LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

"Anybody can play Guard. Guard doesn't matter. You can always find a Guard."

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Words often repeated on the WZ. If you read it you would certainly think that is the case. At least it's the overwhelming view.

Well you certainly did not see Joe Looney out there did you?....... Plus how quickly the 49ers forget Chilo Rachal. One bad Guard can tank your team. Looney often mentioned as an eventual replacement for Iupati if he leaves in FA. "He will play just as good as Iupati." Seen this quote on the WZ. Really. He is filling in for an absent Alex Boone right now. But he is often said to be a replacement at either side if we lose Boone or Iupati in FA.

Obviously Looney is not a replacement for either one of those. He got tossed around like a rag doll. He could not hold the point of attack. There was no running room on his side. Lots of running room on Iupati's side. He's not as good. Guard does matter. It's not as unimportant as made out to be on here. You can't just plug in anybody and get the same results.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Aug 8, 2014 at 7:42 AM ]
You're getting pwned about Looney in the "Alex Boone thread", SD.
Looney is garbage. You need running room and he doesn't provide it. You need to hold the point on pass blocking and not get thrown out of the way. I don't see a starter with Looney. We need Iupati and Boone as our Guards.
I agree with SanDiego. The 49ers need Boone on that line. It's not a plug and play position.
In the long run time will tell but you have to look at the whole picture. Are you sure it was all him and not Kilgore or Martin that made that side of the line look bad? To early to put it all on Looney. Iupati had a rough game as well. Are you ready to get him outta the line up?

Now I do agree with the sentiment that the zone seems to think that this team can lose starters and it won't hurt the team. I've seen posters talking about they will be fine without Bowman and Aldon. The back ups will step up. They do need Boone.
[ Edited by lamontb on Aug 8, 2014 at 8:06 AM ]
Originally posted by facestabber:
I agree with SanDiego. The 49ers need Boone on that line. It's not a plug and play position.

100% correct. It's not that easy to find those guys as we are finding out. It's important to our team much more than most too. Since we run so much. Plus a power running game now with Carlos Hyde.
Originally posted by lamontb:
In the long run time will tell but you have to look at the whole picture. Are you sure it was all him and not Kilgore or Martin that made that side of the line look bad? To early to put it all on Looney. Iupati had a rough game as well. Are you ready to get him outta the line up?

Now I do agree with the sentiment that the zone seems to think that this team can lose starters and it won't hurt the team. I've seen posters talking about they will be fine without Bowman and Aldon. The back ups will step up. They do need Boone.

I agree.

LOL. The WZ is funny sometimes.
There is no Guard thread. This is the Guard thread. There is an Alex Boone thread. He is one person who is currently absent. But he doesn't make up our Guard roster or all discussion Guard related.
Hey lets all freak out over 1 single preseason game!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Hey lets all freak out over 1 single preseason game!!!!!!!!!!

Well he didn't play well in the run or pass game. Looney that is. Everybody thinks he is just fine. Remember "you can always find Guard." If I had a nickle for everytime I say that on the WZ I would be very rich.

• Tman
  • Veteran
f**k alex boone and his holding out punkass
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Aug 8, 2014 at 8:26 AM ]
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
There is no Guard thread. This is the Guard thread. There is an Alex Boone thread. He is one person who is currently absent. But he doesn't make up our Guard roster or all discussion Guard related.

There are already threads dedicated to each guard on our team. Regardless, this isn't some official guard thread. This is a freak out over one preseason game drama queen thread.

I'm saying Boone and Iupati are far superior. This is not a plug and play position as made out to be on the WZ. Some guys are much better than others. Guard is important. Especially to this team. O Line and Defense is how we are built. It's how we win. There is a dropoff of play with Looney.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by lamontb:

I agree.

LOL. The WZ is funny sometimes.
some only read what they want to read.... I am pretty sure a majority of posters have said in the short term 6 games or so, we will be able to make it without smith and bowman due to the established depth we already have at those positions(based on the good play of skuta, lemon man and Michael W from last year)... perhaps it is just selective comprehension but most of us have said, short term we are ok but if we are to make a deep run in the playoffs we need smith and bowman.. in regards to boone, how do you propose you get him? do you cave in thus setting off a chain reaction within the organization, you are basically telling the players that they run the asylum. you cave to boone, you piss off vernon. you people just do not think this stuff through.. and how the hell can you tell looney is garbage by one pre season game? I swear people around here are sooooo quick to proclaim someone should be a starter ahead of frank gore after one game while out of the other side of their mouth they say looney is garbage because of one f**king stupid pre season game.
The interior OL is the most important part of the OL in my opinion. It features 60% of the OL, and pressure up the middle not only more disruptive, it is harder to escape than edge pressure because you have nowhere to step up. Aside from needing Boone back, we need Marcus Martin healthy to provide some depth.
Share 49ersWebzone