There are 234 users in the forums

What's the right price for trading Alex Boone?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's the right price for trading Alex Boone?

I can't see a reality in which we get a first round pick for a disgruntled OG who is threatening to hold out the season. These types of trades rarely return the kind of picks we fans want/expect. There is a small chance we could get a second-round pick for him, but I think the pricetag is going to be closer to a third rounder. Boone may be able to play and even excel at OT, but he hasn't shown that in the league. It's one thing to step in and play well as a replacement when no one has scouted you. It's another to have sustained success over the course of a season. I'm not saying Boone can't do it, just that teams aren't likely to count on it.
Boone for Clowney. Straight up. Do it.
If the market is as I'm hearing, they get a minimum 3rd for him. 2nd if we are lucky.
I say a 1st round pick if the club cant mend the relationship.. if they can i want that dumbass back on the team
[ Edited by Stevec9932 on Aug 12, 2014 at 4:43 PM ]
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
If the market is as I'm hearing, they get a minimum 3rd for him. 2nd if we are lucky.

This scenario makes zero sense. If they let him play out his contract, and do not a FA OL, the niners probably would get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him. That is the reason that the Niners should consider nothing less than a second.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by questforsix415:
You all need to be realistic. We are not going to get a first round out of him.

It's rare to get a first rounder out of a lineman. The only guy who can come close is Joe Staley, who might command a second round pick. I hope for a third rounder, but that probably won't happen either. I think if we are lucky, we can get a 4th and a late round 6th from a team that is desperate for a lineman. The fact is, his position is replaceable and teams would rather save their 1 - 3 round picks for potential young stars or proven QB's like Alex Smith.

I wish Boone would honor his contract and play and we probably would extend him with a pay increase next year. It would have been a Win Win, but now it looks like we are going to lose Boone, and Boone risks not playing for a year and potentially missing out on a super bowl and extension for next year.

Joe Staley is an all Pro left tackle. I think you could get more than a 1st round pick for him.
Originally posted by questforsix415:
You all need to be realistic. We are not going to get a first round out of him.

It's rare to get a first rounder out of a lineman. The only guy who can come close is Joe Staley, who might command a second round pick. I hope for a third rounder, but that probably won't happen either. I think if we are lucky, we can get a 4th and a late round 6th from a team that is desperate for a lineman. The fact is, his position is replaceable and teams would rather save their 1 - 3 round picks for potential young stars or proven QB's like Alex Smith.

I wish Boone would honor his contract and play and we probably would extend him with a pay increase next year. It would have been a Win Win, but now it looks like we are going to lose Boone, and Boone risks not playing for a year and potentially missing out on a super bowl and extension for next year.

What you're missing is that the 49ers are under absolutely no requirement to trade him. 49ers aren't desperate and can afford to pit teams versus each other to pull out the best offer. I think if they were dead-set on trading him, they could rack up a 2nd rounder easily considering that there's about half a dozen teams that don't have a single NFL quality guard really.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:

This scenario makes zero sense. If they let him play out his contract, and do not a FA OL, the niners probably would get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him. That is the reason that the Niners should consider nothing less than a second.

This. There is no reason to make this trade unless we are offered above market value. People also need to keep in mind, the draft pick doesn't help us immediately with our OL, which is what we need now. I say we sit on this unless someone comes along with something big.
Dont know what some posters are smoking but pass dat ish..

2nd or higher, otherwise he is more valuable for the example he will set... that is, STFU and get into camp if you want to negotiate. Boone has no leverage other than what other teams are willing to give up for him, the FO should make an example of him if they dont get a top 60 pick in return.
I doubt many, if any teams would be willing to give up a high draft pick for Boone. Yes, he's still a fairly young player with experience, but I'd be surprised if a team gives up a 3rd rounder to get him. Baalke's potentially dealing from a position of strength, so it could be a higher pick, but I'd think whatever team was that willing would be pretty hard up. We'll see...

• Antix
  • Veteran
I think the right asking price is a 1st at worst 2nd. But we'll be offered no more than a 3rd. f**k that. Let him holdout and we'll see what happens.
Look I see how people say that there is no way Boone will be worth 3rd round pick or lower because the compensatory status sets his value. To an extent it has legs but here is why it sets a base that is a lower round than a 3rd.

The compensatory pick would be a 2017th third round pick and just like a 2nd this year is worth a 1st next year so to is a 1st next year equate to a second this year. Right circulatory, I know sorry.

What that says though is that a 3rd round pick next year is worth a 4th round pick this year so a 3rd round pick in 2017 is actually worth a 6rd pick this year. Here is what sets that value, opportunity cost of that player slot over time.

Now I agree I think Boone is worth a high round draft pick and I would hope for a combination that has one pick in the second. But the deal is that a elite young cheap guard can be had in the first and in many circumstances in the 2nd.

Those to components bounds his value which has legitimate merit between the first and 6th round.

The final component is supply/demand and opportunity cost of not having him over the next year for both teams. That is what could drive his value from a min of a 6th to a 2nd or 2/3 combination.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I doubt many, if any teams would be willing to give up a high draft pick for Boone. Yes, he's still a fairly young player with experience, but I'd be surprised if a team gives up a 3rd rounder to get him. Baalke's potentially dealing from a position of strength, so it could be a higher pick, but I'd think whatever team was that willing would be pretty hard up. We'll see...

There's a lot of dumb, desperate teams that will do it. It's not that Boone is the one attracting the teams no more than it's the fact that it's a quality 'mid-tier' 49er player that's up for grabs (which could be a 'top-tier' at AFC standards). Heck, we had other teams scouting our scrubs during almost our entire training camp length.
The reason we arent trading Boone is because we don't have to ... At all. For what? It would have to be the godfather's offer to convince us to move Boone. This ain't Alex Smith and $8 million against the cap. Boone is holding out so he is on reserve/not reporting so he ain't costing us money nor a roster spot! People understand we just don't have to move him now because we receive nothing to help us now. All we are doing is making someone else better today! It is stupid to consider trading this guy with anything less than Don Corleone calling us. We have no incentive nor any reason to move Boone. The other teams need him way more than we need some dumb useless trade. No trade is getting us closer to the chip in ARI
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I might be willing to trade him for a position of need. The only problem is, we only really need a guard...

we truly need a quality, backup QB
Share 49ersWebzone