, Moore is first off the bench for all interior positions, Brunskill and Coleman are right and left tack respectively. Mckivitz is depth maybe primary backup center if Moore doesn't show aptitude or we dont fish for one more low cost vet.

Normally I'd agree but Kyle said if they didn't bring in Mack, Brunskill was the starting C. He's, literally, our only option there. The addition of Moore and Coleman back gives everyone the option to stop cross training all over the place and focus on just one position at one side of the OL.

Now, if they bring in a really good backup C with experience, I could then see Moore full time to G and Brunskill compete at RT with McGlinchey.

But that backup C position is huge so I think Kyle trusts Brunskill there to learn from Mack now.

i just do not see Brunksill as a natural center...I will buy it when I see any evidence that he is suited to the job.

This would have been my first choice also. I do agree with PhillyNiner that Brunskill is way more of a natural at OT than OC. I don't think they have long term plans for Brunskill (contract value), but one thing is clear; Brunskill isn't the OC of the future who will ultimately replace Mack. IMHO that's a mistake.

I agree. But at least now he'll learn the position correctly. Dude was badly behind the 8 ball moving late to C and having no mentor. But in like him best at T too.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I love what Shanalynch did with the OL...no more problems at RG, Banks will end that sore spot. Braintrust was thrilled to get AB. Notre Dame keeps on producing top OL all the time. As for Moore, I think he's a terrific pick. He excels in a zone run scheme. Whether he's put at OG or OT I see this guy as rock solid and athletic. What's not to like. As a group, adding Mack at C and Banks at RG will really solidify it. Banks will help McGlinchey by his presence and ability as a pass protector. Moore should be able to push McGlinchey. All in all, I think this should be the best OL we've had in some years.

Preach.

And TBF, there's only one AB and he lives in the WZ.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 4, 2021 at 1:07 PM ]
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Share 49ersWebzone