LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tyab:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Jesus Christ you making it seem like we have the worst offensive line in history. It's not that bad dude. Garland held up so well. Tomlinson was a first round pick that is flourishing in our system. We made it to the super bowl and pending a few bs calls we should've won with our "horrible" o line

LOL. Annual fan take on

Standard: "It's not that bad."
Goal: "We're going to win the Superbowl."

Because it isn't that bad. You're telling me right now Tomlinson and garland are scrubs? Cmon now
Love the optimism but lets level here. Tomlinson is avg, not great, not bad but just avg, he excels in run blocking and is below avg as a pass blocker. Good thing he shared the left with Staley and now with Williams so I think we can expect similar production in masking his deficiencies playing next to a pro bowl tackle. Garland is a back up and if we are relying on him to start its going to have to come with a strong center, unfortunately Richberg is guaranteed to miss between 6-8 games per year. We will need help on the IOL, it was a weak point after the season and now becomes even more of a glaring need. In order to compete you need to continue to add talent and in this case the Niners gambled choosing to wait to add bluechip talent, however next year they will need to draft a Guard/Center high if they want to continue to be competitive. And for Compton well he to me should have been a camp body/back up nothing more, his value comes with his familiarity with Shanahan's offense in this shortend off season so the learning curve is reduced however talent wise he doesnt measure up as a starter or nor should he be relied upon as such.
[ Edited by SF9er05 on Aug 17, 2020 at 12:12 PM ]
  • tyab
Originally posted by SF9er05:
Jesus Christ you making it seem like we have the worst offensive line in history. It's not that bad dude. Garland held up so well. Tomlinson was a first round pick that is flourishing in our system. We made it to the super bowl and pending a few bs calls we should've won with our "horrible" o line

LOL. Annual fan take on

Because it isn't that bad. You're telling me right now Tomlinson and garland are scrubs? Cmon now
Love the optimism but lets level here. Tomlinson is avg, not great, not bad but just avg, he excels in run blocking and is below avg as a pass blocker. Good thing he shared the left with Staley and now with Williams so I think we can expect similar production in masking his deficiencies playing next to a pro bowl tackle. Garland is a back up and if we are relying on him to start its going to have to come with a strong center, unfortunately Richberg is guaranteed to miss between 6-8 games per year. We will need help on the IOL, it was a weak point after the season and now becomes even more of a glaring need. In order to compete you need to continue to add talent and in this case the Niners gambled choosing to wait to add bluechip talent, however next year they will need to draft a Guard/Center high if they want to continue to be competitive. And for Compton well he to me should have been a camp body/back up nothing more, his value comes with his familiarity with Shanahan's offense in this shortend off season so the learning curve is reduced however talent wise he doesnt measure up as a starter or nor should he be relied upon as such.

I love the fact that being good at run blocking is a bad thing. ISNT that the shanahan system where the run sets up the play action? People are hating on Tomlinson and garland like they are scrubs. If our iol was that bad last year we wouldn't have made it to the super bowl let alone the playoffs. Give me a break with the iol is trash bs
  • tyab
And if anybody really thinks that our offensive line is trash then don't expect playoffs this season. You can't make the playoffs with a trash offensive line which we did so our offensive line isn't trash like people here are saying. Get real and stop pushing these bad takes on how our offensive line is trash

LOL. Annual fan take on

I love the fact that being good at run blocking is a bad thing. ISNT that the shanahan system where the run sets up the play action? People are hating on Tomlinson and garland like they are scrubs. If our iol was that bad last year we wouldn't have made it to the super bowl let alone the playoffs. Give me a break with the iol is trash bs

I never said it was a bad thing, run blocking is a huge part of this offense, Tomlinson is not the issue, could we improve there absoutely, resting on our laurels would be like saying you have an opportunity to draft a guy like Quinton Nelson but passing saying Tomlinson is there already. Not saying Tomlinson is poor but you never pass up a chance to add talent. Now on to RG and Center, if you believe that those areas are shored up then again I appreciate the optimism but lets be frank here, Ill give you a C+/B- for Tomlinson but for Garland????!!?!?!? you've got to be kidding me if you think that he shores up the o-line your mistaken. Yes we got to the Superbowl but we cannot let that be an excuse as to not upgrade our oline and couple that fact with Person was the starter at RG and we noticed a change when he wasnt in there and to be honest when he was there it wasnt something to write home about.

LOL. Annual fan take on

I never said it was a bad thing, run blocking is a huge part of this offense, Tomlinson is not the issue, could we improve there absoutely, resting on our laurels would be like saying you have an opportunity to draft a guy like Quinton Nelson but passing saying Tomlinson is there already. Not saying Tomlinson is poor but you never pass up a chance to add talent. Now on to RG and Center, if you believe that those areas are shored up then again I appreciate the optimism but lets be frank here, Ill give you a C+/B- for Tomlinson but for Garland????!!?!?!? you've got to be kidding me if you think that he shores up the o-line your mistaken. Yes we got to the Superbowl but we cannot let that be an excuse as to not upgrade our oline and couple that fact with Person was the starter at RG and we noticed a change when he wasnt in there and to be honest when he was there it wasnt something to write home about.

FYI, these are posts from a previously...

Recognize the trend of putting words in others mouths like "trash" and "scrubs" and going to the negative extremes when nobody is doing that. Just an FYI.

Your points are spot on. They were last year too, hence the point.
And if anybody really thinks that our offensive line is trash then don't expect playoffs this season. You can't make the playoffs with a trash offensive line which we did so our offensive line isn't trash like people here are saying. Get real and stop pushing these bad takes on how our offensive line is trash

Shanahan play calling covers up many of the O line weaknesses. They are good run blocker. They are not good pass blocker on the inside. If the defense know its a pass like 3rd and 10, the O line has a hard time slowing the defense down. Garland has been in the league since 2010 and has 10 starts he a back up. He's ok as a back up. Now it looks like he will be a starter, and what young talent do they have behind him that we have to look forward to seeing in years to come? There is none because they have not drafted anyone earlier then the 5th round. They have Colton McKivitz a 5th rounder and Justin Skule in the 6th that's it. Brunskill maybe good who know and he was undrafted. If these 3 guys work out and turn into good player on the inside then there golden. If there here for a couple year and gone then it's same thing different day. Not counting Mike McGlinchey a starter or trading for a starter, using a couple or maybe 1 3rd round pick on the inside O line would be nice.

The metrics above you say otherwise.
  • tyab
Originally posted by dlance:

Shanahan play calling covers up many of the O line weaknesses. They are good run blocker. They are not good pass blocker on the inside. If the defense know its a pass like 3rd and 10, the O line has a hard time slowing the defense down. Garland has been in the league since 2010 and has 10 starts he a back up. He's ok as a back up. Now it looks like he will be a starter, and what young talent do they have behind him that we have to look forward to seeing in years to come? There is none because they have not drafted anyone earlier then the 5th round. They have Colton McKivitz a 5th rounder and Justin Skule in the 6th that's it. Brunskill maybe good who know and he was undrafted. If these 3 guys work out and turn into good player on the inside then there golden. If there here for a couple year and gone then it's same thing different day. Not counting Mike McGlinchey a starter or trading for a starter, using a couple or maybe 1 3rd round pick on the inside O line would be nice.

Like I said if our o line was so trash then how did we make the playoffs last season with an efficient offense? And another question compare our o lines to the rest of the nfc west.

Drew Brees and Sean Payton cover for Saints weaknesses too. What good playcallers do.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Aug 17, 2020 at 7:31 PM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
In what aspect? Run blocking I agree but he's horrendous as a pass protector and has come nowhere near his first round value. The whole IOL could use a massive infusion of talent with an outside hope Brunskill can become an above average G. One top notch player to the IOL would make a massive difference. Unfortunately, we don't have that. Garland is massively overrated here by fans. He's a well below average player who the longer he starts, the worst he gets. The Superbowl he got abused and put on his ass by little linebackers in the run game and destroyed in pass protection, contributing to a unit that just can't pass protect when the defense knows they need to pass. Kyle was forced to keep Kittle and Juice in the final 7 minutes just to help 7v5 and they still couldn't hold. Sad.

Pass protection isn't just an offensive line job. It's a job that requires understanding from the entire offensive unit. Yes, that includes the wide receivers in most cases.
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/11/8/20954689/nfl-offensive-line-pass-protection-breakdown-mitchell-trubisky-bears

100%. I've been reiterating THAT as the team's biggest weakness over individual positions. It just helps when you have more talented and smarter players to execute it.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 17, 2020 at 7:36 PM ]

Like I said if our o line was so trash then how did we make the playoffs last season with an efficient offense? And another question compare our o lines to the rest of the nfc west.

Because they got to play to their strength. The run blocked all the way through the playoffs.

...then they had to pass protect. Game. Over.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Drew Brees and Sean Payton cover for Saints weaknesses too. What good playcallers do.

True. Hopefully in 15 years, Kyle and Jimmy will be able to do the same but on that same level. Payton also continues to stack the OL until it meets his standards (no matter where he finds the talent) so he CAN have a QB stay in the league 15 years too.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 17, 2020 at 7:45 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Unfortunately plays that were there to be made in the 4th were not made.....pressure or no pressure. Sucks, but I fully expect those plays to be executed going forward. Honestly all it really took was converting on one of those missed plays and they probably win that game. That's how close it was and how huge those plays were
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Unfortunately plays that were there to be made in the 4th were not made.....pressure or no pressure. Sucks, but I fully expect those plays to be executed going forward. Honestly all it really took was converting on one of those missed plays and they probably win that game. That's how close it was and how huge those plays were

No lies detected here.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Yeah, he was camp fodder - no big loss, IMO.

What I'd do is get our scouting department to get some more bodies and go thorough them as fast as possible to find that diamond in the rough. Just throw them at our DLine and see who survives.
Share 49ersWebzone