LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by NCommand:
So the Hawks just ran a jet sweep and the outside blocker (TE, I believe) was blocking out a DB down field in front of Harvin. I thought a DB could only be blocked out within 1 yard of the LOS now? B/c it's a handoff, all blocking is legal downfield?

Yeah, you can block anywhere on the field on a run play.

Yeah, run blocking can take place anywhere on the field. However, I also get in that train of thought, if Seattle is doing it, it must be braking the rules The make a habit of straddling and crossing over the line of fair play.
tried to edit.
[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Sep 5, 2014 at 4:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners816:
So the Hawks just ran a jet sweep and the outside blocker (TE, I believe) was blocking out a DB down field in front of Harvin. I thought a DB could only be blocked out within 1 yard of the LOS now? B/c it's a handoff, all blocking is legal downfield?

Yeah, run blocking can take place anywhere on the field. However, I also get in that train of thought, if Seattle is doing it, it must be braking the rules The make a habit of straddling and crossing over the line of fair play.

On those jet sweeps -- would it be illegal to literally jump the LOS and nail Percy Harvin with a flying tackle as soon as he passes RW regardless if he gets the ball or not? :) Of course if the timing's right the ball will be hiked before the hit hehe.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by Niners816:

On those jet sweeps -- would it be illegal to literally jump the LOS and nail Percy Harvin with a flying tackle as soon as he passes RW regardless if he gets the ball or not? :) Of course if the timing's right the ball will be hiked before the hit hehe.

THAT'S a good question. I know you're allowed to level the QB on Pistol-like "looks" so why not Harvin? Same concept...the defender is playing, what he thinks, is the player with the ball.
  • thl408
Added: AR concept, Mills concept (vertical stretch)
Originally posted by thl408:
Added: AR concept, Mills concept (vertical stretch)

Nailed 'em! This is my new favorite thread. Thanks again th!
  • thl408
Added Packaged Plays (post #21)
This info is gold for all of those that are trying to learn football on a deeper level. You are really hard pressed to find this concepts laid out in a better way with current niner game film used as the basis.

Personally my favorite offensive concepts have always been:

-flanker drive
-spot
-mesh
-Texas
-curl-flat
-slant-flat
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 7, 2014 at 5:49 AM ]
^^^ preach on brother!
Newbie here go niners!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Hey when you break down the tape this week, make sure to include the Eric Reid interception please. That is a perfect example of our secondary communicating.

It looked like we were single high safety with Bethea being high, reid was low and just straight matching up after that. Dez starts lined up with culliver and as soon as he goes across culliver drops him off and stays put.

reid is in for run support and goes forward with the play action. the other outside is taken care of and then dez is tracked through the middle of the field with Wilhoite picking up Dez and Pat taking Murray.

Pre snap because of the lack of shift I know it probably looked like it was straight up Zone to Romo. After the snap it was totally different. Reid was able to actually run in for run support, recognize it wasn't a run and that Pat had the rb responsibility.. also knowing that Bethea had high so he could patrol.. was able to recover and pick that off. It's an amazing play, Dez was open Wilhoite was doing his job but he can't cover Dez.. Bathea saw it coming already as well, which is why he laid that hit on Dez, I doubt Dez would've held onto that anyway but that type of communication on that play let's me know we're going to be just fine.

Hell of a play by Reid and Vic Fangio for designing it.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Hey when you break down the tape this week, make sure to include the Eric Reid interception please. That is a perfect example of our secondary communicating.

It looked like we were single high safety with Bethea being high, reid was low and just straight matching up after that. Dez starts lined up with culliver and as soon as he goes across culliver drops him off and stays put.

reid is in for run support and goes forward with the play action. the other outside is taken care of and then dez is tracked through the middle of the field with Wilhoite picking up Dez and Pat taking Murray.

Pre snap because of the lack of shift I know it probably looked like it was straight up Zone to Romo. After the snap it was totally different. Reid was able to actually run in for run support, recognize it wasn't a run and that Pat had the rb responsibility.. also knowing that Bethea had high so he could patrol.. was able to recover and pick that off. It's an amazing play, Dez was open Wilhoite was doing his job but he can't cover Dez.. Bathea saw it coming already as well, which is why he laid that hit on Dez, I doubt Dez would've held onto that anyway but that type of communication on that play let's me know we're going to be just fine.

• thl408
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

Sure thing, jonesadrian. If anyone would like a particular play cut up, just post here and I will try my best to get to it. This week, NFL Rewind has made an error with the upload of the 49er/DAL game and the TB/CAR game (both 4p EST games). Those are the only two games that have yet to have the coaches film available. Just our luck. They said they are aware of the problem. I won't post the cut up here, it'll be in the analysis thread.

Added: Power Blocking Run Scheme (post #23)
Originally posted by thl408:
Sure thing, jonesadrian. If anyone would like a particular play cut up, just post here and I will try my best to get to it. This week, NFL Rewind has made an error with the upload of the 49er/DAL game and the TB/CAR game (both 4p EST games). Those are the only two games that have yet to have the coaches film available. Just our luck. They said they are aware of the problem. I won't post the cut up here, it'll be in the analysis thread.

Added: Power Blocking Run Scheme (post #23)

Do you think you could cut up SJ's backside slant? I would kinda like to see what was being ran on the concept side.
Finally got the coaches film available late last night, watched the game through a couple times last night and learned quite a few things.

Overall, the team played very well. Justin Smith is still a beast - made a lot of plays that didn't show up in the stat sheet, also pretty much dominated Dallas' LG the whole game. Frank Gore has definitely still got it, Hyde does have a good burst, but, it's hard to tell the difference between the two runners without looking at their jersey numbers. They both have a very similar running style. Gore did average less per carry, but, he also had more O-line and blocker breakdowns than Hyde did.

The read option is still a very good package for us. It may seem like CK didn't get a lot on the ground with it, but that's because the defense was actively trying to not let him. Ever since CK's game against the Packers a couple years ago when he went off for 181, teams have been dead set that he's not going to do that. So, that has opened up some huge running lanes for the RB's off the read option. Hyde had a few big runs that were the benefit of this. So it's definitely a great option for us.

The O-line played OK, not great. Iupati -surprisingly, had the best game out of all the O-lineman(from what I saw). Looney had the worst. He got flagged for a couple holds and totally whiffed on a few blocks and gave up some pressures. It will be good to get Boone back. Same thing with Martin, he played better in the first half, but, nothing to make me get excited for - those two guys do provide some better depth though as they are both better at their positions than Snyder was at either.

Bruce Miller played an unusually subpar game. He missed at least 4 key blocks on Gore's runs - to the point where Gore, after one run, turned to Miller with his hands out like, "come on man".

CK played an outstanding game, he climbed the pocket, made the right reads, moved on from some reads when they were taken away, made accurate throws, overall a great game by him.

For the defensive side:
Most would say that Wilhoite is no Bowman - but really, it's WIlhoite is no Willis. He's playing Willis' old spot, and Willis is playing Bowman's spot. He's a solid LB, but there is a big difference between him and Willis. The Cowboys were actively trying to run at Wilhoite throughout the game. He doesn't possess near the open field speed of Willis or Bow, which showed up more in pass coverage than anything. I wouldn't be surprised to see more teams try and throw against us out of a 2 WR set this year. He's also not the guy who can take on the blocks quite like Willis or Bow. He's a stop slow to the hole, and doesn't have the recognition ability. It's nothing to freak out about, but, it reminds us of how spoiled we've been to have 2 all pro's at LB.

Brooks played a terrible first half("that's just turrible")..... He got flagged 3 times, missed a couple open field tackles, got whooped on one run and gave up a 10+ yard run to the outside(while taking Willis out of the play too.....) But, he played much better in the 2nd half.

Reid is a stud at safety. The guy looks even better than he did last year. Bethea is also a nice addition - he's not the missile from the secondary in run support that Whitner was, but, he's got a good understanding of pass route combo's and is a smart player who knows where to be on the field.

Overall from the secondary, I saw more man coverage than last year by quite a bit. Last year we didn't run man coverage a whole lot last year. I think a lot of that had to do with the loss of Culliver - who is a good man coverage corner. But, now, with Culliver back and a full offseason with Brock, the gameplan allowed for more man coverage. Also, the guys who came in for both those guys did a good job in coverage throughout the game.

Anyway, that's my summary. So now on to the plays and breakdowns.
Share 49ersWebzone