LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 248 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Agreed overall. That's a pretty standard hit rate...not sure in comparison to other positions during that time. Missing hurts in the first 3 rounds no matter what like with Joshua Garnett. I would have extended IOL to T's because of the athleticism so that adds more to the pool and probability but OL are just tough as so much depends on the scheme they go to, fit, players next to them, time needed to develop, etc.

And who knows how much Kyle really looks at the position. He seemed to spend far more time evaluating a Punter. LOL

Chris Foster is now assistant OL coach, I'm thinking he's helped in scouting these past two years. That's why the line may have gotten better. I think as long as you have Benton and Kyle as coaches, that line will always be a strong part of the team.

With regards to the interior pass protections, it makes it easier to evaluate talent when you have the DLine that we have. In practice and in free agent workouts, you can probably see immediately who can pass protect and who can't. Thereby you can go though a whole bunch of undrafted OLinemen and free agents trying them out, without signing them, until you hit a diamond in the rough, and stash him on the practice squad and develop him.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Howlett49:
Originally posted by Howlett49:
Trent Williams not only plays like a madman he drives like one too!

Take it easy big fella. We need you

yeah, I cringed when I saw that. Its definitely something Praag will look at when contract time comes up.
Originally posted by Giedi:
The nice thing about Kyle's offense is that it really isn't a straight drop back kind of offense. It's more of a side to side zone run offense complimented by a bootleg play fake kind of pass offense (in general). With regards to Chris JOnes, I think Kyle got away from the zone run a bit in the 4rth qtr of the super bowl game. If you review the Vikings and Green Bay game, we didn't have any real issues of folks running up the middle and clocking our QB in those two games. Point I'm trying to make is Kyle's offense is more agile kind of offense versus a power/gap based offense. When Jimmy is dropping back to pass, a lot of times it's based off a play fake and I think agility vs strength is what is needed in terms of pass protection for those kinds of plays. I think the OLinemen Kyle has brought in are better matched up with regards to pass offense than the first two seasons under Kyle. As an example, how strong do you have to be to block for a screen pass? Not really, you do have to be athletic *enough* to prevent the DLinemen from getting back on track after they've been wrong footed. Same, I think with Kyle's passing game, Kyle doesn't need the OLinemen to block for 4 seconds, only about 2.5-ish seconds for most of his pass plays.

Again, if you go back to the Chris Jones' knockdown of Jimmy's pass in the fourth QTR, that was a blitz. *A run* or possibly a screen would have been a better play call in that situation. It might have been better for Jimmy to just pull the ball down and run sideways to eat up some time and gain a yard or two instead of losing that 3rd down without eating up any time. Just some thoughts regarding our pass protection issues.

Your correct with Kyle's offense is screen passes/ quick slant and stuff like that. However any time during the year if is was 3rd and 15 the defense knew it was going to be a pass and chances are the interior o line could not stop much of the rush. They where not that good. That's what happen in the 4th qt. It's not all the O line fault. The defense gave up a bunch of point really fast they got behind and the offense had to pass the ball. Last year in that situation the O line could not hold on long enough to get to a second or third read. They need 4 sec and got 2 sec. Maybe if Brunskill starts he can help fix this? Maybe McKivitz plays and is up to the job. I hope they can fix the pass pro!!!! There's going to be in 3rd and 15ish at some point and if they can't slow down the rush they'er right back where they where last year. Which still got them to the supper bowl.
Originally posted by dlance:
Your correct with Kyle's offense is screen passes/ quick slant and stuff like that. However any time during the year if is was 3rd and 15 the defense knew it was going to be a pass and chances are the interior o line could not stop much of the rush. They where not that good. That's what happen in the 4th qt. It's not all the O line fault. The defense gave up a bunch of point really fast they got behind and the offense had to pass the ball. Last year in that situation the O line could not hold on long enough to get to a second or third read. They need 4 sec and got 2 sec. Maybe if Brunskill starts he can help fix this? Maybe McKivitz plays and is up to the job. I hope they can fix the pass pro!!!! There's going to be in 3rd and 15ish at some point and if they can't slow down the rush they'er right back where they where last year. Which still got them to the supper bowl.

Peach.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
The nice thing about Kyle's offense is that it really isn't a straight drop back kind of offense. It's more of a side to side zone run offense complimented by a bootleg play fake kind of pass offense (in general). With regards to Chris JOnes, I think Kyle got away from the zone run a bit in the 4rth qtr of the super bowl game. If you review the Vikings and Green Bay game, we didn't have any real issues of folks running up the middle and clocking our QB in those two games. Point I'm trying to make is Kyle's offense is more agile kind of offense versus a power/gap based offense. When Jimmy is dropping back to pass, a lot of times it's based off a play fake and I think agility vs strength is what is needed in terms of pass protection for those kinds of plays. I think the OLinemen Kyle has brought in are better matched up with regards to pass offense than the first two seasons under Kyle. As an example, how strong do you have to be to block for a screen pass? Not really, you do have to be athletic *enough* to prevent the DLinemen from getting back on track after they've been wrong footed. Same, I think with Kyle's passing game, Kyle doesn't need the OLinemen to block for 4 seconds, only about 2.5-ish seconds for most of his pass plays.

Again, if you go back to the Chris Jones' knockdown of Jimmy's pass in the fourth QTR, that was a blitz. *A run* or possibly a screen would have been a better play call in that situation. It might have been better for Jimmy to just pull the ball down and run sideways to eat up some time and gain a yard or two instead of losing that 3rd down without eating up any time. Just some thoughts regarding our pass protection issues.

Correct, the defense allowed a bunch of points in the 4th QRT. With respect to 3rd and 15, no matter *what play* is called, the defense is going to pass rush. That's a no brainer. In that case, take a deep shot, gamble on a screen, or stay safe and call a run. The odds of converting 3rd and 15 is low, so why not design an offense that very rarely *gets* into those situations.

Point I'm making is because we have such a great defense, that 3rd down pass knockdown should not have lost us the game if the defense would have held up.

Basically with the kind of defense we have, you don't want to design an offense for 3rd and 15, you want to design an offense that can be a great ball control offense and ideally is also explosive. Drafting for 3rd and 15, and designing an offense for 3rd and 15, and game planning for 3rd and 15 is stupid, in my opinion, with the kind of defense we have.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Peach.

I prefer Apples.
Correct, the defense allowed a bunch of points in the 4th QRT. With respect to 3rd and 15, no matter *what play* is called, the defense is going to pass rush. That's a no brainer. In that case, take a deep shot, gamble on a screen, or stay safe and call a run. The odds of converting 3rd and 15 is low, so why not design an offense that very rarely *gets* into those situations.

Point I'm making is because we have such a great defense, that 3rd down pass knockdown should not have lost us the game if the defense would have held up.

Basically with the kind of defense we have, you don't want to design an offense for 3rd and 15, you want to design an offense that can be a great ball control offense and ideally is also explosive. Drafting for 3rd and 15, and designing an offense for 3rd and 15, and game planning for 3rd and 15 is stupid, in my opinion, with the kind of defense we have.

I'm not saying design an offense for 3rd and 15. But KC o line stopped the one of the best D line in the game on 3rd and 15 and they made a play. New England find a way to get 3rd and 10 when they need it. It was Tom Brady I know. Seattle o line struggle with 3rd and long there not that good ether but Russel Wilson moves better the Jimmy G and he find a way. The way your describing it, if there 3rd and 10 or 15 and chances are low just chuck it deep which last year he didn't have time to throw it deep, or give up with a run or screen. Hell why not punt on 3rd down they don't need to try to get 3rd and 15 the 10 time during the year that their in that situation.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I'm not saying design an offense for 3rd and 15. But KC o line stopped the one of the best D line in the game on 3rd and 15 and they made a play. New England find a way to get 3rd and 10 when they need it. It was Tom Brady I know. Seattle o line struggle with 3rd and long there not that good ether but Russel Wilson moves better the Jimmy G and he find a way. The way your describing it, if there 3rd and 10 or 15 and chances are low just chuck it deep which last year he didn't have time to throw it deep, or give up with a run or screen. Hell why not punt on 3rd down they don't need to try to get 3rd and 15 the 10 time during the year that their in that situation.

How many Super Bowls appearances does Andy Reid have? The point im trying to make is that the Kyle Shanahan system has gotten to the super bowl twice (Atlanta and last year) Fat Andy's system has resulted in twice in twenty years.
How many Super Bowls appearances does Andy Reid have? The point im trying to make is that the Kyle Shanahan system has gotten to the super bowl twice (Atlanta and last year) Fat Andy's system has resulted in twice in twenty years.

I have no idea what Andy Read has to do with why the o line can't or doesn't block very well on 3rd and long? But, his team did block ok on third and long. Well coaches that have made the Super Bowl and not changed a thing one that comes to mind is Marv Levy 4 strait didn't change a thing, did the same thing every year and lost them all. I'm not saying that is what is going to happen to the 49er. I sure hope that's not what happens. Its not easy to get the the Super Bowl.
[ Edited by dlance on Aug 15, 2020 at 3:18 PM ]
This unit is screwed. They need to trade for a center asap.

You'd think that after the Super Bowl they would have put some effort into fixing the IOL instead of relying on Richburg to come back.
Originally posted by JimmyWhy:
You'd think that after the Super Bowl they would have put some effort into fixing the IOL instead of relying on Richburg to come back.

No comment.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Joshua Garnett is available ''

I keed I keed
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Joshua Garnett is available ''

I keed I keed

What happened to him?
  • tyab
Originally posted by JimmyWhy:

Really nothing to fix. Richburg and garland is situated at center whom are solidS Tomlinson is solid. Brunskill and Compton will compete. You can't have 5 all pros on the offensive line. Plus we have juice kittle and a great system
Share 49ersWebzone