• Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by illinois9er:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
So Sam Young comes in and plays Swing Tackle and replaces Skule if Skule sucks?

Good move

Really, the best most obvious move they had available without making a trade.

What about Brunskill?

It would be Brunskill. Young is more the backup to the backup s**tty OT

He played quite well in PS. Young was cut in order to keep Brunskill. That should set the priority.

We'll see.... my take is that they kept Skule and Brunskill over Young because they have more long term potential. And young players like them are often very up and down. With Young, he might not be amazing, but I think he might be a more consistent player.

This is just my take... I could be wrong. But usually you're weighing high floor, low ceiling vets against low floor, high ceiling youngsters.

100% agreed.

I'm really impressed with the performance of the OLine these last two games. I think that bodes well for Skule and Brunskill in the Steeler game. They should be well prepared for all the stuff that the Steeler Defense can bring to the table. It seems Benton's coaching has been superb.
As far as Joe Staley, is the fact that you guys haven't put him on IR indicate that you think that that's a less than eight-week injury?

"Yes, that's what we're hoping. We've got it all estimated around that six-week area. But, it's just an estimate. But, the chance that it's got to be less than two weeks, that's why we're not putting him on IR."

Kyle's take on the injury.
In the meantime, Toilolo will be used to help out a lot this game if Kyle deems necessary. Other thing to do is if they get aggressive on that side, a lot screens to that side would slow them up.
"Man, that John Lynch. Don't you just hate it how he hasn't done anything to address the offensive line. What a terrible GM." Oh, wait. from an article on ESPN: Bud Dupree likely will get the majority of the opportunities against Skule, who steps in for an offensive line that is seventh in pass-blocking win rate (64.7%) and has yielded just one sack and three quarterback hits.
Originally posted by 49ers81:
"Man, that John Lynch. Don't you just hate it how he hasn't done anything to address the offensive line. What a terrible GM." Oh, wait. from an article on ESPN: Bud Dupree likely will get the majority of the opportunities against Skule, who steps in for an offensive line that is seventh in pass-blocking win rate (64.7%) and has yielded just one sack and three quarterback hits.

Literally, not a single person has said they haven't done anything...just haven't prioritized it enough after 3 years. But that concern could be mitigated this year if they continue to play at this rate for 16 full games.

Health, interior play, consistency and depth are always the issues here which start to show negatively in the stat sheets eventually.

But right now, the OL played great collectively for two games and it's no secret, the team goes as the OL goes (whether JG plays well or not)!
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 21, 2019 at 6:38 AM ]
A big reason for the "OL" success also lies with these boys and he didn't mention how the running game took off once Toilolo was added to the 2nd half of the Bucs game on.

[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 21, 2019 at 6:47 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Literally, not a single person has said they haven't done anything...just haven't prioritized it enough after 3 years. But that concern could be mitigated this year if they continue to play at this rate for 16 full games.

Health, interior play, consistency and depth are always the issues here which start to show negatively in the stat sheets eventually.

But right now, the OL played great collectively for two games and it's no secret, the team goes as the OL goes (whether JG plays well or not)!
I think a big part of the OLine performance is again the Quarterback. Jimmy just reads defenses fast and throws it quick. Add in the run and pass schemes that take advantage of this movement offense, and it's a hard offense to slow down or stop. If you cant put the 49ers in 3rd and long - often enough, you wont have a lot of opportunities to clock the QB.

Another big part of the offense is the run game. It's been outstanding. Tough to sack the QB on 2nd and 5 or 3rd and 2. I think the run game is doing well because the Oline have gelled faster than I thought. The speed of the Arby's just forces DLines to guess sometimes, and when they do, Kyle makes them pay.

Breida and Mostert have been outstanding, tough to sack a QB when you have the opposing defense to worry about an arby ripping off 10+ yards per carry every down. DLines simply cant tee off on the QB when the 49ers do a play action pass.

Because of the above, I think Skule is going to be fine.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
A big reason for the "OL" success also lies with these boys and he didn't mention how the running game took off once Toilolo was added to the 2nd half of the Bucs game on.

A DLine has to be disciplined and maintain a solid front against Kyle's offense, if you want to stop Kyle's ground game. #97 gets cute and tries to gap penetrate and opens up a big hole for the Arby. If he would have maintained discipline and stayed manned up - that run wont get too much yardage.

Now, if a DLine maintains discipline, kyle does his counters and puts the DLine a step behind the OLine and again - big gains usually happen. Its year 3 of the OLine rebuild and I think we are seeing the fruits of it now. We shall know more after the Steelers game.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think a big part of the OLine performance is again the Quarterback.

I've never 'fully' subscribed to the idea the QB makes the OL although there certainly is a lot of truth there. Case in point...our first 2 games. In the first one, it was a game manager game script...lots of screens and short passes and that reflected in his OL stats with what, 1 sack, 1 pressure? OL struggled in the run game a lot and the defense got 2 pick 6's.

I heard on a podcast JG was lowest at air yards the first game, like 4.2 yards or something?

The next game 250 yards running and 6.4 air yards (tops I believe).

JG certainly didn't make the OL these 2 games but he didn't hurt it either.

PS: Kyle always has his QB's under 2.7 TT so that helps a ton...scheming open that first read playing chess.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 21, 2019 at 8:20 AM ]

Well I suppose that is technically correct. A single person hasn't said they haven't done anything to address the offensive line. It's been more like 10 or 20. Selective memory I guess.

Well I suppose that is technically correct. A single person hasn't said they haven't done anything to address the offensive line. It's been more like 10 or 20. Selective memory I guess.

Haha. Funny how interpretations/perceptions go; unless you're talking about this past year? But it is the WZ and the WZ imitates life.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 21, 2019 at 8:22 AM ]
I found a G for us!

I found a G for us!

Who is that guy?
I found a G for us!

lmao

poor defenders got wrecked in the same play by the same guy.
[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 21, 2019 at 12:00 PM ]
I've never 'fully' subscribed to the idea the QB makes the OL although there certainly is a lot of truth there. Case in point...our first 2 games. In the first one, it was a game manager game script...lots of screens and short passes and that reflected in his OL stats with what, 1 sack, 1 pressure? OL struggled in the run game a lot and the defense got 2 pick 6's.

I heard on a podcast JG was lowest at air yards the first game, like 4.2 yards or something?

The next game 250 yards running and 6.4 air yards (tops I believe).

JG certainly didn't make the OL these 2 games but he didn't hurt it either.

PS: Kyle always has his QB's under 2.7 TT so that helps a ton...scheming open that first read playing chess.

Historically, when Harris Barton was not available Joe and Steve were not as good as they could have been. When he was available, they were near unstoppable. The one season when this wasn't true? 1994 when the entire OL was so good and the depth and they had some of the all-time best coaches at positions.
Share 49erswebzone