LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

What if Vernon Davis refuses to play under the terms of his current contract?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I hear Jacksonville needs a tight end....
  • Disp
  • Veteran
We will move Boldin to TE and Kaep to WR. Gore can kill in for Boone on the line too since we have like 10 RB's now.
[ Edited by Disp on Jun 16, 2014 at 8:24 PM ]
We add a ton of being unpaid salary that will be rolled over into next year. I am sure Crabtree will take that cash. In addition VD will still be under contract to us in 2015 and 2016. 2017 as well after we franchise him. He has NO leverage! He will be here in time for camp or when the games start.
Originally posted by buck:
oh, yeah we need a new thread to talk about Vernon and his holdout.

Originally posted by Disp:
We will move Boldin to TE and Kaep to WR. Gore can kill in for Boone on the line too since we have like 10 RB's now.

Move Vernon to safety
No worries whatsoever. In the worse case scenario where he doesn't show up and attempts to sit out the season, we get him for an extra year (2016) and could conceivably run more three receiver sets which would be great for all involved (minus Vernon Davis). It also would accelerate the development of Vance McDonald.
I say 49ers fans boycott his Jamba Juice stores until he gets back into camp (we don't go to his art gallery already).
Is there a legal way to force him to play? If there is, would we want a player being forced to play to be on the team?
Hoping so much there is no extensions and no paying..total BS>>VD. His brand, boowhaaa..
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Is there a legal way to force him to play? If there is, would we want a player being forced to play to be on the team?

Him withholding services will lead to us withholding pay. Because of this he will report for week 1 action. Most likely during training camp

• kray28
  • Veteran
He has no leverage, he's getting bad advice from whomever is telling him that this will work.
What I don't understand is why the hell is the greedy b*****d holding out with 2 years left on his contract?? He already admitted it's all about the money but he forfeits 200k for not attending mini camp.
[ Edited by dave1003 on Jun 16, 2014 at 10:10 PM ]
With the new CBA it adds a year to the end of his contract if he sits out
Originally posted by dave1003:
What I don't understand is why the hell is the greedy b*****d holding out with 2 years left on his contract?? He already admitted it's all about the money but he forfeits 200k for not attending mini camp.

VD and a few others have sold stock in themselves as players. This is a very risky business, as someone might have purchased his future, thus meaning he has already been paid, and he needs a raise otherwise his salary goes towards that individual. It is crazy people invest in future contracts of sports players, but I guess there is money to be made.
He's the third highest paid tightened in the NFL. When you need that 4 or 5 yards on 3rd down, he is not the go to guy that Witten, Gronk or Gonzalez are. He's back to thinking only about himself. He didn't show anything the first couple of years and still got paid well. Singletary was right - "Can't win with them."
Share 49ersWebzone