LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 416 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Alfienator:
You guys think that our tackles have been playing admirably is because they been playing against our defense? Iron sharpens iron

At the very least it's helped them see more variety of moves that may be used against them.

I think it was Brunskill that said he didn't fear the Rams pass rush because he saw our guys in practice.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by raywm3:
Yeah, I've actually been quite impressed with Skule.

Me too. I watched him in pre season and he looked so awkward and top heavy. I tought he'd be a candidate for the PS for a year where he could diet and strength build and learn this complicated scheme and all the nuances that come with it. Then next year start really learning from Staley and compete with Coleman for the primary swing tackle role. He's far exceeded my expectations...and faith!

I felt (feel) like he has a dumpy looking upper body, but even in preseason he moved well with excellent footwork.
Originally posted by captveg:
You guys think that our tackles have been playing admirably is because they been playing against our defense? Iron sharpens iron

At the very least it's helped them see more variety of moves that may be used against them.

I think it was Brunskill that said he didn't fear the Rams pass rush because he saw our guys in practice.

Very impressed by both backup tackles so far. This definitely speed up there developmental process going forward for sure. Kyle has also adjusted his game plan to help these two out which is even more impressive coaching too!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yup yup. When you pass the least, have the fastest TTT and rush for 175 yards a game, your pass protection stats look terrific.

Same thing NE does and a lot of people in here to that OL. Short passes, quick releases, and run the ball a ton.

But coming in to the year, that wasn't what Kyle was game planning hence, why his QB's were taking a consistent pounding; hence why so many mocked and FA'd OL for protection. He's completely flipped 180 on his game plans.

Now, once he gets MM, JS and KJ back though, he's probably going to have the perfect balance. The QB sacks and hits will naturally go up then too but so to will the bigger production. I can't wait esp. with the addition of ES!

Maybe Kyle has grown as a HC. We are seeing different blocking schemes in the run game, though he hasn't abandoned his bread butter. This could've also contributed to the sharp decline in hits and sacks.

Now, serious question. Our tackles have a big test coming up in the next 2 weeks with the edge rushers in Carolina and Arizona. If they hold up, do we finally put to bed taking a tackle in the first *barring EXCEPTIONAL* value?

I still would like an upgrade at guard (Aaron Donald is going nowhere anytime soon), buuuuut we can realistically trade back and pick up more day 2 and 3 picks.

Good call!
I think we need interior on our line with the first pick in our draft. Guard is by far our weakest position and we could use an upgrade as a starter
Originally posted by elguapo:
I think we need interior on our line with the first pick in our draft. Guard is by far our weakest position and we could use an upgrade as a starter

Doubt you'll Shanahan invest in a guard that early. Also the strength of this upcoming draft at OL by far is tackle.

No question that has helped our entire OL, but our substitute OTs especially. Doesn't get a whole lot harder than Dee and Nick. Nor Arik or Buck. But Kyle took the lemons not 1 but 2 injured OTs gave him and made lemonade. How? By using two TEs , one just barely outside each OT, and used them to help both OTs...and it has been wildly successful to date.

Even at that tho, we still are missing Au jus and that one really hurts on both run blocking as well as pass blocking. Again kyle has used his TE/WR/RB for this but nobody can really replace Au Jus.

So kudos to kyle for immediately figuring out how to help our brand new OTs, and it has done well. Be nice to have kittle for a Target occasionally but he still is JG's #1 man for 3rd down conversions. Right about now Emmanuel is sure starting to look like a comfort blanket for JimmyG. With yards of 347 vs Kittle's 376, that is a nice addition to the receivers.

Also, Sanders coming here let's WRs know they HAVE to do better if they want to keep their jobs. Who knows, mabye the WRs start feeling the heat and worry about no job next yr. What ever, i hope it kicks them all in the backside and they pick up their games.

Lastly, maybe with both kittle and sanders, plus Brieda, maybe it takes the load off pettis ...and same for Deebo. May be we see better play from both of them with sanders addition. At least i hope so.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Doubt you'll Shanahan invest in a guard that early. Also the strength of this upcoming draft at OL by far is tackle.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Brunskill slide inside to guard next year. His footwork is excellent and he hits a moving target well. He's a bit taller than the prototypical guard but Quinton Nelson is also 6' 5". So much for prototypes.
Originally posted by dj43:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Brunskill slide inside to guard next year. His footwork is excellent and he hits a moving target well. He's a bit taller than the prototypical guard but Quinton Nelson is also 6' 5". So much for prototypes.

I thought that as well. For years, I wanted another Alex Boone type of player that could play both guard and tackle. We will have some options in the upcoming draft for sure.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yup yup. When you pass the least, have the fastest TTT and rush for 175 yards a game, your pass protection stats look terrific.

Same thing NE does and a lot of people in here to that OL. Short passes, quick releases, and run the ball a ton.

But coming in to the year, that wasn't what Kyle was game planning hence, why his QB's were taking a consistent pounding; hence why so many mocked and FA'd OL for protection. He's completely flipped 180 on his game plans.

Now, once he gets MM, JS and KJ back though, he's probably going to have the perfect balance. The QB sacks and hits will naturally go up then too but so to will the bigger production. I can't wait esp. with the addition of ES!

Maybe Kyle has grown as a HC. We are seeing different blocking schemes in the run game, though he hasn't abandoned his bread butter. This could've also contributed to the sharp decline in hits and sacks.

Now, serious question. Our tackles have a big test coming up in the next 2 weeks with the edge rushers in Carolina and Arizona. If they hold up, do we finally put to bed taking a tackle in the first *barring EXCEPTIONAL* value?

I still would like an upgrade at guard (Aaron Donald is going nowhere anytime soon), buuuuut we can realistically trade back and pick up more day 2 and 3 picks.

I can't even state enough how proud I am of Kyle. A HC that can adapt on the fly and switch philosophies 180 degrees like that is special... that's egoless football. And we already knew he could adjust on the fly. Now he's recognizing a weakness and protecting his QB in a fashion I didn't think "scheme" could.

As to your question on passing on a T? IMHO, going OL is what championship teams do post rebuild. Nothing can tear a season apart faster than bad OL play (outside of losing your QB). Look at the Rams and Browns and so many other teams right now.

Keep stacking the 'talent' there just like we did with the DL so that Kyle can play any way he wants...scheme any way he wants...not have to change because of the personnel limitations.

I would imagine these next two games are going to remind fans that we still need top "talent" at both T spots and we certainly need some real talent inside too.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 27, 2019 at 8:32 AM ]

Ditto

Didn't he play some snaps at RG today??
  • dj43
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I thought that as well. For years, I wanted another Alex Boone type of player that could play both guard and tackle. We will have some options in the upcoming draft for sure.

He did move inside late in the game and moved well. He is a keeper.
  • dj43
I will re-watch the game later, but from what I could see, Brunskill had another very good game. On Deebo's TD run, IIRC, he got the DE and then the LB. The guy just keeps impressing me. He moves well, plays with power. Doesn't make stupid mistakes.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Backup tackles are starting to hit their stride right as the starters are getting ready to come back. Really great to have this kind of depth.
Share 49ersWebzone