What if Kaep gets hurt and Gabbert throws 300 yards and 4 TDs
Originally posted by TheGoldMineSF:

we end up getting 2x 2nd round picks
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ethan:
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
Gabbert is gonna be just fine. He was a true spread QB coming out of Missouri and really needed to sit for a year but like so many other QBs getting drafted by a putrid franchise and then getting thrown to the wolves with absolutely no help set him back. He has all the tools to be a really good QB an I think he will be. Blaine will only be here one season at the most 2. You can see the natural talent he has.

Yeah, I'm sure Gabbert sees himself as a starter, and he is only 24. Last year of his rookie deal, so he probably moves to a team looking for a starter next season. Great QB insurance for just a 6th round pick, though, and his presence probably made Kaepernick a bit more anxious to sign his contract. Gabbert was much higher rated coming out, and beat Kap soundly the only time they met in college. Plus he's a couple years younger and has more starts.

If Blaine is smart, he needs to sign a 3 year contract extension, learn more from Harbaugh and trust that the organization will trade him to a good franchise with a good OC and HC that will have him start and win games like Alex. If Harbaugh can develop this guy like a Rich Gannon, or Alex Smith, we will get those extra picks we've been hungering for!
Fabbert for Gabbert!

We find out the truth in the whole Smith/Kaep "hot hand" situation. Either Gabbert would get to keep starting as long as he was doing good (ala Kaep) and Kaep would be traded (ala Smith) or Kaep would be handed back the starting job once healthy (most likely to happen, hes Jim's QB and everyone knows thats why Smith was kept on the bench once healthy, you dont lose a job when you have completed 22 of your last 25 passes lol)
[ Edited by jeremy300 on Jun 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM ]
  • ethan
  • Veteran

Kap's injury might "linger" a bit in that case.
  • thl408
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Kap should get more than two 2nd rounders.

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Kap should get more than two 2nd rounders.

• ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
If Blaine is smart, he needs to sign a 3 year contract extension, learn more from Harbaugh and trust that the organization will trade him to a good franchise with a good OC and HC that will have him start and win games like Alex. If Harbaugh can develop this guy like a Rich Gannon, or Alex Smith, we will get those extra picks we've been hungering for!

He will go where the money is, since that is where his best chance of starting is. Gabbert has had five different position coaches, and five different head coaches already in his career. Has officially been in the NFL for less than three years. I don't think he's looking to "learn", he's looking to play.
Preseason MVP. I'm calling it right now.

• ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Preseason MVP. I'm calling it right now.

Gabbert always does well in camp. He beat out David Garrard as a rookie in 2011 with only a month to learn the system. Jags cut Garrard just before start of regular season. Next year they brought in Henne who was a three year starter in Miami. It wasn't close. Gabbert got hurt and missed the last half of 2012, and the team changed coaching staff and manager in off season. So he had to compete with Henne again. Missed most of the off season and pre season with a broken thumb and other injuries and still beat out Henne again. Then he suffered a serious cut on his throwing hand in the first or second game and was out again. Came back for a game and pulled a hamstring. By the time he was healthy again the Jags were 0-8 so they let Henne finish out the season and decided to try their luck in the draft again.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
DID I NOT TELL YOU THIS?!

BLAINE GABBERT
I'm really optimistic about Gabbert. Hopefully we can find a way to get some value for him if he plays well, but it looks like he'll probably just leave in FA.
[ Edited by LZRD_WZRD on Jun 21, 2014 at 8:35 AM ]
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
I'm really optimistic about Gabbert. Hopefully we can find a way to get some value for him if he plays well, but it looks like he'll probably just leave in FA.

Value is he's the backup QB. If Kaepernick gets hurt, or busted, or has a couple games like he did at the start of last season. That is why they traded for him, he was the best available. They probably could have picked up a dozen former starters for nothing, and another half dozen for less than they gave up for Gabbert.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ethan:
He will go where the money is, since that is where his best chance of starting is. Gabbert has had five different position coaches, and five different head coaches already in his career. Has officially been in the NFL for less than three years. I don't think he's looking to "learn", he's looking to play.

Yeah, but if he doesn't improve and really learn the position from a great QB teacher like Harbaugh, he'll be out of the league in a year or two. Whereas if he gives himself time to develop - say another 3 years here as a backup - he could conceivably play till his mid to late 30 ' s just like steve deburg. that would make more economic sense in my opinion.
Share 49ersWebzone