LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for littleken.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by littleken:
We currently tie 4th best in the league in sacks allow per game (1.3) and 6th best in the league in QB hits allow per game (3.8).

Our backup tackles have started quite a number of games as well.

Yup yup. When you pass the least, have the fastest TTT and rush for 175 yards a game, your pass protection stats look terrific. That's not meant to take away anything either though because I'm crazy proud of how Richburg has bounced back and Skule has blown me away.

Also, this could help a lot.

The OL has something to do with the 175 rushing yards per game, I would think.

It is great that Staley is getting ready to play.
Oline - The Coon

Jimmy G / Run Game - Mysterion
Staley looks good doing drills on the videos I have seen. The key will be how he looks tomorrow and Friday in practice
Originally posted by littleken:
The OL has something to do with the 175 rushing yards per game, I would think.

It is great that Staley is getting ready to play.

100%...but you were citing pass protection stats first.
Man with Staley coming back it looks like we found our swing tackle for a while in Justin Skule. He has played well and should only get better.

Richburg and Person are playing at very high levels and Tomlinson is not far behind.

If we can have our core of Staley-Tomlinson-Richburg-McGlinchy and Juice leading the way, going into the playoffs 👀 👀
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Man with Staley coming back it looks like we found our swing tackle for a while in Justin Skule. He has played well and should only get better.

Richburg and Person are playing at very high levels and Tomlinson is not far behind.

If we can have our core of Staley-Tomlinson-Richburg-McGlinchy and Juice leading the way, going into the playoffs 👀 👀

Most definitely. Once Kyle can fully open up his playbook for the passing game, look out!

And there is Shon Coleman, sitting at home thinking, how quickly they forget you!
Yup yup. When you pass the least, have the fastest TTT and rush for 175 yards a game, your pass protection stats look terrific.

Same thing NE does and a lot of people in here to that OL. Short passes, quick releases, and run the ball a ton.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yup yup. When you pass the least, have the fastest TTT and rush for 175 yards a game, your pass protection stats look terrific.

Same thing NE does and a lot of people in here to that OL. Short passes, quick releases, and run the ball a ton.

Our line is much better than New Englands, especially at the tackles.
Originally posted by English:

And there is Shon Coleman, sitting at home thinking, how quickly they forget you!

Coleman, IIRC, backs up MM and he's signed LT. So having Skule continue to develop at LT is terrific. Before this year, Kyle always kept 10 OL anyhow. It'd still highly consider a top pick being used for T though as he'll need to start training now. We'll eventually want a long term answer there who's got enough talent to stand on his own. I'm not 100% sold Skule has that ability or ceiling but I am as a swing tackle.

Originally posted by NYniner85:

But coming in to the year, that wasn't what Kyle was game planning hence, why his QB's were taking a consistent pounding; hence why so many mocked and FA'd OL for protection. He's completely flipped 180 on his game plans.

Now, once he gets MM, JS and KJ back though, he's probably going to have the perfect balance. The QB sacks and hits will naturally go up then too but so to will the bigger production. I can't wait esp. with the addition of ES!
Yeah, I've actually been quite impressed with Skule.
Originally posted by raywm3:
Yeah, I've actually been quite impressed with Skule.

Me too. I watched him in pre season and he looked so awkward and top heavy. I tought he'd be a candidate for the PS for a year where he could diet and strength build and learn this complicated scheme and all the nuances that come with it. Then next year start really learning from Staley and compete with Coleman for the primary swing tackle role. He's far exceeded my expectations...and faith!
Very late to the party but...yeah...ya think?

You guys think that our tackles have been playing admirably is because they been playing against our defense? Iron sharpens iron
Share 49ersWebzone