LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 206 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
NY, this is what I've been talking about with regards to Tomlinson as a pass protector. Run blocking is great but man, he's terrible and literally, blind at times.

Unfortunately, the FO won't be looking to give him any real competition this year as it's the lesser of two (C health and RG) other IOL issues. But it's still a very real issue nonetheless.

But collectively, IOL pass protection is a wreck. I know you addressed it in your mock but wanted to circle back on Tomlinson, specifically, per a previous exchange.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/2318-film-field-house-49ers-case-upgrading-interior-offensive/

Cheers.

He also said this about Tomlinson...

Tomlinson's upside is his ability to stay healthy and working in a system that caters to his skillset. He isn't the NFL's best guard, but he is incredibly consistent and reliable. Tomlinson allows 3.6 sacks per season, 30.2 pressures and 22.2 hurries per season, and averages an overall 65.5 grade per season.

Look I'm not saying he's Quinton Nelson or anything. I'm saying he's a decent guard. They can't shell out top cash at every position. Center is stupid important to this offense and in general with regards to setting up things with blocking. When richburg went down the interior overall went down.

Person on the other hand needs to be a backup and they should upgrade there

FWIW see the Jags are trying to move Norwell and his big fat bloated contract dudes been a bust relative to his massive contract.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 5, 2020 at 10:21 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
NY, this is what I've been talking about with regards to Tomlinson as a pass protector. Run blocking is great but man, he's terrible and literally, blind at times.

Unfortunately, the FO won't be looking to give him any real competition this year as it's the lesser of two (C health and RG) other IOL issues. But it's still a very real issue nonetheless.

But collectively, IOL pass protection is a wreck. I know you addressed it in your mock but wanted to circle back on Tomlinson, specifically, per a previous exchange.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/2318-film-field-house-49ers-case-upgrading-interior-offensive/

Cheers.

He also said this about Tomlinson...

Tomlinson's upside is his ability to stay healthy and working in a system that caters to his skillset. He isn't the NFL's best guard, but he is incredibly consistent and reliable. Tomlinson allows 3.6 sacks per season, 30.2 pressures and 22.2 hurries per season, and averages an overall 65.5 grade per season.

Look I'm not saying he's Quinton Nelson or anything. I'm saying he's a decent guard. They can't shell out top cash at every position. Center is stupid important to this offense and in general with regards to setting up things with blocking. When richburg went down the interior overall went down.

Person on the other hand needs to be a backup and they should upgrade there

FWIW see the Jags are trying to move Norwell and his big fat bloated contract dudes been a bust relative to his massive contract.

No issues with him as a starter but that still doesn't dismiss his poor PP and that's sandwiched in between Staley and Richburg mostly. Not good.

Hahaha. Everyone has gone from an all pro to getting the hell outta there (literally) so it's hard to say if his skill set dropped off or there are other issues. I don't know where Norwell is today in his skill set though. But I'm all for adding talent and letting the chips fall where they may. He'd be a better fit to compete for Tomlinson's role in this offense though over RG.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 5, 2020 at 10:34 AM ]
The O line played great as a unit they can't help it if the quarterback is stationary and unable to escape a pocket collapsing
Originally posted by BriRichardson:
The O line played great as a unit they can't help it if the quarterback is stationary and unable to escape a pocket collapsing

Only a handful of QB's can regularly escape regular pressure right up the gut.

Actually not true and it's basic pocket fundamentals he lacks as a quarterback. His awareness is nonexistent

Actually not true and it's basic pocket fundamentals he lacks as a quarterback. His awareness is nonexistent

there was no pocket at all on too many plays thats the point. there is no pocket when the other teams DTs push our guard right into the QB right after the snap. spin it however you want interior pass pro was the teams biggest weakness and one of the major reasons we dont have a 6th trophy. if they dont attempt to upgrade at least one of the Guard or center spots then we have alot to worry about.
Originally posted by stefano89:

there was no pocket at all on too many plays thats the point. there is no pocket when the other teams DTs push our guard right into the QB right after the snap. spin it however you want interior pass pro was the teams biggest weakness and one of the major reasons we dont have a 6th trophy. if they dont attempt to upgrade at least one of the Guard or center spots then we have alot to worry about.

Bingo.

Pocket presence is a skill that can be improved upon to an extent with practice and in-game live action over time.

Can you imagine how many sacks and hits he would have taken if he didn't essentially have the fastest delivery in the game and that flick-n-spin ability?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:
Walter Football draft has us taking a Center because they think it's unlikely Richburg returns. Anyone know the likelihood of his return?

San Francisco 49ers: Tyler Biadasz, C, Wisconsin
Weston Richburg tore his patellar tendon, and there's usually no coming back from that. The 49ers need to make sure they have a viable starting center.

If they take Biadasz in the first rd then someone should be fired. Kid is dealing with injuries and his play has been underwhelming. He's more like a day 3 guy at this pt.

Walter football is poop.

I prefer Temple Matt Hennessy or LSU Lloyd Cushenberry over Tyler Biadasz and both could be there on 3rd/4th round assuming Lynch trade down and get picks on those rounds. Also I like Keith Ismael from SDSU on 5th/6th round.
Originally posted by stefano89:

Bingo.

Pocket presence is a skill that can be improved upon to an extent with practice and in-game live action over time.

Can you imagine how many sacks and hits he would have taken if he didn't essentially have the fastest delivery in the game and that flick-n-spin ability?

his quick release and shannys short routes is whats saved him many times. time to get some protection so we can stretch the field.
  • dj43
Resigning Brunskill is a good indication that Person's starting job is a thing of the past. Wherever they put him, DB was money.

Originally posted by dj43:
Resigning Brunskill is a good indication that Person's starting job is a thing of the past. Wherever they put him, DB was money.

Couldn't agree more

Absolute Truth!
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Couldn't agree more

I still expect an IOL pick after a trade back from #31, but Brunskill means we are one step closer to shutting down the pass rush turnstile in the middle of the line.
Keith Ishmael is a personal favorite and family
Friend. He is a great young man and works hard. He is very athletic. His dad played college football and understand OL play. He would be great in the 5th rd. I actually think he can picked as high as the 3rd rd.

Lol what
Share 49ersWebzone