LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

49ers history thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Kinda b***h move by Paul Brown to call up potential teams Walsh was interviewing to 'blackball' him.

I can understand not giving him the Browns HC job. Paul was right about Walsh not being able to handle the football season emotionally, too high and too low at times. But to have gone further to call up potential interviewing teams.

Could've gone to GreenBay, Rams, and Seattle

I loved how everyone didn't think he was tough......He was a golden gloves Boxer. I also love how the mantra of "beating them to the punch" pretty much drove his system.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Kinda b***h move by Paul Brown to call up potential teams Walsh was interviewing to 'blackball' him.

I can understand not giving him the Browns HC job. Paul was right about Walsh not being able to handle the football season emotionally, too high and too low at times. But to have gone further to call up potential interviewing teams.

Could've gone to GreenBay, Rams, and Seattle

Be glad Paul Brown blocked it. In the same way we should be glad that Trent Baalke f'ed up in the manner he did. It all ended up working out for the greater good of the 49ers. I think the blocking added a little more gas on the fire for Walsh when he did get his opportunity. One of my favorite parts of Bill Walsh's a football life is when they were showing the Triple Pass from Super Bowl XVI.
Not sure where else to ask, but does anyone have the videos of Walsh doing a breakdown of the West coast offense on the practice field in 2001/2002 maybe?

It featured Joe, Randy Cross, Roger and a bunch of others in shorts and T-shirts
Drafting Solly will go down in history.
Anybody catch Mike Holmgren's A Football Life episode?
It was nicely done, and I'm glad they spent a good amount of time covering his days in SF. Steve and Joe were great in their interviews
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
It was nicely done, and I'm glad they spent a good amount of time covering his days in SF. Steve and Joe were great in their interviews

he should have been our coach after jh left,., i was convinced they would pull this out of their butt

I loved it, but was surprised more time wasn't spent on the Niners/Packers rivalry, as well as Holmgren's ability to bring along coaches, who in my opinion, of ALL the coaches in the tree, Holmgren did better than anyone. Gruden and Andy Reid were on the staff, Ray Rhodes was a DC in GB first, etc. I hated the Pack, but it wasn't the same hatred as I had for Dallas.
Originally posted by cciowa:

he should have been our coach after jh left,., i was convinced they would pull this out of their butt

I thought day to day coaching had passed Holmgren by. I did want him to have some association with the team however. I think he truly wants to see the 49ers back. I'm just glad we technically have someone that's in the "family" running things.
49ers were so snake bitten in the 90s. Should've won 3-4 Super Bowls that decade
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
49ers were so snake bitten in the 90s. Should've won 3-4 Super Bowls that decade

Definitely 1990. Definitely 1992. I think if we win that game vs. Atlanta in 1995, we go to the SB and win. As much as I love the 1998 team (it really is one of my favorite non-SB winning teams), I'm not so certain they beat Denver that year.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I thought day to day coaching had passed Holmgren by. I did want him to have some association with the team however. I think he truly wants to see the 49ers back. I'm just glad we technically have someone that's in the "family" running things.
i just felt, this team. after jf was still set to win. even though the cracks were showing. the age to justin. willis and his injuries and the first signs of the regression of ck.. so that is why i said. at the time...... we need to bring in an established vet coach due to the vets on the team. holmgren. older shanny and gruden were my top three. but well. we know what happened. i tried to be positive but did not work. at least it made me take off my rosy posy colored glasses and realize just cuz it has a niner label on it. does not make it perfect and can do no wrong
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Definitely 1990. Definitely 1992. I think if we win that game vs. Atlanta in 1995, we go to the SB and win. As much as I love the 1998 team (it really is one of my favorite non-SB winning teams), I'm not so certain they beat Denver that year.
one reason is cuz they ignored the running back game after ricky left. and they let the defense get old and slow

one reason is cuz they ignored the running back game after ricky left. and they let the defense get old and slow

Definitely. Ricky Watters was the key. Young and Rice's greatness kept the offense near the top with no running game, but we couldn't consistently compete with the top teams. I think how well we did in 1995 made the front office beleven we were fine without Watters. By the time they realized the mistake after the 96 season and got Hearst, it was too late.

Definitely. Ricky Watters was the key. Young and Rice's greatness kept the offense near the top with no running game, but we couldn't consistently compete with the top teams. I think how well we did in 1995 made the front office beleven we were fine without Watters. By the time they realized the mistake after the 96 season and got Hearst, it was too late.

Yeah that stretch between Watters and Hearst was awful and I agree it had a huge impact on our ability to compete.
So I was bored at work today and ran the offensive numbers for the dynasty years through excel

Joe Montana (1981 thru 1990)
Points per game - 25.7
Yards per game - 379.9
Pass per game - 248.7
Rush per game - 131.2
Record (99-34)

Steve Young (1991 thru 1999)
Points per game - 27.4
Yards per game - 376.6
Pass per game - 248.1
Rush per game - 128.5
Record (84-30)

Take note that these numbers are for games they started and doesn't really take in account if they got hurt or sat some plays out. For the most part though I feel like it kinda captures what we were lucky to see for almost 20 years.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jul 9, 2019 at 10:49 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone