There are 251 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't see Shon Coleman making it, I think we go with 8, maybe Coleman goes to the PS along with 1-2 other OL(Shepley & Skule)
Originally posted by NCommand:
My man, I just call it like I see it.

LT: Trent Williams; Shon Coleman
LG: Laken Tomlinson; Colton McKivitz
C: Alex Mack; Daniel Brunskill
RG: Aaron Banks
RT: Mike McGlinchey; Jaylon Moore

That's now 3 if the 5 starters who are excellent at pass protection and another waiting in the wings. This also always guys like Coleman, McKivitz and Brunskill to focus on one position (coaches already know they have versatility). Best of all, a guy like Moore can actually push a starter and Banks/Moore add security in case Tomlinson moves on next year.

Keep stacking young talent!

I think your probably right. I think they mite keep Skule over Coleman? Would they play Banks at Tackle when one of them are out?? Or is that for Skule and Moore only?? practice one of the rookie on the left side and the other on the right side?? Move Laken to the right and play Banks on the left side? There are a bunch of option, I think they will try to move as little as possible and just play Banks at right Guard. Starting the year with Mack and Banks looks much better then Garland and Brunskill.
I hope we do roll with 9 OL on our 53, (starters Williams-Tomlinson-Mack-Banks-McGlinchey, bench Coleman-McKivitz-Brunskill-Moore) Skule can battle Compton for a PS spot.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I don't see Shon Coleman making it, I think we go with 8, maybe Coleman goes to the PS along with 1-2 other OL(Shepley & Skule)

I see Coleman making it because Brunskill is no longer thought of as first option at tackle (but at center - which is a good thing). I think at tackle the depth starts at Coleman, then Skule. That's 2 swing tackles which is very similar to what we did in 2019 with Brunskill was our UDFA and Skule gets drafted. Each year Trent gets older I think less of a chance he plays every game. That first tackle off the bench needs to be pretty good. I'd say there's a thought the OL needs to have a lot more younger healthy talented depth. I like using draft picks as developmental depth; you get 3 years to make it and if you don't you're looking to get cut. Given the picks, Skule is the odd man out IMHO. He needs to beat Coleman to make the team.

Agreed. I can't imagine Skule beating our Coleman. If Brunkskll were at RT and we drafted a C,he'd likely beat them both.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yeah, these aren't 5th-UDFA's like players in McKivitz, Skule, Brunskill, etc.

This is a 2nd round talent in a very very deep and talented OL year. Even Jaylon Moore going in the 5th is the equivalent of going 3rd-4th in normal years. This was far from a normal year. One of the best and deepest drafts ever for IOL.

I can't see how anyone could "watch" Banks film and come away unimpressed?

first-team all-American and 3 yr starter at a damn good OL college.

Wide base, great anchor, dudes got bear trap hands, his first step for his size is actually pretty darn good. Now I didn't think he was a top 50 player. I thought he was early to mid rd 3rd round talent...Mainly because of the position he plays. BUT if he's a day 1 starter at RG then I'm all for it!

If people go look at Tomlinson at Duke he was damn near the same size and athlete as Banks. I think Banks is a little taller but everything else is identical. I think Tomlinson is like 315 now and I can see Banks losing like 5-10lbs like Laken. I don't want him losing much though, he's a grizzly bear and we want to keep it that way

Well said
This. That's what I'm thinking and/or to push Skule and McKivitz. Someone needs to be asked to play that 4th OG depth position behind Tomlinson or Banks. Maybe Brunskill has the ability to become the new Mack.

NC, I might be wrong about Foerster's return. I know Kyle respects his opinion greatly and this feel like a offensive line coach's draft. Maybe Foerster and all 3 of our QBs getting hurt did what couldn't be done before; get us to invest significantly in the OL.

This is my best guess today.

We kept 8 last year to start with several on the PS to call up and we used them all. Lynch seemed to be very happy with Shon being in the building and working hard. He does have talent. Brunskill can focus primarily at C as can Lenny McKivitz at G. Moore is going to push McGlinchey at RT and double as a G.

Shanny said in the day 3 presser Moore will be a guard.
Expect McKivitz to be the backup RT.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
This. That's what I'm thinking and/or to push Skule and McKivitz. Someone needs to be asked to play that 4th OG depth position behind Tomlinson or Banks. Maybe Brunskill has the ability to become the new Mack.

NC, I might be wrong about Foerster's return. I know Kyle respects his opinion greatly and this feel like a offensive line coach's draft. Maybe Foerster and all 3 of our QBs getting hurt did what couldn't be done before; get us to invest significantly in the OL.

We kept 8 last year to start with several on the PS to call up and we used them all. Lynch seemed to be very happy with Shon being in the building and working hard. He does have talent. Brunskill can focus primarily at C as can Lenny McKivitz at G. Moore is going to push McGlinchey at RT and double as a G.

He is, that's his best spot most likely at G or RT. I think he cross trains at both since Banks/Tomlinson are near locks at G.

He is, that's his best spot most likely at G or RT. I think he cross trains at both since Banks/Tomlinson are near locks at G.

I think Brunskill goes back to tackle and stays there. It is where he does his best work, Moore is first off the bench for all interior positions, Brunskill and Coleman are right and left tack respectively. Mckivitz is depth maybe primary backup center if Moore doesn't show aptitude or we dont fish for one more low cost vet.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

I think Brunskill goes back to tackle and stays there. It is where he does his best work, Moore is first off the bench for all interior positions, Brunskill and Coleman are right and left tack respectively. Mckivitz is depth maybe primary backup center if Moore doesn't show aptitude or we dont fish for one more low cost vet.

Normally I'd agree but Kyle said if they didn't bring in Mack, Brunskill was the starting C. He's, literally, our only option there. The addition of Moore and Coleman back gives everyone the option to stop cross training all over the place and focus on just one position at one side of the OL.

Now, if they bring in a really good backup C with experience, I could then see Moore full time to G and Brunskill compete at RT with McGlinchey.

But that backup C position is huge so I think Kyle trusts Brunskill there to learn from Mack now.
OL got better! Now we can play 11 on 11 football with Lance back there too. DEs can't just pin their ears back, they gotta plan for everything...that alone will improve PP.

The 49ers added OL Alfredo Gutierrez (from Mexico) through the International Player Pathway Program.

[ Edited by ninerFate on May 4, 2021 at 10:24 AM ]
  • thl408
OL got better! Now we can play 11 on 11 football with Lance back there too. DEs can't just pin their ears back, they gotta plan for everything...that alone will improve PP.

That is a big plus to having a mobile QB. They have to stay disciplined with their rush lanes. Also, if it's 3rd & 4, defenses have to be careful playing man coverage, and if they do they will need to assign a spy. Otherwise it's an easy scramble for Lance.

Normally I'd agree but Kyle said if they didn't bring in Mack, Brunskill was the starting C. He's, literally, our only option there. The addition of Moore and Coleman back gives everyone the option to stop cross training all over the place and focus on just one position at one side of the OL.

Now, if they bring in a really good backup C with experience, I could then see Moore full time to G and Brunskill compete at RT with McGlinchey.

But that backup C position is huge so I think Kyle trusts Brunskill there to learn from Mack now.

i just do not see Brunksill as a natural center...I will buy it when I see any evidence that he is suited to the job.
Originally posted by thl408:

That is a big plus to having a mobile QB. They have to stay disciplined with their rush lanes. Also, if it's 3rd & 4, defenses have to be careful playing man coverage, and if they do they will need to assign a spy. Otherwise it's an easy scramble for Lance.

Yes sir! Been harping on that for a while. Having a mobile QB can help shanny dictate coverages even more.

i just do not see Brunksill as a natural center...I will buy it when I see any evidence that he is suited to the job.

Totally understand. I really wished we had taken a C too in the draft for that reason.
Share 49ersWebzone