LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

The Silver Lining Thread (positive people come on in!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ChuckLeavy32:
When the team lost in 12 to the Ravens I really didn't see a long term run. That team was old and rumors were starting about the coaching staff, let's not forget Roman staying around.

Now this team is completely opposite. Young players, besides Staley, not just young but talented! I think we are in a for a long run of competitive seasons. If you don't love Shannan you're crazy, guy is fun to watch. The ball will fall our way soon and we'll see #6!

Sherman isn't young either. The problem isn't age as much as money. Paraag is great with contracts but we don't have a lot of cap room. After AA, Ward and Sanders this year, they will need to sign Buckner and Kittle who will both want big money. Soon after that they will need to resign Bosa. These are just some of the guys that will need to be resigned. Keeping a team together in this era is a real challenge which is why you can't afford to blow an opportunity like we did this year.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
When the team lost in 12 to the Ravens I really didn't see a long term run. That team was old and rumors were starting about the coaching staff, let's not forget Roman staying around.

Now this team is completely opposite. Young players, besides Staley, not just young but talented! I think we are in a for a long run of competitive seasons. If you don't love Shannan you're crazy, guy is fun to watch. The ball will fall our way soon and we'll see #6!

Sherman isn't young either. The problem isn't age as much as money. Paraag is great with contracts but we don't have a lot of cap room. After AA, Ward and Sanders this year, they will need to sign Buckner and Kittle who will both want big money. Soon after that they will need to resign Bosa. These are just some of the guys that will need to be resigned. Keeping a team together in this era is a real challenge which is why you can't afford to blow an opportunity like we did this year.

We had a gimmick QB back then. Now, we have a real QB. You have that important piece, you have the best chances to make the playoffs every year. That is the big difference between this team and that team. Now for Superbowls, we have the key ingredients for another 2 years.
Originally posted by Joecool:

We had a gimmick QB back then. Now, we have a real QB. You have that important piece, you have the best chances to make the playoffs every year. That is the big difference between this team and that team. Now for Superbowls, we have the key ingredients for another 2 years.

Every team faces cap issues. Wouldn't you say we are ahead of schedule? Nobody seriously anticipated the Super Bowl this year. And yes the QB situation actually makes me feel better for long term success.
Every team faces cap issues. Wouldn't you say we are ahead of schedule? Nobody seriously anticipated the Super Bowl this year. And yes the QB situation actually makes me feel better for long term success.

We are ahead of schedule but that doesn't mean we are going to be able to keep the team together. We already are in a tough spot trying to sign a couple of guys because we don't have a lot of cap space. Returning to the SB the year after losing is really tough so I'm thinking it might not happen again until 2021. Next year it's Kittle's and Buckner's turn to cash in. What if Buckner leaves? Players leave for reasons other than money. Sometimes they just see better situation with another team. Maybe they follow a coach. Sometimes they want to play closer to home. Roster turnover is huge in today's NFL.

We are ahead of schedule but that doesn't mean we are going to be able to keep the team together. We already are in a tough spot trying to sign a couple of guys because we don't have a lot of cap space. Returning to the SB the year after losing is really tough so I'm thinking it might not happen again until 2021. Next year it's Kittle's and Buckner's turn to cash in. What if Buckner leaves? Players leave for reasons other than money. Sometimes they just see better situation with another team. Maybe they follow a coach. Sometimes they want to play closer to home. Roster turnover is huge in today's NFL.

Just got to hope they continue to find and develop UDFAs and late round picks. Keeping the nucleus of superstars paid and continuing to develop the supporting cast is the main challenge.
We lost the Superbowl again. What silver lining.
  • thl408
SF won't be picking last in every round.
There's 10+ teams that haven't made the playoffs in 10+ years. In the last 9 years, the 49ers have won 7 playoff games and have gone to 2 super bowls. Can't complain too too much I guess.
  • thl408
There's no pressure of being the defending champions.
Well we certainly don't suck!

One other positive, the team overall is young, hungry, and seems determined to rebound.
Originally posted by Niners_D:
One other positive, the team overall is young, hungry, and seems determined to rebound.

Exactly. Bringing back mostly same players same coaching. May even play faster due to continuity.

This is why I think there won't be a SB hangover.
We might only lose one starter being Jimmy Ward or Emmanuel Sanders. I think we might let Ward go because he is not a play maker in the slightest bit. He cannot get interceptions to save his life but he's a good tackler and forces a fumble every once in a while. We can upgrade on this position in the first round or maybe get a free agent safety that comes available that can actually make game changing plays.

We keep AA and the only other starter Eman Even though he's restricted free agent and we will have him locked up
Originally posted by scottym:
Well we certainly don't suck!

Until the Super Bowl
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Kids in Africa are wearing niner gear.
Share 49ersWebzone