Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by lazy:
Crabtree
Boldin
Johnson
Lloyd
Patton
Ellington

If no Osgood, who's replacing his production in ST?

Newly resigned Blake Costanzo.
Originally posted by Ninerz4Life:
At this point I think Lloyd has a better chance to make the roster than Stevie. Stevie already pulled a hamstring. The guy hasn't been healthy in 3 years. Nice thought by Baalke not a bad idea but it's never a good sign when a WR goes down with a hamstring in OTAs and it's the same leg that has bothered him the last 2 years. Colin needs WRs to practice with not just suit up on game days. IMO if Lloyd is healthy and Johnson isn't you keep Lloyd and cut Stevie. They got the 4th rd pick they traded for him back anyway.

He hasn't been healthy in 3 years? Damn he is even better than I though then. In the last 3 years he has 2,600 yards. That will do nicely. 3 one thousand years seasons in the last 4 years and he wasn't healthy.
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Crabtree
Boldin
Johnson
Lloyd
Patton
Ellington

lol no.

Those two players are nothing alike.

I would say McCray or Dontae Johnson (for now)
[ Edited by JimHarbaugh on Jul 21, 2014 at 2:19 PM ]
IMO, the guy who is going to have the hardest time making the final roster unless there are injuries is Lloyd. I'm not sure why anyone around here thinks Lloyd should be on the roster rather than SJ, Patton or Ellington. He's always good for some sensational circus catches, but he won't block and if you blow on him he goes down. Patton has already shown himself to be clutch when healthy. Plus, most people don't seem to get this, but Patton is wicked quick. His 20-yard shuttle time at the combine was basically the same as Tavon Austin. And Ellington may not have taken a snap yet, but at this point, he's a lock because they need to find out what they have in him.
Originally posted by crake49:
IMO, the guy who is going to have the hardest time making the final roster unless there are injuries is Lloyd. I'm not sure why anyone around here thinks Lloyd should be on the roster rather than SJ, Patton or Ellington. He's always good for some sensational circus catches, but he won't block and if you blow on him he goes down. Patton has already shown himself to be clutch when healthy. Plus, most people don't seem to get this, but Patton is wicked quick. His 20-yard shuttle time at the combine was basically the same as Tavon Austin. And Ellington may not have taken a snap yet, but at this point, he's a lock because they need to find out what they have in him.

Who is saying that we should take Lloyd over Ellington, Patton or SJ??
Originally posted by crake49:

Not that this should be required, but here's the comparison.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnSt00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LloyBr00.htm

Anyway, Lloyd isn't in competition with Johnson. Lloyd's in a competition for the 52nd or 53rd roster spot with Osgood and other special teams players.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Crabtree
Boldin
Johnson
Lloyd
Patton
Ellington

lol no.

Those two players are nothing alike.

I would say McCray or Dontae Johnson (for now)

I think they will keep Lloyd in case of injury. He is an effective WR, assuming his brief layoff didn't strip too much away. Question is, how will he feel about being inactive for games until such injury occurs. I think they will want Patton and Ellington for game days.
The potential problem I see with Lloyd is that he likes to be a featured guy and how is he going to act with extremely limited opportunities. Maybe he's a much more mature person these days, but there must be a reason the Patriots didn't re-sign him even though he offered them a discount.
You guys are putting a lot of stock in Stevie Johnson. I hope your right I hope he is a difference maker but I just don't see it. He played well against Seattle in a blowout. Can anyone tell me his stats when the game still mattered? Seriously I want to know. Say what you want I had the guy on my fantasy team he hasn't been healthy in 3 years. He's got hamstring problems and last year couldn't stay on the field. He needs practice time with Colin. I'm banking on Crabtree being back to 2012 form an improved running game and Ellington adding some speed or at least quickness in the slot.
You guys are putting a lot of stock in Stevie Johnson. I hope your right I hope he is a difference maker but I just don't see it. He played well against Seattle in a blowout. Can anyone tell me his stats when the game still mattered? Seriously I want to know. Say what you want I had the guy on my fantasy team he hasn't been healthy in 3 years. He's got hamstring problems and last year couldn't stay on the field. He needs practice time with Colin. I'm banking on Crabtree being back to 2012 form an improved running game and Ellington adding some speed or at least quickness in the slot.

He was buffalo's #1. He's our #3. There's a big difference in that.

• thl408

I don't know what his stats are when the game was 'in the balance', but most of his explosive catches came during a part of the game I would consider within reach, game clock considering. He found soft areas in zone as well as shake and bake Dick to earn a clean release versus press. He has his own thread in this forum. I agree his hamstring issues are concerning. Hope it stays loose.

He is a big upgrade over a rookie Patton. No one can say right now how Patton will play this season, so having a known commodity like SJ will be a difference maker. He most likely will not duplicate his production in BUF due to competing for targets with Crabs/Boldin. Still, just having him line up all over the place with the other WRs creates a lot of flexibility to find mismatches.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jul 21, 2014 at 10:10 PM ]
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:

I don't know what his stats are when the game was 'in the balance', but most of his explosive catches came during a part of the game I would consider within reach, game clock considering. He found soft areas in zone as well as shake and bake Dick to earn a clean release versus press. He has his own thread in this forum. I agree his hamstring issues are concerning. Hope it stays loose.

He is a big upgrade over a rookie Patton. No one can say right now how Patton will play this season, so having a known commodity like SJ will be a difference maker. He most likely will not duplicate his production in BUF due to competing for targets with Crabs/Boldin. Still, just having him line up all over the place with the other WRs creates a lot of flexibility to find mismatches.

And he played well against Revis. At this point he's simply a HUGE upgrade and if we use more 3 WR sets he'll have a big impact. Especially against teams with good secondaries. It's "Operation Beat Seattle" in 2014 and SJ will contribute. Bank on it. Even if he doesn't get the ball he'll open up other receivers.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Lloyd got the freshest legs out of all of them, he didn't forget how to run routes or forget how to catch. He may have lost a step from his early days, but I highly doubt he lost a step from his play of 2012.

He might not play for us this season because of numbers, plus Patton/Ellington could be all we need to go with Boldin, Crab and SJ. Nonetheless, he'll be playing in 2014. The minute we let him go, a (WR hungry) team will scoop him up with the quickness, that will happen faster than Michael Sam, Aaron Rodgers and Chris Bosh hooking up on the down low... believe me, that won't take long!!
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

Crab
Boldin
Stevie
Patton
Lloyd
Ellington
Osgood

But osgood is purely ST. Doesn't fully count imo. I think Lloyd's performance in camp forces the staffs hand to keep him

I second this and Lloyd will become a serious red zone threat.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Lloyd isn't in competition with Johnson. Lloyd's in a competition for the 52nd or 53rd roster spot with Osgood and other special teams players.

He is in competition for the GAMEDAY 46. If he's not there he gets cut. Same for Osgood.The Inactive Seven are usually developmental types too good to be risked in the PS (or ineligible). Or players recovering from in-season injury.

The only way Lloyd sticks is through a TC injury (touch wood) or if one of the two youngsters or Johnson underperforms terribly. To go back to the OP, I see us play our usual "Crab/Boldin with Vernon for speed" game, with Johnson in to spell the top 2 receivers, and in the extremely rare case we ever play with 3 WR (and don't just keep it on a draw like we do 99% of the time) the non-inactive youngster streaks (and never gets thrown the ball as Crabtree is only double covered and Kaep is just SURE he can squeeze it in to him)
Share 49ersWebzone