There are 269 users in the forums

The Silver Lining Thread (positive people come on in!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Viperboy:
Pissed off negative guy here with a positive thought....BOWMAN BOWMAN BOWMAN....If Navarro comes back healthy what a shot in the arm !

i think if vernon gets out of whatever the hell was wrong with him last year, that wold be huge. hope gore can come back, think we need a healthy hunter to. and need to revamp the wide outs. i also think with what he is doing in the off season and with a new qb coach, ck will be better on august first then what he was on december first. healthy dorsey, willis, the kids that got the experience last year will all be good... aldon needs a kick in the ass cuz he was invisible in the last several games of the year.
Self Scouting. A couple years ago we signed Craig Dahl and he told us that we telegraphed our plays(still do as evidenced by Joe Staley complaining on one of the SoundFX) and that's how the Rams beat us. We interviewed at least 11 coaches for HC and OC and even though they may not have told us something that specific, they still probably outlined our areas of improvement to Baalke. Heck, Baalke talked to Gase for 8 hours, Gase must of told him something valuable in all that time.

Development. You only have so many coaching resources and starters take priority over undrafted FA's, 6th round picks and practice squad players. If you have 2 coaches for the same position, one could coach starters and the other could cater to the developmental players(Okoye, Ramsey) who won't be seeing any playing time soon.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
oh and do not even get me started on the people who say they are ashamed to wear niner stuff and one said he will not do it till we are better than 8-8. those people can not be reasoned with in my opinion
OK, I'm going to try:

1) Geep knows Kap pretty well by now, so he'll know what works/doesn't work on the field. He can adjust quicker than an outside coach.
2) Full-fledged, healthy starters on defense coached by a guy who likes to be aggressive. Should be fun to watch.
3) Attitude-shift from "serious business" to "let's have fun out there" might be a good thing for the players. No Super Bowl aspirations (pressure) to live up to.

Originally posted by cciowa:
oh and do not even get me started on the people who say they are ashamed to wear niner stuff and one said he will not do it till we are better than 8-8. those people can not be reasoned with in my opinion

What about me? I plan to wear my colors proudly..... but will not BUY anything until the team hits the playoffs, NFCCG or Super Bowl. Just holding Jed York accountable as much as I can.
Originally posted by MCrabs15:
We hav pretty helmets

I can't wait to see next season's cheerleaders. Should be some great talent.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Antix:
Thought this thread was supposed to be a positive thread? Anyway...

I was pissed after hearing about the Geep hiring even though I knew it would happen, so i took the rest of the day off yesterday and now I've decided to be optimistic. Next year may end up being a complete cluster-f**k, but if it does, I'll still be living and breathing so in the grand scheme of thing its not that big a deal. Some of you guys will get your jollies off on being able to say "i told you so" to the board. So even if we lose, you win.

But let's consider that maybe, just MAYBE Baalke knew what he was doing. You can choose to look at this negatively (which is much much easier) and be justified. I have no problem with that. I tend to be more negative and I've been pretty negative to this point (and still am in many respects). But I refuse to ignore the potential positives. Here are some possibilities (focusing mostly on offense)..

1) The amount of egos have been greatly reduced. Say what you will about Harbaugh, the fact is he didn't fix the problems that had been problems for years. I'm not here to say he should or shouldn't have been fired for it, but nobody can deny that, despite our success, a lot of the same issues remained throughout his tenure (delays, TOs, terrible challenges, passing game etc.). I personally believe this was due to ego. He wanted things to work his way. Harbaugh was definitely smart and capable enough to fix the issues, but seemed to decide not to. Fireable offense? Maybe, maybe not.
With this coaching staff, however, we have fresh faces with much smaller egos who are likely eager to prove they belong in the NFL If we have issues (which I know we will) I don't believe it will be because the staff just refused to fix them. With the reduced egos, I believe we can actually have a coaching staff that spitballs ideas off of one another. The names are not sexy, but they do come with decades of football coaching experience. A group of hungry no names with tons of experience working together to prove they belong in the NFL isn't the worst thing in the world.

2)The Roster. We still have a pretty good, deep roster. We haven't hit FA OR the draft yet. AND we still got redshirts from last years draft scheduled to hit the field. People tend to compare these hirings with Singletary's, but Sing's teams were not this talented. Much of our issues last year were not related to talent, but to injury and/or scheme. To me it's tough to think that this team, as constructed currently, will be a 4-6 win team unless they just give up. We definitely have needs, but this is definitely a roster capable of getting to and making noise in the playoffs. Don't let your emotions and hate for the FO blind you to this fact.

3) It's f**king January! The Super Bowl has yet to be played and you guys are ready to pick first in the 2016 draft. That's a bit bonkers. I understand the feeling. That's exactly how I felt when I read Geep was hired on the front page. But give the coaching staff a f**king chance to talk to each other and draw up a play or two before you go off the deep end. Stress aint' good and it's just a game after all. Nobody here has any idea what's going on at 4949 (annoying, I know), so ease up a bit and chill. You guys will end up being the world's biggest Tomsula dickriders if this actually pans out.

If the 49ers can maintain their defense, which has more proven coaches, then the offense can afford to be simple in scheme, but better in execution. Pound the ball with Hyde and playaction off of that. Make it simple all the way around, but win in the trenches.

Defensively I am stoked with having Aaron and Aldon coming off the edges for a whole season. Then Bow and Willis are back. There is some uncertainty with the CB position, while the play of the safeties should be solid again. There's going to be some change along the DL, but the 49ers still have one of the best DL coaches on their staff. Having Ian and Dorsey back will help to round out the young DLine (Tank, Dial).
Originally posted by Antix:
Thought this thread was supposed to be a positive thread? Anyway...

Fair question. The mods have suspended 3 people so far for their posting in this thread.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cortana49:

What about me? I plan to wear my colors proudly..... but will not BUY anything until the team hits the playoffs, NFCCG or Super Bowl. Just holding Jed York accountable as much as I can.
i have not made up my mind about you yet

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
If the 49ers can maintain their defense, which has more proven coaches, then the offense can afford to be simple in scheme, but better in execution. Pound the ball with Hyde and playaction off of that. Make it simple all the way around, but win in the trenches.

Defensively I am stoked with having Aaron and Aldon coming off the edges for a whole season. Then Bow and Willis are back. There is some uncertainty with the CB position, while the play of the safeties should be solid again. There's going to be some change along the DL, but the 49ers still have one of the best DL coaches on their staff. Having Ian and Dorsey back will help to round out the young DLine (Tank, Dial).
really wish they would bring back cox though i know him and skuta think they deserve big bucks, and perhaps rightfully so. am a titch worried about eric and his head injuries , sorry this is a positive thread
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Championship.

Honestly tho.

If we're healthy next year, we're in the mix for a Super Bowl.

We will be good. We might even be great, despite getting rid of good coaches.

I have faith. Super Bowl in our house let's go!
i just want to us to be back where we can beat the bears, rams and raiders. and unlike the second seattle game and second half of the chargers game,, where we play and coach with a sense of urgency in wining games and actually be able to adjust at half time. it can not be any worse and of that i am convinced.

A sense of urgency comes from the coaching staff... Soooo many games that I can point to where we had absolutely no sense of urgency...

This was something I learned in high school football.... Attention to detail, a sense of urgency...

If we get some of that back, we will improve.... We are stacked still IMO
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
A sense of urgency comes from the coaching staff... Soooo many games that I can point to where we had absolutely no sense of urgency...

This was something I learned in high school football.... Attention to detail, a sense of urgency...

If we get some of that back, we will improve.... We are stacked still IMO

the second seattle game stands out to me as lack of urgency from coaches which filtered down to the players, now i had turned my back on roman two minutes after the super bowl ended,,but the seattle game, then the second half of the chargers game sealed the fate of jh for me.
the second seattle game stands out to me as lack of urgency from coaches which filtered down to the players, now i had turned my back on roman two minutes after the super bowl ended,,but the seattle game, then the second half of the chargers game sealed the fate of jh for me.

Is that the game after our bye week where we played flat at home? Or was that Rams? Either way, second half of chargers game said it all.

When your team is not showing any fight, they quit on the coaches. Once that happens there is no other remedy other than fire the coach
i have not made up my mind about you yet
Share 49ersWebzone