Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I don't see 6. I see us carrying 5:

Anquan Boldin
Michael Crabtree
Stevie Johnson
Quinton Patton
Bruce Ellington

In that order. I don't bother to list Osgood because he won't see the field as a WR. But if we keep 6 I'd have to put Lloyd in there.

Sorry, don't see it. Doesn't mean it won't happen. But will we take 4 TEs? An Extra lineman? FB? Where do we need this extra player?
If your are speaking of a 6th WR I agree.

I could see us needing the space for LB or DL. If Lynch balls out and we don't want to cut Skuta, we need an extra spot. If Okoye flashes enough in preseason games to land on another 53 (long shot, I know), we need an extra spot.
I really would love for us to keep Brandon Lloyd. I want us to, but I'm realistic enough to know that its a huge long shot. The only reason I can see us keeping him is if he outperforms one of our top 3 guys. He can be depth in the event of injury, but if he isn't top 3, he's only hindering the development of Patton and Ellington. So many tough decisions to be made.
A lot of variables will determine how many WRs are kept, and which ones:

• Special Teams needs: Affects Osgood's status, and final WR count;
  • TE/blocking situation: If Carrier makes the 53 -- either because his blocking improves to match Celek's, or one of the DL is used in the blocking role -- it lessens the need for more than 5 WRs.
  • How many RBs are retained: If the Niners keep LMJ on the squad as the primary return man and backup RB, it could mean one less WR.
  • Plan for the offense: If the power running game continues to be featured (Pistol or not), RBs become more important than WRs. If there will be more 3 WR sets, a 6th WR may make the squad.
  • Injuries: What happens in TC and preseason could affect who makes the squad, regardless of 5 or 6 WRs.
  • Development: If the Niners want to develop the heirs apparent to Boldin and Crabtree, they're more likely to focus on younger players than veterans.
  • Waiver wire: It's possible a player the Niners preferred but couldn't draft, or a veteran player who fits a specific need, is cut by another team.

At this point, it looks like Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, and Ellington are all but assured of spots. *If* a sixth WR is kept (a big if, IMHO), it'll be between Osgood, Lloyd, and Baldwin...but it's quite possible -- perhaps likely -- none of them end up on the final roster.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Jul 20, 2014 at 9:39 AM ]
^^ instead of Smith, I think you meant Johnson...

And I highly doubt we sign a player off waivers; we'll be low on waiver priority and I really doubt there's a player out there that will be cut by another team that could be out anyone we're considering for our 53.
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Jul 20, 2014 at 9:12 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

And I highly doubt we sign a player off waivers; we'll be low on waiver priority and I really doubt there's a player out there that will be cut by another team that could be out anyone we're considering for our 53.

I doubt it too, but stranger things have happened. If the squad gets decimated by early injuries, it could play out a lot of ways.

Yes, I meant Johnson. I should never post before metabolizing coffee...or after a pitcher of margaritas...

Speaking of Johnson, Grant Cohn touches on him in his latest blog, where he points out (accurately) that Johnson's skill set is basically the same as Crabtree's and Boldin's: he's a good route-running possession receiver who doesn't have blazing speed. When the Niners acquired him, I didn't see him as the #3 slot receiver, but as the guy who would spell Crabtree and Boldin, and step in if there's an injury. It always seemed to me that the Niners would rather have Ellington or Patton in the slot than Johnson. I'm guessing he sees plenty of snaps during the season, just not while both the starting outside receivers are in the game.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Jul 20, 2014 at 9:52 AM ]
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
In my opinion it would be ideal situation if Lloyd did not make the roster because to me that would signal that the organization is pleased with the development of 2nd year WR Patton and the progress of rookie Ellington. I believe that both of those players could presumably do the same things that Lloyd does but with higher upsides. Now this isn't a perfect world and with injuries and setbacks there is a strong possibility that we won't get an apples to apples comparison for those fringe receiver spots. I'm just hoping stays healthy and the best 5-6 make the final squad.
I've said this multiple times this offseason.

The 49ers will probably release Lloyd in the final round of cuts. They will do this because it is very likely that no other team will pick him up this season, for various reasons.

Then they can keep Lloyd's digits taped to the fridge this fall in case something goes wrong.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:

I doubt it too, but stranger things have happened. If the squad gets decimated by early injuries, it could play out a lot of ways.

Yes, I meant Johnson. I should never post before metabolizing coffee...or after a pitcher of margaritas...

Speaking of Johnson, Grant Cohn touches on him in his latest blog, where he points out (accurately) that Johnson's skill set is basically the same as Crabtree's and Boldin's: he's a good route-running possession receiver who doesn't have blazing speed. When the Niners acquired him, I didn't see him as the #3 slot receiver, but as the guy who would spell Crabtree and Boldin, and step in if there's an injury. It always seemed to me that the Niners would rather have Ellington or Patton in the slot than Johnson. I'm guessing he sees plenty of snaps during the season, just not while both the starting outside receivers are in the game.

Whether that's true or not, I put ZERO stock into anything Grant Cohn says. He is absolutely clueless and it's beyond me how he is a professional sportswriter..or writer in general.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Whether that's true or not, I put ZERO stock into anything Grant Cohn says. He is absolutely clueless and it's beyond me how he is a professional sportswriter..or writer in general.

I don't want to take this topic off course too much, but in the article I referenced, do you disagree that these are valid questions about the team:

• Will Carlos Hyde make a significant difference this year (if you agree that Gore is not the RB he used to be)?
  • Will George Whitfield improve Kaepernick's game (especially in the pocket)?
  • Will the Niners make the right decisions if Vernon Davis continues to hold out?
  • Will the Niners have a CB or two that can cover (in addition to Brock, who is still relatively untested)?
  • Will Stevie Johnson have much of an impact in improving the passing attack?

"ZERO stock" is pretty strong. I sometimes agree and disagree on what Grant Cohn writes. Nobody is infallible, or has a 100% track record on predictions...but I'd say he raises valid questions about the upcoming season.
It would be nice to actually have a receiving core that isn't decimated by injuries. It will be tough to decide between Lloyd and Osgood. I would keep Lloyd and have one of our outstanding rookies take Osgood's place on ST.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

I totally agree!!

I don't want to take this topic off course too much, but in the article I referenced, do you disagree that these are valid questions about the team:

• Will Carlos Hyde make a significant difference this year (if you agree that Gore is not the RB he used to be)?
  • Will the Niners make the right decisions if Vernon Davis continues to hold out?
  • Will the Niners have a CB or two that can cover (in addition to Brock, who is still relatively untested)?

"ZERO stock" is pretty strong. I sometimes agree and disagree on what Grant Cohn writes. Nobody is infallible, or has a 100% track record on predictions...but I'd say he raises valid questions about the upcoming season.

Nah, I stand by my zero stock mark. The guy doesn't know sh*t and it is very clear. I've read enough of his "writing" (I have stopped now) to know he doesn't have the foggiest idea what he is talking about. Some of The observations you mentioned above are certainly valid, but he is certainly not going out on a limb raising these questions. In fact I'd say there are more pertinent questions that should be raised.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Nah, I stand by my zero stock mark. The guy doesn't know sh*t and it is very clear. I've read enough of his "writing" (I have stopped now) to know he doesn't have the foggiest idea what he is talking about. Some of The observations you mentioned above are certainly valid, but he is certainly not going out on a limb raising these questions. In fact I'd say there are more pertinent questions that should be raised.

I don't think the guy is a 49er fan. I think all he wants to do is sell newspapers and advertising to make a living. I don't think he particularly likes what he does. I get the feeling that he's shoveling horse manure because that's all he knows what to do, and he hates what he does, so he isn't particularly good at horse manure shoveling in the first place.
Originally posted by Giedi:

I don't think the guy is a 49er fan. I think all he wants to do is sell newspapers and advertising to make a living. I don't think he particularly likes what he does. I get the feeling that he's shoveling horse manure because that's all he knows what to do, and he hates what he does, so he isn't particularly good at horse manure shoveling in the first place.

Agreed. And I'm thinking the only reason he has this job is due to his old man, who another piece of work..but at least he has a writing style and a track record. His son doesn't know squat and his writing is piss poor. Lol. Not a great combo in journalism. At least if you write well and are a good bullsh*ter, you can cover up for your lack of knowledge.

This.
Share 49ersWebzone