There are 219 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hell yeah, we needed to fix the oline and after todays picks and getting TW we will be better this coming year. JL came through.!!!
[ Edited by ChicoCorrales on Apr 25, 2020 at 7:12 PM ]
Is there any chance that Staley doesn't retire, and can slide into LG for us? Let Staley take his time to fully decide, we have the cap space to hang onto him right now, so if he does heal up a little and change his mind, then we could look to trade Tomlinson away to clear some money.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
Is there any chance that Staley doesn't retire, and can slide into LG for us? Let Staley take his time to fully decide, we have the cap space to hang onto him right now, so if he does heal up a little and change his mind, then we could look to trade Tomlinson away to clear some money.

Dude, he already announced his retirement. Had an official letter thanking everyone. He's got a neck issue. Also he was never gonna play anything but LT and stated it previously...
Originally posted by libertyforever:
There are no IOL with pay over $16M in terms of 2020 cap dollar, while there are 3 DT exceeding $23M pay in 2020 cap dollar. I wonder why that is the case?

Yup. It's about scarcity. Random late round guards and centers get paid all the time. Very rarely do you find big money late round d lineman.

KC is rolling with a 5th 6th and 7th as their interior.
I'll say this again taking a RG at 14 is stupid, and makes no sense, no way, unless he's Quenton Nelson, which Wirfs and Ruiz aren't Nelson, and Kinlaw is a DeFo type talent IMO, so IMO a 3T was more important than a G when Shanny gets contributions from late rounders or UDFA OL as much as 1st rd OL.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Williams..Tomlinson..Richburg..Brunskill..McGlinchey is a damn good line imo. With Coleman, Compton, Garland, Skule and McKovitz battling for the backup spots. Real nice job considering a potential HoF LT just retired this week.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I'll say this again taking a RG at 14 is stupid, and makes no sense, no way, unless he's Quenton Nelson, which Wirfs and Ruiz aren't Nelson, and Kinlaw is a DeFo type talent IMO, so IMO a 3T was more important than a G when Shanny gets contributions from late rounders or UDFA OL as much as 1st rd OL.

Agree about Nelson. Would like to see a C/OG early next year.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Williams..Tomlinson..Richburg..Brunskill..McGlinchey is a damn good line imo. With Coleman, Compton, Garland, Skule and McKovitz battling for the backup spots. Real nice job considering a potential HoF LT just retired this week.

I'd like to see Coleman, Skule, Garland, McKivitz as backups. Compton offers versatility, but it seems like they really wanted McKivitz and think he can play inside as well.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Death, taxes and NC complaining about IOL

Now those are facts!

I think the OLine is in good shape. They have depth and they have talent. Having said that, I wish they had that extra 4rth round pick from the first round trade down to get another interior OLIneman, like maybe another good center. Hopefully another good Interior OLineman can emerge in undrafted free agency that can make the practice squad.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Death, taxes and NC complaining about IOL

Now those are facts!

Lol

I've yet to see even a decent debate to 3T being more important than IOL right now. I'd love to see one though but nobody's even attempted a case. Maybe somebody will.

Not to get involved in your debate with others but I was just curious. Since the 2010 draft (11 years), Round 1 picks through pick 25 (275 picks):
DT- 24
OG- 8
OC-7
I didn't include DE's or OT's. Don't need a reply, just thought I'd look it up. Not overwhelming numbers but if you took out the 'center' picks it would be. All teams seem to be hesitant to draft guards early in round 1.
Originally posted by NCommand: I've yet to see even a decent debate to 3T being more important than IOL right now. I'd love to see one though but nobody's even attempted a case. Maybe somebody will.

tommyncal looked at the first round picks since the 2010 draft, AB81Rules looked at how Kyle gets contribution from late rounders or UDFA OL, I looked at the salaries paid. All of these points out why 3T being more important than IOL. I have yet to see even a decent counter argument from NCommand.
I've yet to see even a decent debate to 3T being more important than IOL right now. I'd love to see one though but nobody's even attempted a case. Maybe somebody will.

tommyncal looked at the first round picks since the 2010 draft, AB81Rules looked at how Kyle gets contribution from late rounders or UDFA OL, I looked at the salaries paid. All of these points out why 3T being more important than IOL. I have yet to see even a decent counter argument from NCommand.

The problem is it's 2020 and C/G's are getting paid nearly as much as T's now and top pass rushers move all over the place. There is no LT > RT anymore and d/t the over abundance OF IDT's, it makes the interior even more important as the easiest path to the QB. And if you run a PA like us, IOL pass protection is vital. In fact, there's such an overabundance of IDT's guys like Suh are available every year in FA and trades and for CHEAP.

If you're looking at OUR system, our scheme, what's available on the market, it's far far easier to find a high caliber IDT than IOL. You'll rarely see a top OL even hit the market. That's just the landscape today.

As the old crusty GM's move out of the league and the younger ones come in, you'll see less of the old school mantra that T > C > G.

There's just too many good IDT pass rushers and ER's like Bosa and AA who move inside to take advantage of teams like us who have far lesser talent inside.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 26, 2020 at 9:05 AM ]

The problem is it's 2020 and C/G's are getting paid nearly as much as T's now and top pass rushers move all over the place. There is no LT > RT anymore and d/t the over abundance OF IDT's, it makes the interior even more important as the easiest path to the QB. And if you run a PA like us, IOL pass protection is vital. In fact, there's such an overabundance of IDT's guys like Suh are available every year in FA and trades and for CHEAP.

If you're looking at OUR system, our scheme, what's available on the market, it's far far easier to find a high caliber IDT than IOL. You'll rarely see a top OL even hit the market. That's just the landscape today.

As the old crusty GM's move out of the league and the younger ones come in, you'll see less of the old school mantra that T > C > G.

There's just too many good IDT pass rushers and ER's like Bosa and AA who move inside to take advantage of teams like us who have far lesser talent inside.

Possibly. If I'm not mistaken, Shanahan doesn't seem to place a high value on interior lineman in draft capital terms. Based on his track record, he seems to place high value on T, DL and a lower value on CB, IOL. Maybe that is just the circumstances. I don't think IOL was considered a plus in this draft to begin with so I don't hold it against them this time.

Given the contract situation for the 9ers at IOL, the retirement of Staley, and the 49ers cap situation, it's such a bad situation to be in. I do think IOL is a need for the team going forward, 100%, and I hope they unearth a gem this year.

Don't forget when they took over the team was desperate for WRs as they all sucked. To that end, he's put a critical focus in WRs and he's had to sacrifice IOL to do it.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Apr 26, 2020 at 9:21 AM ]
Originally posted by tommyncal:
Not to get involved in your debate with others but I was just curious. Since the 2010 draft (11 years), Round 1 picks through pick 25 (275 picks):
DT- 24
OG- 8
OC-7
I didn't include DE's or OT's. Don't need a reply, just thought I'd look it up. Not overwhelming numbers but if you took out the 'center' picks it would be. All teams seem to be hesitant to draft guards early in round 1.

Appreciate the lookup! No question...in college, if you're a big athletic dude, the odds of you wanting to play DL are far higher than OL. That will never change...but because of that, it's making IOL even more scarce a resource at the NFL and many average C/G's are making T money now because of this massive need. This is why I chuckle when fans try to diminish the importance of IOL. When guys like Bill Bellicheat are franchise tagging his G, that's pretty much all you need to know. It's best to get ahead of the league rather than playing catchup when it's too late.
Share 49ersWebzone