There are 154 users in the forums

Greg Roman loves him some Gabbert

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ethan:
Gabbert is really underrated as an athlete because he stays in the pocket, but he won the majority of the combine tests between the three of them. Also his arm strength is at least as good, but he doesn't wind up to throw, he snaps it from behind his ear.

Josh threw 2 TD's no interceptions was 9 of 14 completions no sacks and the last TD was a 50 yarder in his last game for us in pre season. If Gabbert can consistently do that in pre season, he'll beat out Josh for sure.
Blond hair blue eyed qbs are all the same.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Josh threw 2 TD's no interceptions was 9 of 14 completions no sacks and the last TD was a 50 yarder in his last game for us in pre season. If Gabbert can consistently do that in pre season, he'll beat out Josh for sure.

Gabbert has over five times as many NFL starts even though he is four years younger. Also better career passer rating in the league. Johnson would have to be lights out to finish ahead of him on the depth chart. Greg Roman says they've streamlined the playbook a lot this season, so I don't know that Josh's previous experience would be that much of a factor.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Blond hair blue eyed qbs are all the same.

. Gabbert beat Kaepernick in four of the six combine tests not including the Wonderlic.Same size, and Gabbert's size is natural. He came out of high school at 226 pounds, Kaepernick was 172 pounds.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Gabbert is really underrated as an athlete because he stays in the pocket, but he won the majority of the combine tests between the three of them. Also his arm strength is at least as good, but he doesn't wind up to throw, he snaps it from behind his ear.

Gabbert can sit out all preseason and still make the team...that's how much gabbert means to this team good or bad
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Preseason MVP. I'm calling it right now.

It will be either him or Marcus Lattimore. Usually our 4th string RB tears up the preseason every year.
. Gabbert beat Kaepernick in four of the six combine tests not including the Wonderlic.Same size, and Gabbert's size is natural. He came out of high school at 226 pounds, Kaepernick was 172 pounds.

Specious argument. People get their growth spurts at all different ages. I am not sure what you are saying here ... that Kaep is juiced? Or is it that Gabbert is naturally gifted enough he should be able to compete for numero uno? I think one is as unlikely as the other.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Specious argument. People get their growth spurts at all different ages. I am not sure what you are saying here ... that Kaep is juiced? Or is it that Gabbert is naturally gifted enough he should be able to compete for numero uno? I think one is as unlikely as the other.

Could be opposite..gab had to get juiced to get recognized
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I actually thought Norv Turner got good production out of Alex in the lone year he was with us

Alex was 2-0 and then Rocky Bernard took two years off his career. I felt Alex was turning the corner. With a serious shoulder injury the 49er staff had him lifting the first week, could never understand that, after going through a shoulder injury myself the last thing I wanted to do was lift. Nolan saw he was going under and put Alex under the bus, which seemed petty. Nolan's entire 49er tenure can be summed up with his passion for wearing a suit on the sidelines.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I actually thought Norv Turner got good production out of Alex in the lone year he was with us

Alex was 2-0 and then Rocky Bernard took two years off his career. I felt Alex was turning the corner. With a serious shoulder injury the 49er staff had him lifting the first week, could never understand that, after going through a shoulder injury myself the last thing I wanted to do was lift. Nolan saw he was going under and put Alex under the bus, which seemed petty. Nolan's entire 49er tenure can be summed up with his passion for wearing a suit on the sidelines.
Nolan Tenure was getting rid of the garbage and start from ground zero..which he made a pretty good base

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Nolan Tenure was getting rid of the garbage and start from ground zero..which he made a pretty good base

From a talent evaluation standpoint he was very good but as a leader he was severely lacking. I will never forget how he called out players publicly, or threw them under the bus. That's bad business.
Originally posted by swayze:

From a talent evaluation standpoint he was very good but as a leader he was severely lacking. I will never forget how he called out players publicly, or threw them under the bus. That's bad business.
he had an eye for players, just not experience to make all of it work
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Gabbert can sit out all preseason and still make the team...that's how much gabbert means to this team good or bad

I think Josh has as good a chance of making the team as any of the other QB's. Otherwise why would they waste time, money, and roster space on a guy with no chance.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Gabbert has over five times as many NFL starts even though he is four years younger. Also better career passer rating in the league. Johnson would have to be lights out to finish ahead of him on the depth chart. Greg Roman says they've streamlined the playbook a lot this season, so I don't know that Josh's previous experience would be that much of a factor.

I think all 4 QB'S have the talent to make the team. And we certainly have our favorites and pull for them. Gabbert may indeed be the guy, but from my perspective he has to play well in order to win my vote because I've never seen him play. I think Josh can operate this offense, he's done well in the past in it, and I think if he has continued to develop and progress he will be hard to beat even by Blaine.

Only problem he knew zero about offensive football. If Turner had stayed he could have been successful.
Share 49ersWebzone