LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
LOL. Yup.

• tyab
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL. Yup.

Garland Tomlinson are solid. Plus we have an all pro tackle and young stud tackle and juice in the backfield.if anything our offense should take abig step forward this season
Originally posted by JimmyWhy:
You'd think that after the Super Bowl they would have put some effort into fixing the IOL instead of relying on Richburg to come back.

Bingo.

Originally posted by tyab:
Garland Tomlinson are solid. Plus we have an all pro tackle and young stud tackle and juice in the backfield.if anything our offense should take abig step forward this season

I might have a very different definition of "solid."
  • tyab

Their are playoff teams with worst offensive lines then us. Tomlinson was a first round pick for a reason and he is flourishing in our system. Garland posted a better pff grade then richburg.
I wish we could trade for Alex Mack from ATL. Not sure how much he has left in his tank. He was an all-pro and pro bowler a few years back. If he would renegotiate his deal, that would be great if we could trade for him. He is a great short term fit.
Couple former niners out there the team could look at for center depth. Daniel Kilgore and Erik Magnuson. Both guys having played under Kyle should be able to come in and catch up rather quickly.
Kilgore might be an option. Magnuson is not very good at all. Smart player and versatile, but He got pushed around and speed rushers were running around him. Hard pass on him.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
You'd think that after the Super Bowl they would have put some effort into fixing the IOL instead of relying on Richburg to come back.

Really nothing to fix. Richburg and garland is situated at center whom are solidS Tomlinson is solid. Brunskill and Compton will compete. You can't have 5 all pros on the offensive line. Plus we have juice kittle and a great system

I agree. Spencer long wasn't a storied free agent signing. They probably can get a free agent equivalent out there somewhere. I don't know much about Long, but I kind of saw him as a camp body.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

Really nothing to fix. Richburg and garland is situated at center whom are solidS Tomlinson is solid. Brunskill and Compton will compete. You can't have 5 all pros on the offensive line. Plus we have juice kittle and a great system

I agree. Spencer long wasn't a storied free agent signing. They probably can get a free agent equivalent out there somewhere. I don't know much about Long, but I kind of saw him as a camp body.

Yeah, he was camp fodder - no big loss, IMO.

Their are playoff teams with worst offensive lines then us. Tomlinson was a first round pick for a reason and he is flourishing in our system. Garland posted a better pff grade then richburg.

In what aspect? Run blocking I agree but he's horrendous as a pass protector and has come nowhere near his first round value. The whole IOL could use a massive infusion of talent with an outside hope Brunskill can become an above average G. One top notch player to the IOL would make a massive difference. Unfortunately, we don't have that. Garland is massively overrated here by fans. He's a well below average player who the longer he starts, the worst he gets. The Superbowl he got abused and put on his ass by little linebackers in the run game and destroyed in pass protection, contributing to a unit that just can't pass protect when the defense knows they need to pass. Kyle was forced to keep Kittle and Juice in the final 7 minutes just to help 7v5 and they still couldn't hold. Sad.

• tyab

In what aspect? Run blocking I agree but he's horrendous as a pass protector and has come nowhere near his first round value. The whole IOL could use a massive infusion of talent with an outside hope Brunskill can become an above average G. One top notch player to the IOL would make a massive difference. Unfortunately, we don't have that. Garland is massively overrated here by fans. He's a well below average player who the longer he starts, the worst he gets. The Superbowl he got abused and put on his ass by little linebackers in the run game and destroyed in pass protection, contributing to a unit that just can't pass protect when the defense knows they need to pass. Kyle was forced to keep Kittle and Juice in the final 7 minutes just to help 7v5 and they still couldn't hold. Sad.

Jesus Christ you making it seem like we have the worst offensive line in history. It's not that bad dude. Garland held up so well. Tomlinson was a first round pick that is flourishing in our system. We made it to the super bowl and pending a few bs calls we should've won with our "horrible" o line
Jesus Christ you making it seem like we have the worst offensive line in history. It's not that bad dude. Garland held up so well. Tomlinson was a first round pick that is flourishing in our system. We made it to the super bowl and pending a few bs calls we should've won with our "horrible" o line

LOL. Annual fan take on

Standard: "It's not that bad."
Goal: "We're going to win the Superbowl."
  • tyab

LOL. Annual fan take on

Standard: "It's not that bad."
Goal: "We're going to win the Superbowl."

Because it isn't that bad. You're telling me right now Tomlinson and garland are scrubs? Cmon now
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Pass protection isn't just an offensive line job. It's a job that requires understanding from the entire offensive unit. Yes, that includes the wide receivers in most cases.
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/11/8/20954689/nfl-offensive-line-pass-protection-breakdown-mitchell-trubisky-bears
Share 49ersWebzone