LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
Come on, Kyle. Let's bolster that interior OL. This is the one gripe I have with Kyle. He's just like his dad in that regard.

I haven't evaluated any of the interior OL prospects in the upcoming draft, but using our first-round pick on a Travis Frederick/Alex Mack-type center would be a good idea.

I'll say this tho: The OL played good enough to win yesterday. Anyone arguing otherwise is dumb, blind or both. The tape doesn't lie. Opportunities were left on the field.

Originally posted by NCommand:

I saw an over matched oline
Come on, Kyle. Let's bolster that interior OL. This is the one gripe I have with Kyle. He's just like his dad in that regard.

I haven't evaluated any of the interior OL prospects in the upcoming draft, but using our first-round pick on a Travis Frederick/Alex Mack-type center would be a good idea.

I'll say this tho: The OL played good enough to win yesterday. Anyone arguing otherwise is dumb, blind or both. The tape doesn't lie. Opportunities were left on the field.

I haven't looked yet either. The thing that stuck out to me in last years draft was that there were a number of very good traditional O-lineman, but it was very thin on the athletic linemen who Kyle likes and who fit his system. Hopefully this year will be different.
Originally posted by jcs:
I saw an over matched oline

They played good enough to win. Watch Baldy's breakdown. The plays were there to be made to win the game.

Again, I'm not saying they played well. I'm only saying that they played good enough to win. And that's a fact. This doesn't mean the OL doesn't need to be upgraded. Those are two different things.
Originally posted by Niners_D:
I haven't looked yet either. The thing that stuck out to me in last years draft was that there were a number of very good traditional O-lineman, but it was very thin on the athletic linemen who Kyle likes and who fit his system. Hopefully this year will be different.

There is a real nice 2nd round group of center/guard types that fit what Kyle likes. Lloyd Cushenberry, Nick Harris and Cesar Ruiz.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
There is a real nice 2nd round group of center/guard types that fit what Kyle likes. Lloyd Cushenberry, Nick Harris and Cesar Ruiz.

The thing with Kyle is he's such a stickler for the nuances that he wants in his OL. And it's not just athleticism. There have been a ton of athletic OL coming out in the last few years, and we haven't drafted any of them.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

The thing with Kyle is he's such a stickler for the nuances that he wants in his OL. And it's not just athleticism. There have been a ton of athletic OL coming out in the last few years, and we haven't drafted any of them.

Thats good to hear, hopefully we can get a quality player in the 1st or trade back and maybe get a 2nd and 3rd.

I hear you on the stickler part. Many are former TE's, tall, athletic and he seems to favor guys who can move quickly.
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
Interior OL is an issue

Hopefully Joe gives us one more year
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Said this in another thread....

You can't have a stationary QB in the passing game *and* inferior internal OL pass-blocking talent. Something's gotta give in games where the DL is good/better.

Facts. Clowney, Jones, Donald, Grady...destroyed our execution.

You can't have a stationary QB in the passing game *and* inferior internal OL pass-blocking talent. Something's gotta give in games where the DL is good/better.

So who's hiding whom? Is Shanny hiding Jimmy with the run game or his pass blocking unit? I'd say by far it's the latter.

It's a pretty simple formula. When QB's have time and confidence in the pocket, they'll eventually make a play, no matter how good the defensive backfield is.

Our pass blocking blows. Jimmy is skittish back there. Seems like every 3 out of 5 drop backs against good dlines ends up with a collapsed pocket, panicked, eyes closed, side armed pass. If Shanny is going to insist on drop back, statue qb play something will have to change. Teams shouldn't be able to switch gears to load the box and just shut our ass down five drives in a row.

So who's hiding whom? Is Shanny hiding Jimmy with the run game or his pass blocking unit? I'd say by far it's the latter.

It's a pretty simple formula. When QB's have time and confidence in the pocket, they'll eventually make a play, no matter how good the defensive backfield is.

Something has changed drastically from those first 5 games unless your blind. Combo of knee and Shanny having small nuts on this front as well. How in the world do you not have planned rolls and boots and sneaks in there????????????If his knee doesn't hold up then it doesn't fricking hold up.
Originally posted by socal1632:

Something has changed drastically from those first 5 games unless your blind. Combo of knee and Shanny having small nuts on this front as well. How in the world do you not have planned rolls and boots and sneaks in there????????????If his knee doesn't hold up then it doesn't fricking hold up.

At least in part, Jimmy doesn't trust that line. His first couple of games he dropped back and easily scanned the entire field, Brady like. Our pass blocking blows

At least in part, Jimmy doesn't trust that line. His first couple of games he dropped back and easily scanned the entire field, Brady like. Our pass blocking blows

Regardless of what the average metrics show, against the top lines, it's a dumpster fire on many dropbacks

Regardless of what the average metrics show, against the top lines, it's a dumpster fire on many dropbacks

I don't even know why fans would try to minimize this anymore. It just cost us the Superbowl (not the only reason but when we needed it most the final 5 minutes).

I don't even know why fans would try to minimize this anymore. It just cost us the Superbowl (not the only reason but when we needed it most the final 5 minutes).

And if we just upgrade ONE, it will pay huge dividends - you just need one person to help with blocking and not two. It should be of note that Kittle was used A LOT to help pass-blocking, not just run-blocking. If you're less concerned about the rush getting through the line, just imagine how effective Kittle really could be as blitz beater? However if Jimmy is rattled and has not time, the entire offense (sustaining drives against teams that sell out to stop the run) is affected.

Hopefully, like Hero noted, they'll take care of that this year. Kyle having to use Kittle as a pass protector when it mattered most HAS to stick in his mind going forward, right? RIGHT?
Share 49ersWebzone