LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

How long will Alex Boone's holdout last?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How long will Alex Boone's holdout last?

Lol at Staley being signed first. Just goes to show. Play out your contract and don't complain, you'll get a good return
Staley extended until 2019
I think Staley HAS to play or retire. If he holds out, after I believe week 6 or 8, 2014 would not count for a year under his contract, so they niners would own an additional year.

He has to play out his contract, or he cannot become a FA.

Boone has zero leverage.
The filthy Seacawks just won a SB with a patch work line. Maybe front office is thinking we can to?
Originally posted by 9erred:
I think Staley HAS to play or retire. If he holds out, after I believe week 6 or 8, 2014 would not count for a year under his contract, so they niners would own an additional year.

Boone has zero leverage.

I meant Boone my mind was on Staley because I am so Jazzed he extended for 2 years.

Boone has zero leverage.

I meant Boone my mind was on Staley because I am so Jazzed he extended for 2 years.

Agreed, I like Staley and am glad our two tackles are locked in long term. I also love the message that the FO sends with this extension. You show up, work hard and we will take care of you. Now let's see if Boone shows up for work. Hopefully he comes to his senses.
Boone will show up on time unless he and/or his agent is an idiot!
Like most I'm really hoping he's in camp.

BUT I'm feeling he won't be. Whoever is advising him isn't paying attention on how the Niner FO operates.

Staley's new deal should at least be an eye-opener for Boone on what he could expect by getting down to business sooner than later.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Like most I'm really hoping he's in camp.

BUT I'm feeling he won't be. Whoever is advising him isn't paying attention on how the Niner FO operates.

Staley's new deal should at least be an eye-opener for Boone on what he could expect by getting down to business sooner than later.

Then he will fire his agent after he does not show

I think he does want traded, to a team that will put him at tackle, which will give him a hefty raise. He's a natural tackle, and has proven that. This team can't afford to have three starting caliber tackles. I am wondering if giving Staley an extension is also a message to Boone, ie we are set at tackle. If I were to bet, I'd put my money on the idea that he's playing hardball because he knows he will never get a starting tackle job here and he's ready to step into a role with more opportunity and satisfaction. If he really doesn't want to stay here and be a well paid guard, I say shop him for the highest pick you can get and let him go. The harder thing might be to find a suitable back up tackle than to replace him at right guard.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by barrymartin:
I think he does want traded, to a team that will put him at tackle, which will give him a hefty raise. He's a natural tackle, and has proven that. This team can't afford to have three starting caliber tackles. I am wondering if giving Staley an extension is also a message to Boone, ie we are set at tackle. If I were to bet, I'd put my money on the idea that he's playing hardball because he knows he will never get a starting tackle job here and he's ready to step into a role with more opportunity and satisfaction. If he really doesn't want to stay here and be a well paid guard, I say shop him for the highest pick you can get and let him go. The harder thing might be to find a suitable back up tackle than to replace him at right guard.
I agree. Kilgore, Loony and the two Martins can sub in for Boone. I'm sure they will go through some struggles, if Boone is traded and they play in his spot. He was an UDFA so any draft pick we get for him is a plus. I'd rather he play for us but I think you are right- if he plays left tackle he is going to get a ton more money and that may be his strategy - to get traded to a team needing a left tackle.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
The filthy Seacawks just won a SB with a patch work line. Maybe front office is thinking we can to?

Unless we plan on finding 3 of the top DB's in the NFL to start, theres no way we can ignore the OL.

Jim Harbaugh's entire philosophy centers around a tough, physical OL and run game. Seattle winning a SB with that garbage offense (besides Lynch) was a direct result of having a historically good D.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Boone will show up on time unless he and/or his agent is an idiot!

He doesnt exactly strike me as a thinking man.

More of a corn-fed Marine recruit.
Boone cannot be adequately replaced by anyone on our roster. He is playing for udfa peanuts. I think there is middle ground.
Share 49ersWebzone