There are 72 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • evil
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,877
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Trent Brown would be helpful about now.

How so? If we kept TB then we don't draft Glinch. So TB is still at RT and Staley is out for 6-8 weeks.
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Trent Brown would be helpful about now.

How so? If we kept TB then we don't draft Glinch. So TB is still at RT and Staley is out for 6-8 weeks.

They could have kept both and put one at guard but that ship has sailed. Hopefully the line will be ok while Staley is out. Skule would be a great find.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
They could have kept both and put one at guard but that ship has sailed. Hopefully the line will be ok while Staley is out. Skule would be a great find.

Brown & McG can't play guard...at least not well. Not sure why everyone just assumes stuff like that. They're not the same position and require different skill sets. It's like saying Thomas can play DE even though he's better as a DT. Throw in Brown wanted to get paid as a LT (which he did).

People also need to realize how much Kyle values athletic ability at tackle and you HAVE to be a quality run-blocker (for OZ).
Imagine being 6'8" having to go against 6'1" Aaron Donald.

Lol, Good luck trying to win the leverage battle.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
At least 65% of the league is in a worse position then we are at OL.

Did you get that from PFF?

nah I got it from this

Originally posted by Heroism:
Imagine being 6'8" having to go against 6'1" Aaron Donald.

Lol, Good luck trying to win the leverage battle.

right?! leverage matters a ton especially inside.
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Trent Brown would be helpful about now.

How so? If we kept TB then we don't draft Glinch. So TB is still at RT and Staley is out for 6-8 weeks.

Brown would have left in free agency this past offseason. So if we kept Brown we'd have neither Staley or McGlinchey right now.
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Trent Brown would be helpful about now.

How so? If we kept TB then we don't draft Glinch. So TB is still at RT and Staley is out for 6-8 weeks.

Technically we traded after TB after we drafted Mcglinchey.

So we could have kept him and got one of them trained to be backup LT.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,746
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Brown & McG can't play guard...at least not well. Not sure why everyone just assumes stuff like that. They're not the same position and require different skill sets. It's like saying Thomas can play DE even though he's better as a DT. Throw in Brown wanted to get paid as a LT (which he did).

People also need to realize how much Kyle values athletic ability at tackle and you HAVE to be a quality run-blocker (for OZ).




Brown couldn't run block for s**t on the move. BRB, running an OZ dominant scheme with a guy that struggles to block outside of a phone booth. He is perfectly suited for the scheme he is playing in now just as McGlinchey is best suited for this offense.

Originally posted by okdkid:

Originally posted by KittleMeThis:
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Trent Brown would be helpful about now.

How so? If we kept TB then we don't draft Glinch. So TB is still at RT and Staley is out for 6-8 weeks.

Technically we traded after TB after we drafted Mcglinchey.

So we could have kept him and got one of them trained to be backup LT.

We definitely should have known a year plus in advance of Staley's injury.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
nah I got it from this


That's amazing and also indicative of the level of play we've had so far. I expect Sunday's game to bring us back closer to where I see our O-line being (top-10 overall).
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 30,721
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Brown & McG can't play guard...at least not well. Not sure why everyone just assumes stuff like that. They're not the same position and require different skill sets. It's like saying Thomas can play DE even though he's better as a DT. Throw in Brown wanted to get paid as a LT (which he did).

People also need to realize how much Kyle values athletic ability at tackle and you HAVE to be a quality run-blocker (for OZ).


Brown couldn't run block for s**t on the move. BRB, running an OZ dominant scheme with a guy that struggles to block outside of a phone booth. He is perfectly suited for the scheme he is playing in now just as McGlinchey is best suited for this offense.

Brown is just fine in space if someone happens to be in the straight line in which he is running, if you call what he does "running."

As you say, "horses for courses." Brown works in a power run game and with a QB who gets the ball out quickly. That is not what Kyle does.
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 30,721
Originally posted by okdkid:

Just checking the inventory to see what is out there in case of further injury. Due diligence.
Share 49erswebzone