49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
So much for leading the league in hits after this week. OL got destroyed. JG is a f**king man for the abuse he took and stood in there for. Unreal.

That was not getting destroyed. Just a lot of well timed blitzes that got guys unblocked. Steelers are good at that.

9ers o line was better than Pitts considering 9ers didn't blitz much and still got lots of pressure.

Blitz? Not at all. The play where McG just whiffs was a 4 man rush. They were just overwhelmed. Also blitz pick-up is SOP for OLs right?

I don't know what they are seeing. Every DL and DB/LB was getting in on the action. I'm pretty sure I saw Mike Tomlin run blitz too. LOL. JG was harrassed and beat up badly all day long. Thank God they all had 2 weeks to recover. I thought Garoppolo would need his jaw wired-shut after one of those hits.

The OL did OK in PP yesterday, but let's not defend what's not real right? Jimmy got the s**t beat out of him. If you want your QB to stay around for 12 more games, you're going to have to do a little bit better job of protecting him and Skule wasn't the weakest link. Simply McG had a bad game. I'm sure he'll get better. Tomlinson was called for a hold along with Skule - although Tomlinson's seemed a bit more obvious to me. All three of Skule's holds were in the 4th quarter because Kyle started to take more chances and provided him with less help. The blocking penalty was b******t.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/game/pittsburgh-steelers-at-san-francisco-49ers-09-22-2019

No lie about McG; he was getting beaten like a cheap drum. He could not keep his guy out. Either kyle should have put another TE on him or he should ahve stayed away from the R side. It was ugly when McG was supposed to be protecting his Qb. That was an epic fail on his part. Sure hope he does better by next game. Jimmy was well proteccted first two games. But when a team like Steelter blitzes over 60 % of the time then Kylie has got to counter that. Jimmy was getting rocked all game long. Way , way too much. C'mon coach, protect your qB....or at least recognize he needs help.

Some of you are clearly underestimating how difficult it is blocking TJ Watt.
[ Edited by SFrush on Sep 23, 2019 at 4:04 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
It might be. So then Jimmy needs to read it quick and burn them so they can't anymore. If they are too worried about some weapon making a play on them they will stop blitzing.

Totally. And he WAS beating them which is very encouraging. BTW, what gives with never using Goodwin's deep speed? Any theories on this one?
So Kyle doesn't necessarily believe in keeping extra blockers in if it means someone is 1-1 for a big play. I'll never forget when he left Mullens last year completely unblocked with a free rusher. The plan was to get the ball out before the rusher got to the QB. Unfortunately, the ball didn't come out and Mullens gets creamed. Sure you can blame Mullens for that, but that has to be shared with play design. Sure if it hits big, SOME DCs will call off the dogs, but mostly that's not the case. I think the Rams struggled against the Browns because Lord Fangio figured them out.

The Steelers weren't fooled by PA or the naked bootlegs...everytime he turned around there was at least one defender already in the backfield with JG getting a pass knocked down, off target pass to the Arby, rushed throw. That's scheme but also a tip of the cap to their scouting and execution as well. Tough, tough game.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
No lie about McG; he was getting beaten like a cheap drum. He could not keep his guy out. Either kyle should have put another TE on him or he should ahve stayed away from the R side. It was ugly when McG was supposed to be protecting his Qb. That was an epic fail on his part. Sure hope he does better by next game. Jimmy was well proteccted first two games. But when a team like Steelter blitzes over 60 % of the time then Kylie has got to counter that. Jimmy was getting rocked all game long. Way , way too much. C'mon coach, protect your qB....or at least recognize he needs help.

Easier said than done, against a blitzing team, and Mike Tomlin is one of the best coaches on blitzing. Otherwise he wouldn't be a head coach. The blitz itself always lends to an inconsistent offense, by definition. They win some, you win some. It's a guessing game. A good strong run game is important against a blitzing team, because generally a good strong run game calms a blitzing team down and forces them to become very basic and sound in their defensive schemes.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
So Kyle doesn't necessarily believe in keeping extra blockers in if it means someone is 1-1 for a big play. I'll never forget when he left Mullens last year completely unblocked with a free rusher. The plan was to get the ball out before the rusher got to the QB. Unfortunately, the ball didn't come out and Mullens gets creamed. Sure you can blame Mullens for that, but that has to be shared with play design. Sure if it hits big, SOME DCs will call off the dogs, but mostly that's not the case. I think the Rams struggled against the Browns because Lord Fangio figured them out.

The Steelers weren't fooled by PA or the naked bootlegs...everytime he turned around there was at least one defender already in the backfield with JG getting a pass knocked down, off target pass to the Arby, rushed throw. That's scheme but also a tip of the cap to their scouting and execution as well. Tough, tough game.

I agree. The Steeler defense is a very well coached defensive team. Having said that, Kyle made his adjustments and in the 2nd half, started scoring on that defense.
Originally posted by Giedi:

I agree. The Steeler defense is a very well coached defensive team. Having said that, Kyle made his adjustments and in the 2nd half, started scoring on that defense.

lol... I think it was just not turning the ball over that we started scoring... in the first half we were moving the ball on that defense easily, just kept shooting ourselves in the foot everytime we got in the red zone or near it.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
lol... I think it was just not turning the ball over that we started scoring... in the first half we were moving the ball on that defense easily, just kept shooting ourselves in the foot everytime we got in the red zone or near it.
Well I saw the Steeler defense come out with the 46 defense formation in the first QTR, they covered the center and the two guards and positioned the LB"s outside the OT's, and Kyle quit trying to run outside the OT's and started attacking off tackle, and that made a difference in the 2nd half. The Steeler defense in the first half, put a lot of pressure on Jimmy, and I think they got tired in the 2nd half - and the pressure diminished a bit so Jimmy could complete the longer passes. I think the pressure and run stoutness of the Steeler defense had a lot to do with the 49er turnovers. When the 49ers gassed them, they couldn't stop Kyles offense anymore.
  • dj43
Gotta shore this up because it might not stop otherwise.

Two points:

1. Pittsburgh has excellent personnel to run blitzes like that. Not everyone can do it.

2. The young receivers, along with Jimmy, must learn to make those hot reads to make the defense pay when they blitz. Once that starts happening, the blitzes will drop off.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Jimmy G got his azz kicked by the Steelers D. He took what they gave and got us the win along with our D.

Yeah, it's a two edged sword for me. On one hand, Shanahan is capable of out scheming most opponents. Give him enough tries and he'll figure something out. On the other hand, it's risky having a speed bump blocking strategy. It puts a lot of pressure on Garoppolo, who's already burdened with executing Shanahan's calls. Let Shanahan bear more of the burden, not the guy getting bruised up.

I get flashbacks to the 95-97 Niners. Great WCO and quick defense. Both were void against GBs 1500 lb DL and corn fed run game. Hopefully, the team has some good showings against tougher lines this season. (Or even better, not have to face some quality lines when it counts.)
[ Edited by zonkers on Sep 23, 2019 at 8:50 PM ]

anyone got that updated hits on qb stats? Last time I remember we had the fewest after 2 weeks with 4 i think? I felt like jimmy got hit like 8-12 times this past game. Where do we stand now.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zonkers:
Yeah, it's a two edged sword for me. On one hand, Shanahan is capable of out scheming most opponents. Give him enough tries and he'll figure something out. On the other hand, it's risky having a speed bump blocking strategy. It puts a lot of pressure on Garoppolo, who's already burdened with executing Shanahan's calls. Let Shanahan bear more of the burden, not the guy getting bruised up.

I get flashbacks to the 95-97 Niners. Great WCO and quick defense. Both were void against GBs 1500 lb DL and corn fed run game. Hopefully, the team has some good showings against tougher lines this season. (Or even better, not have to face some quality lines when it counts.)

The Biltzburg Scheme is pressure on the QB which results in turnovers or QB mistakes. That's the blitzburg defensive concept and they do it well. It's no accident that the blitzing starts to get heavy in the red zone, and that's because you have the back of the endzone as an additional DB. I don't think it's really an accident that a lot of our turnovers were near the red zone either, and that's because bend but don't break defenses start blitzing like crazy in that area because of said back-of-endzone. I really respect Mike Tomlin, he has two super bowl rings so he's no chump change coach. He knows when to blitz and when not to blitz.
Originally posted by zonkers:

The Biltzburg Scheme is pressure on the QB which results in turnovers or QB mistakes. That's the blitzburg defensive concept and they do it well. It's no accident that the blitzing starts to get heavy in the red zone, and that's because you have the back of the endzone as an additional DB. I don't think it's really an accident that a lot of our turnovers were near the red zone either, and that's because bend but don't break defenses start blitzing like crazy in that area because of said back-of-endzone. I really respect Mike Tomlin, he has two super bowl rings so he's no chump change coach. He knows when to blitz and when not to blitz.

remind me to respond to this tomorrow because im too buzzed right now lol, but in the mean time lol wut.
anyone got that updated hits on qb stats? Last time I remember we had the fewest after 2 weeks with 4 i think? I felt like jimmy got hit like 8-12 times this past game. Where do we stand now.

Idk about hits but we've only allowed 2 sacks all year
Kyle's buzzing running game helps a lot with the pass rush. Lots of movements by the line at the snap. It's a beautiful thing to see when coordinated.
Share 49ersWebzone