LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

The Silver Lining Thread (positive people come on in!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
• The Jim Tomsula coaching tree!
• Cricket Sundays!
• Beheadings on the logo after games!

Sorry. Here's a real one: No more pain in losing to the Seahawks.
[ Edited by audick on Jan 29, 2015 at 9:33 AM ]
I'm hip...I call 'em fair-weather fans. They're on the bandwagon when things are good...the minute they take a turn downward, they're ready to crucify Jed, Baalke, Tomsula, etc. As I've said a number of times, there's a reason fans of other teams often refer to Niner fans as "40-whiners". It's really disgusting...and aside from a handful of objective Bay Area sportswriters, the media's having a feeding frenzy because they don't know how to do anything else. I've been a NIner fanatic since 1957 and I'm sure as heck not going to give up on them now. So far all you doomsdayers out there, I really hope you have to eat your words. Those of us who remain positive will take great pleasure in that.
Originally posted by Viperboy:
We pissed off negative guys, should let the happy positive guys have their own thread...although it would be nice if the negative guys could have their own thread , without the happy guys butting in........OMG what has happened to our team ?

There are at least two threads specifically set aside for negative folk. Aside from all the whinging in the rest of Niner Talk.
If there is one positive I can see in all this, it's that maybe Tomsula can see through the BS and make it all work. He's watched all the other regimes before him (Nolan, Singletary, Harbaugh) and hopefully learned from their mistakes. All I can add is... "Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst. That's the best silver lining you're going to get.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Championship.
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
wtf, Steve Balmer is a great owner

It was Donald sterling I was referring to about the clippers analogy???? Obviously not the new owner
Ppl on this board can point out the YORK's made a great hire in Harbaugh but I will argue it was Harbaugh who wanted the 49ers.
bottom line unless you have a franchise QB, coaching and scheming matter in the NFL, even with our "talent "
Keeping with the supposed theme of this thread. For all the talk that goes on in this forum I am fairly certain that no one who posts here is currently employed by the 49ers or has any personal knowledge of what it was like to work with Jim Harbaugh on a day-to-day basis. There is no denying that he is a good coach but it is easy to imagine that he could be someone who was very difficult to get along with. I'm sure we have all had experience of going to work with people that we just can't stand and what a burden that becomes when you have to deal with it day in and day out. York and Baalke definitely seem to have a comfort level with each other that, for whatever reason, they could not reach with Harbaugh, in spite of his success, so they let him go. York's team, York's call.

On the surface it seems as though they are trying to create and atmosphere around the team that is less toxic. Tomsula seems to be well regarded by both the owners and the players and appears to be pulling together a staff of people he has worked with in the past and so I assume has good relationships with and at least some degree of respect for their ability as coaches. They have also kept coaches - Rathman, Chryst, and Mangini - who have experience with the team and the players and, presumably, understand the dynamics of what led to Harbaugh's release and what will be expected of them. I don't think any of that is necessarily a bad thing.

Baalke has given them the mandate to go back to being a running team, which is clearly the identity he prefers, and is what he has drafted for, now it will be up to the coaches to deliver. Unlike a lot of people in this forum I am not ready to write them off before they have even started, but they certainly have had the bar set high. Hopefully York won't end up being an owner like Snyder in Washington who just remains clueless about what it takes to run a franchise but he has rolled the dice and now we are all left to wait and see how they land. Hopefully it won't be snake eyes.
My take:

1. Sometimes less is more. (I hope this is one of those times.)

The last couple years, the 49ers seemingly tried everything to get the offense to improve, but the results were still inconsistent. I'm cautiously optimistic that the new offensive staff will keep it simple enough so that the ballers can ball and make plays. If nothing else, I'm expecting to see less delay of game penalties, which will automatically make the games more fun to watch.

2. The coaches are set up for . . . Success?

The common thinking is that the entire coaching staff is Baalke's puppet collection. I see it more as Baalke picking guys who know their role, in a good way. The coaches know that Baalke will try his best to give them a good roster week in and week out. They just need to do what they are good at: coach.
My opinion is that most coach/GM relationships degrade when both sides don't understand that dynamic. Some GMs may fail to follow their own player evaluation system or are bad at making decisions. Some coaches may disagree with personnel decisions that were necessary on the larger scale. I think Baalke does a pretty solid job on his end.
So, I have hope that the new coaches will be good at working with what they have and trusting that Baalke will make good choices. Maybe the coaches will be shy because they really are puppets. But I still think it's a positive to have a good group of guys who all know their roles, are in lock-step, and work as a team. I'm hoping these coaches are good (enough) because teamwork doesn't work as well if everyone is terrible.
[ Edited by zonkers on Jan 29, 2015 at 10:34 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
was underwhelmed by the head coach hire and was not please with the jeep hire but i am past that now and am back to having a open mind. it is silly, stupid , illogical, whatever you want to say to NOT give these guys a chance. i know there are lots of maybes here but maybe they will work well as a staff, maybe they will help teach our players to be better,, run a game clock, know what do to with a challenge flag, score more than four points a game per game in the second half of games and getting the players back to having fun again, which was not there last year. we talk about how we have to let things play out when a player gets in trouble,, it should be the same for this staff. i swear, some fans act like they are hoping and wishing we fail. new ideas, new energy,, playing to the players strengths ,,, does it really matter if those things come from a hall of fame coach like shanny or a guy that coached in nfl europe? cuz we all know those things sure as hell did not come from the coaches last year. onward and upward.... oh and lol at people who want this locked. what , do they work for the obama administration
Originally posted by mayo49:
Championship.

Honestly tho.

If we're healthy next year, we're in the mix for a Super Bowl.

We will be good. We might even be great, despite getting rid of good coaches.

I have faith. Super Bowl in our house let's go!

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vermonator:
If there is one positive I can see in all this, it's that maybe Tomsula can see through the BS and make it all work. He's watched all the other regimes before him (Nolan, Singletary, Harbaugh) and hopefully learned from their mistakes. All I can add is... "Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst. That's the best silver lining you're going to get.

he did hint, the players did not have fun last year and the first thing that someone did was get rid of that dips**t two locker room setup which the former coaches thought was nice,,,, talk about a house divided... he also does not have to have the spotlight on him all the time unlike previous coaches we have had. actually i think the last three coaches were like that so this change of pace will be nice.
Originally posted by cciowa:
was underwhelmed by the head coach hire and was not please with the jeep hire but i am past that now and am back to having a open mind. it is silly, stupid , illogical, whatever you want to say to NOT give these guys a chance. i know there are lots of maybes here but maybe they will work well as a staff, maybe they will help teach our players to be better,, run a game clock, know what do to with a challenge flag, score more than four points a game per game in the second half of games and getting the players back to having fun again, which was not there last year. we talk about how we have to let things play out when a player gets in trouble,, it should be the same for this staff. i swear, some fans act like they are hoping and wishing we fail. new ideas, new energy,, playing to the players strengths ,,, does it really matter if those things come from a hall of fame coach like shanny or a guy that coached in nfl europe? cuz we all know those things sure as hell did not come from the coaches last year. onward and upward.... oh and lol at people who want this locked. what , do they work for the obama administration
Can I just cut and paste your response cciowa. These are my thought too. Are you messing with me.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Championship.

Honestly tho.

If we're healthy next year, we're in the mix for a Super Bowl.

We will be good. We might even be great, despite getting rid of good coaches.

I have faith. Super Bowl in our house let's go!
i just want to us to be back where we can beat the bears, rams and raiders. and unlike the second seattle game and second half of the chargers game,, where we play and coach with a sense of urgency in wining games and actually be able to adjust at half time. it can not be any worse and of that i am convinced.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Silver lining is we'll see more Carlos Hyde and Aaron Lynch next season.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Can I just cut and paste your response cciowa. These are my thought too. Are you messing with me.
i just get pissed off cuz i have seen this stuff starting on the night we lost to the ravens with alex in 2011. its like people who say they are fans clearly hate this team and root or hope they fail. our entire webzone history is littered with examples
the best thing is for alex to get hurt so ck can take over
we need to lose and tank so we can draft higher
suck for luck
we need to hope we suck next year so we can fire the current coaches
and the infamous first pick of 2017 garbage..
Share 49ersWebzone