LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

Williams, Bowman and now, Sherman Rule

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I'm not sure how the "Sherman points " differ from what is currently in effect.

Eh?
Nice to see the NFL officials are starting to realize that the Seahawks won by exploiting the system.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
INT

3-10-SF 10 (8:54) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass short middle to 15-J.Kearse to SF 1 for 9 yards (53-N.Bowman). FUMBLES (53-N.Bowman), recovered by SEA-24-M.Lynch at SF 1. 24-M.Lynch to SF 1 for no gain (35-E.Reid). SF-53-N.Bowman was injured during the play.

4-1-SF 1 (8:29) 3-R.Wilson FUMBLES (Aborted) at SF 4, touched at SF 12, recovered by SEA-26-M.Robinson at SF 15. 26-M.Robinson to SF 15 for no gain (26-T.Brock). San Francisco 49ers at 08:18

1-10-SF 15 (8:18) (Shotgun) 32-K.Hunter right tackle to SF 26 for 11 yards (31-K.Chancellor).

1-10-SF 26 (7:44) 7-C.Kaepernick pass short left intended for 81-A.Boldin INTERCEPTED by 31-K.Chancellor at SF 40. 31-K.Chancellor to SF 40 for no gain (81-A.Boldin).

Ah. I must have blocked it from recollection.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
......in short, Seattle will not be a Super Bowl repeat.

I know right....
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand Seadderal DBs get away with considerably more illegal contact/holding because of their taller, longer body types which helps disguise it much better than smaller DBs.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Ah. I must have blocked it from recollection.

i did too. I don't remember much after the Bowman injury other than the final INT.
ptsd. post traumatic seattle disorder.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Eh?
Eh?

How will the guidance officials are given change how things are currently called? Does anyone know, specifically?
Seattle and Dick Sherm are under the microscope. Pete the Cheat will need to find a new way to "bend" the rules.
  • thl408
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand Seadderal DBs get away with considerably more illegal contact/holding because of their taller, longer body types which helps disguise it much better than smaller DBs.

Their body type definitely helps them slow down WRs in press coverage. They can use their lanky arms and strength to reach and grab within the 5 yard zone where contact is allowed. They don't grab just to slow the WR down. They grab to slow the WR down and to get body to body with the WR. With their larger than average frame, it works effectively. Some of it has to do with disguise, but a lot of it has to do with how when a large body is up against the WR, the WR has a harder time fighting it off than if a small CB was body to body.

Eh?
Eh?

How will the guidance officials are given change how things are currently called? Does anyone know, specifically?

Gotcha! The rule is and has been established...the difference is that it will be enforced now (in theory) with an emphasis starting in TC when officials ref during team practices and educate the coaches and players on the rule changes and emphasis this year (this being #1). The last time this rule was really enforced the number of penalties jumped from roughly 80 to 200 that season. This forced many teams to back off some AFTER the 5 yards and play more within the rules. IF this trend holds true and the NFL gets back to a pass happy league clearly favoring the WR's, this is fine for us b/c we already play within those rules and typically play mostly nickle and off-coverage and we've drafted smaller "coverage" guys like Ward to fit within these rules. But teams that rely on not only bending those rules but flat out BREAKING those rules will now be constantly penalized and this off season, may force teams like Seattle to play less press coverage and much more nickle and off coverage which clearly, is not their strength.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 21, 2014 at 10:14 AM ]
Ok.this wont help them. But theyve got bigger problems that will bring them down. Offense could be pitiful if nritt does not come through and okung not himself.
Britt
Ok.this wont help them. But theyve got bigger problems that will bring them down. Offense could be pitiful if nritt does not come through and okung not himself.

Agreed. It would be like asking Brown and Rogers to suddenly play mostly press coverage all of a sudden; not exactly a strength for either.
Even Pete Carroll is happy the WIlliams rule is in effect. He stated repeatedly last year that he would be fully compliant if such a proposal was enacted. I don't think anyone liked the technique although smaller lines use it, including seattle.

The bowman rule is smart and good. But it would have wound up hurting us if we had been rightfully awarded possession at the 1 foot line against Seattle d as opposed to what unfolded. Sorry, but that's the truth. Instead, I am convinced that the call was so egregious that seattle deliberately gave us the ball the next play in a near touch back position. Otherwise the entire game itself would have gone down as the most rigged in super bowl history. As it is, the call is a strong candidate for worst, most impactful call in SB history. The officiating crew appeared simply inept.

I'm not sure how the "Sherman points " differ from what is currently in effect.

lol wut? I find that highly, HIGHLY unlikely. Seattle was lucky that ball wasn't scooped up and ran back 99 yards the other way. Even if it was done purposely, had the 49ers won the game then Wilson goes down as one of the biggest choke artists in NFL history. I doubt he'd be cool with putting his reputation on the line. That would be the single most pathetic turnover to lose a game since Tony Romo's botched FG snap.

I'm sorry, but NFL teams do not compromise their ability to win. It's not their job to correct the officials mistake. They play to win and work way too hard to get to that point. They take any advantage they can get. We didn't give the ball back to Green Bay in '98 after Rice clearly fumbled it away. The Packers win the game if the refs get it right, and you know what, tough luck.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 21, 2014 at 4:29 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone