Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by evil:
How does our OL compare to the rest of the NFC West?

How does Jimmy stack up in throwing deep VS the rest of our division?

Serious question here.

Our OL is better than Seahawks and Cardinals probably. But it doesn't matter to them. They got quick and fast mobile QBs that can evade rushers and run for 5 yards.

And yet both of those QB's were sacked more than JG. Meanwhile Goff was the least sacked of the 4 NFC West QB's.

It is a common but weird dynamic with "athletic QB's." They do get sacked a ton. I'm guessing in part, because they're more prone to run quicker with a combination of OL not knowing how to block for them when they do run (don't have eyes in the back of their heads). Defense does have the advantage of at least being able to see the QB.

Maybe pocket QB's throw the ball away more than running QB's?

In the case of Wilson and Murray, they actually save the OL from quite a few sacks. AZ and SEA OL PP is absolute dog s**t

Not really. In comparison to Drew Brees, they (and everyone else) hold the ball too long and don't throw it away enough.

Yes really. It's not really debatable
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Well I mean he did have a pro bowl LT, top 10 RT, 1st round RG and 2nd round C to work with, so there was/is talent there to work with. That said he's still an an excellent coach

I'm more impressed with what he did when those you referenced were all dropping like flies.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

interesting...FYI Benton is on this list.

Benton's been superb as an Oline coach. Glad to have him. Interesting how if you have a Genius offensive coach, you have a damn fine OLine coach - right there coaching with him. I hope we keep Benton, the way we kept McKittrick.
Opionated grades on blocking assignments and performance are far, far away from any type of evidence of anything.

Not only do we want to slap concrete #s onto every Olineman (to grade their performance) that just isint possible, but now we want to grade their Oline coaches with the same metric?

Next thing we'll have is extending these grades to the head coaches...where a simple rating tells Owners and GMs exactly who to hire and not hire.

#GettingOutOfHand
[ Edited by random49er on May 30, 2020 at 9:49 AM ]
The talent shows up when you have your starting Center gone, your RG gone, same for LG, RT, LT....shoot, that's the whole OL. So how a coach manages that is where we find out what he really is made of. And in Benton's case, he came out looking pretty darn good. I mean Brunskill ended up playing every position on the OL at one time or another last yr, but i don't recall him playing Center.(unless i missed it). So given lemons, if Benton can make lemonade out of that....well then, he is a coaching stud.

True enough he had starters that were 1st or 2nd rd picks, but it is the other times, and last 6 yrs there have been one helluva lot of those other times....that is where we really needed Benton. And in an O that really depends a lot on the Center...and to have him gone.....how on earth did we ever make it to the SB? Benton MUST have done one heckuva job.
I think the o line coach has been great look at what they have done with the draft and fee agent on the line. I think he gets the most out of the O line.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dlance:
I think the o line coach has been great look at what they have done with the draft and fee agent on the line. I think he gets the most out of the O line.

A big part of any offense is that OLine, and a lot of the passing game depends on that OLine. By luck or by skill, Kyle got a good OLine coach. I think he's approaching the McKittrick/Scaraneccha level of coaching ability. All he needs is a super bowl ring or two and I definitely think he's *as good* as those two I mentioned.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
The talent shows up when you have your starting Center gone, your RG gone, same for LG, RT, LT....shoot, that's the whole OL. So how a coach manages that is where we find out what he really is made of. And in Benton's case, he came out looking pretty darn good. I mean Brunskill ended up playing every position on the OL at one time or another last yr, but i don't recall him playing Center.(unless i missed it). So given lemons, if Benton can make lemonade out of that....well then, he is a coaching stud.

True enough he had starters that were 1st or 2nd rd picks, but it is the other times, and last 6 yrs there have been one helluva lot of those other times....that is where we really needed Benton. And in an O that really depends a lot on the Center...and to have him gone.....how on earth did we ever make it to the SB? Benton MUST have done one heckuva job.

I'm hoping that if there is a good crop of OLinemen this next draft, sorta like the WR crop of 2020, I hope Kyle can get a good Center in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Having said that, I don't think Kyle will draft an OLineman unless he's a left tackle (McGlinchy, in my mind, is a left tackle. He can be moved there if something happens to Trent for example). I'm hoping the 2021 draft goes like this - 1st pick Edge Rusher, 2nd pick - they trade down and get two 3rd rounders and pick a DB and a Center. We shall see.
If we do lose T Williams in FA, due to us tagging Kittle, and not paying top dollar for Williams, then I hope either Brunskill moves to LT, or McGlinchey does, and Brunskill slides over to RT. I agree that we need to draft a Center that can play Guard until we move on from Richburg. If Richburg sucks this year, then getting one in the draft ready to play immediately becomes that much more important. How ever, if Richburg can stay healthy, drafting that Center/Guard still has value because of the versatility, and the fact that RG might be open if Brunskill moves back to Tackle.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
If we do lose T Williams in FA, due to us tagging Kittle, and not paying top dollar for Williams, then I hope either Brunskill moves to LT, or McGlinchey does, and Brunskill slides over to RT. I agree that we need to draft a Center that can play Guard until we move on from Richburg. If Richburg sucks this year, then getting one in the draft ready to play immediately becomes that much more important. How ever, if Richburg can stay healthy, drafting that Center/Guard still has value because of the versatility, and the fact that RG might be open if Brunskill moves back to Tackle.

AGree. The only time I would agree with *not* drafting an OLineman in next years draft is if McKivitz, Garland, and Brunskill make good progress in developing and getting some regular season reps. I hope Brunskill can win the starting Guard spot and McKivits and Garland become very solid backups - that will help us conserve draft picks for DB and other weaker positions.

Agreed, McKivitz developing as a Guard/RT could pay huge dividends for us going forward. Garland played well last season, and if he can keep coming back on 1 year deals at around 2 million, I am game with because his production warrants it.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

He sure did.
HA

I mean the Rams
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 8, 2020 at 12:27 PM ]
HA

I mean the Rams

Did he mean Ravens lol
HA

I mean the Rams

The guys been "out" of football for so long his takes are terrible.

Now, if he's basing this solely on run blocking, I'd be behind this!
Share 49erswebzone