LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Hall of Fame LB, Patrick Willis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I really thought willis was gonna come out on fire this season. Im not saying he has played bad but with a young secondary and the front depletedhe really hasnt been a game changer yet. Hope he puts this defense on his back
Originally posted by kray28:
Today that's a 15 yd penalty and an automatic first down.

Ha! More like a game ejection and 2 week suspension.
Originally posted by teylo31:
I really thought willis was gonna come out on fire this season. Im not saying he has played bad but with a young secondary and the front depletedhe really hasnt been a game changer yet. Hope he puts this defense on his back

I don't think that will ever happen in this D. We don't really allow our LBs to roam. When Bowmans play, Pats covering TEs. Now that he's in Bows spot, our D line is crap at stoping the run or keeping Willis clean.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by teylo31:

I don't think that will ever happen in this D. We don't really allow our LBs to roam. When Bowmans play, Pats covering TEs. Now that he's in Bows spot, our D line is crap at stoping the run or keeping Willis clean.

so our D was allowing Willis to play clean before we had Bow? or is age catching up with him?
BUMP

I know he isn't getting much credit, and to be honest the stats aren't there to back him up.
But IMO Willis is quietly having a great season, part of the reason why Bowman is so good is because of the dirty work Willis has been doing and its becoming more visible. (Not to take anything from Bow)

Watching Willis support this defense without Smith and Bow shows how good he really is, and that he still has it.
Really hope we can get this man a ring because he deserves one.
He's the quarterback on defense. he's making plays and making sure that the linebacker core is doing it's job.

its a shame this thread is only 6 pages.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
BUMP

I know he isn't getting much credit, and to be honest the stats aren't there to back him up.
But IMO Willis is quietly having a great season, part of the reason why Bowman is so good is because of the dirty work Willis has been doing and its becoming more visible. (Not to take anything from Bow)

Watching Willis support this defense without Smith and Bow shows how good he really is, and that he still has it.
Really hope we can get this man a ring because he deserves one.

Agreed. .
Strange that this thread is only 6 pages and it's about p52. Just strange
Hell of a hit on Charles yesterday, stopped him in his tracks.
He's still better than Keichly.

I honestly admire Willis' mentality to hold back when Bowman was playing. Not easy when you know you can dominate but you give a little way to the other guy who can also do great things.

Originally posted by Joecool:

I honestly admire Willis' mentality to hold back when Bowman was playing. Not easy when you know you can dominate but you give a little way to the other guy who can also do great things.

they compliment each other perfectly.

Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by Joecool:

they compliment each other perfectly.

I think we've started a tradition of great MLBs, and it started with Willis.
To be honest I didn't think Bowman was going to be this good coming out of college, thought he would be a ok player doing well in a great system (AKA Richard Sherman)
He has proved me wrong.
It all started with Bo, you can see how Willis took him under his wing and taught him the game and how to play the position. Lets hope the next ILB we draft is supported by Bow the same way Willis did to him.

I wouldn't mind making Willis our LB coach when he decides to retire.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
I think Willis is playing great. He's the absolute lynch pin of the defense, he's playing technically perfect assignment football and it's why our defense is doing so well. Bow and Aldon are great and they add the big plays but they also sometimes miss an assignment which is something I never see PWillis do.

He's doing the unspectacular but highly technical role and marshalling the defense well.
This guy's amazing. One of my favorite players of all time. OF ALL TIME!
Share 49ersWebzone