LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Above avg, with missing starters throughout season

I think that's fair even for PFF OL grades. Guys really stepped up and Kyle schemed like a mad scientist and Garoppolo had insane TTT. Plus his processing got better and better and better esp. after Sanders arrived.

But we've always known, excellent run blocking OL, poorer pass protection OL makes them middle of the road. Is it enough for a deep playoff run? Let's hope so!!!

14. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

For pass-protection purposes, the 49ers will be glad to have Joe Staley back for their postseason run. Staley allowed just seven pressures in 240 pass-blocking snaps this season for a pressure rate of 2.9% that trailed only Ronnie Stanley and Taylor Lewan at left tackle. His replacement, Justin Skule, allowed a 9.2% pressure rate (fourth worst at the position) despite Jimmy Garoppolo getting rid of the ball in less than 2.5 seconds on average with Skule in the lineup.

[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 1, 2020 at 8:29 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Above avg, with missing starters throughout season

I think that's fair even for PFF OL grades. Guys really stepped up and Kyle schemed like a mad scientist and Garoppolo had insane TTT. Plus his processing got better and better and better esp. after Sanders arrived.

But we've always known, excellent run blocking OL, poorer pass protection OL makes them middle of the road. Is it enough for a deep playoff run? Let's hope so!!!

14. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

For pass-protection purposes, the 49ers will be glad to have Joe Staley back for their postseason run. Staley allowed just seven pressures in 240 pass-blocking snaps this season for a pressure rate of 2.9% that trailed only Ronnie Stanley and Taylor Lewan at left tackle. His replacement, Justin Skule, allowed a 9.2% pressure rate (fourth worst at the position) despite Jimmy Garoppolo getting rid of the ball in less than 2.5 seconds on average with Skule in the lineup.

Really can't complain. We lost both starting tackles, starting C and starting G. Laken was the only one who lasted all year. Found a gem and future starter in Brunskill. Garland played admirably replacing Richburg. Props and kudos to this unit. Still think and hope we add a C/G in draft
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Really can't complain. We lost both starting tackles, starting C and starting G. Laken was the only one who lasted all year. Found a gem and future starter in Brunskill. Garland played admirably replacing Richburg. Props and kudos to this unit. Still think and hope we add a C/G in draft
Agree.

Between pass blocking and run blocking - since we run the ball so much more now, the run blocking is (I think) just as important if not more important than pass blocking. In other words, yeah the OLinemen may not be the best pass blockers but they help Jimmy in other ways.
[ Edited by Giedi on Jan 1, 2020 at 10:28 AM ]
Absolutely phenomenal job tonight. Wow. I couldn't give them more props.
2 deadly edge rushers and a pretty stout interior, and our O-line did a fantastic job outside of a penalty by Glinch and that one sack where he was asleep at the snap

Yes against an elite Vikings defensive line.
Whatever the f**k Garland has been eating since starting earlier in the season needs to be fed to all. Been no drop off from Richburg. Him Person and Tomlinson stepped up big time. That was a good d line they dominated
Originally posted by tyu99:

Yes against an elite Vikings defensive line.

100%. Amazing job!
  • dj43
Originally posted by lamontb:
That was a good d line they dominated

True. I was especially impressed with Garland. He not only played well, the protection calls seemed to be right on.
True about Garland. I was thinking we needed to draft an interior lineman especially a center with our first pick. Now maybe not. It makes trading down more of a possibility. With Jimmy Ward playing well FS is not a void either. There really is no glaring void on this starting 22. The OL even has depth now, even at Center, an important position in Kyle's offense.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:

They were ready. They were more prepared than I've seen them all season. Kudos to the staff. McG just needed to settle down and then he was golden.

Yeah, they played great - opened holes for the running game and gave Jimmy time in pass protection.
Big ups to the hogs yesterday. That was an elite front seven.
they have been great since the second series in seattle
I agreed they did a hell of a job! And you can add Kittle and Juice to this group as they shut down that very good Dline. Awesome job
Laken had him a game yesterday, dude was on point.... best I have seen him play. Several times I saw him bury his guy into the ground and make the dude just a grease spot on the road.
Share 49ersWebzone