LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 240 users in the forums

The new pass rush.. are you a believer?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I see huge potential with the new guys coming in this year and guys returning from injury. Carradine and Lynch both have huge ceilings. Add that to the mix of the Smith's, Ian,Dial, Dorsey,Lemonaire ,Brooks,and perhaps Okoye and I think we have reason to be excited . Seems like a whole lot of depth. We will be able to sub to keep guys fresh and find favorable matchups vs any team we face..really think one of these guys will break out big.
A lot of unknown but def reason to be optimistic. Lynch is a big wild card. I read about some concerns about his weight fluctuating. Is he at 260 or 240 now? Seems like 240 is too light for a LB, no?

Wonder how Okoye has progressed as well...
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
It's hard to speculate right now as the season hasn't started, but yes the pass rush looks like it could be immense.

I think Aldon, Justin, Williams, Tank and Lemonier/Lynch could be something scary.
  • thl408
I want to see Ian Williams back at 100%. I thought he was going to provide a unique element to the DL, interior push. Dorsey played well, but more so as a run stopper. Although, I did not notice Williams much in the GB game (week 1). Very excited about Tank, a healthy RayMac, a bulked up Lemon, and hopefully a dedicated Aldon. Depth is only good if the rotation is consistent throughout the game.
Last year, Lemonier graded highly on pressure but only got the one sack. Some guys get close but don't have that magic that puts up the big sack numbers. Aldon strikes like a mongoose from great distances, that's one reason he gets so many sacks. So Corey's a big question mark.

Dorsey has never been known for sacks; Dial likely never will be.

Rookies rarely get big sack numbers; even guys like Robert Quinn had quiet rookie seasons, so Carradine and Lynch (if he makes the squad) are not likely to have significant production.

Aldon's gonna miss a few weeks, maybe a lot of weeks. Maybe a lot more weeks if he messes up again.

Skuta came through with a couple of sacks in the post season, he's a wildcard.

Brooks has never cracked double digit sacks in his career as a 49er, and in pro football, it's sad how quickly production drops off for many players as they reach their third decade. So he's probably good for about 8 sacks max.

So I have low expectations about the pass rush early in the season, at least as far as sack numbers are concerned. They may get hurries and pressures. The second half, though, might be kinda epic.
[ Edited by CasBanaszek on May 27, 2014 at 1:59 PM ]
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Pretty excited to see the pass rush this year. Lemonier was strong with pressure last year, and if Carradine can sub in for RayMac then hopefully he brings an extra dimension to the pass rush we've missed from the position for a few years. After seeing how insanely slow he was this last year I'd be surprised if Dial ever gets a sack in his career haha.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
A lot of unknown but def reason to be optimistic. Lynch is a big wild card. I read about some concerns about his weight fluctuating. Is he at 260 or 240 now? Seems like 240 is too light for a LB, no?

Wonder how Okoye has progressed as well...

Lynch thinks his optimum pass rushing weight is 260 and he's about 255 right now working on adding muscle - he seems like he might be one of those guys who gets serious not that he's made it into the pros. Let's hope so, because if he gets serious, he's going to be a real package.
  • thl408
Originally posted by CasBanaszek:
Last year, Lemonier graded highly on pressure but only got the one sack. Some guys get close but don't have that magic that puts up the big sack numbers. Aldon strikes like a mongoose from great distances, that's one reason he gets so many sacks. So Corey's a big question mark.

Dorsey has never been known for sacks; Dial likely never will be.

Rookies rarely get big sack numbers; even guys like Robert Quinn had quiet rookie seasons, so Carradine and Lynch (if he makes the squad) are not likely to have significant production.

Aldon's gonna miss a few weeks, maybe a lot of weeks. Maybe a lot more weeks if he messes up again.

Skuta came through with a couple of sacks in the post season, he's a wildcard.

Brooks has never cracked double digit sacks in his career as a 49er, and in pro football, it's sad how quickly production drops off for many players as they reach their third decade. So he's probably good for about 8 sacks max.

So I have low expectations about the pass rush early in the season, at least as far as sack numbers are concerned. They may get hurries and pressures. The second half, though, might be kinda epic.

Good point. I think that's a fair dose of reality for me. Once Tank becomes the one that is pushed around, he's going to have to make some significant adjustments to his game. These NFL tackles and guards are the biggest of the big boys.

Not that the exception proves the rule, but we do have an example right on the squad of a player with 14 sacks in his rookie season.
  • thl408
Originally posted by crake49:

Not that the exception proves the rule, but we do have an example right on the squad of a player with 14 sacks in his rookie season.

Ahh good point. Tank would be getting his first snaps as a pro, but has had more coaching (from the very best) than a typical rookie.

I think the Lions had a rookie DE last season who had 8 or 9 sacks. It can happen.
I think the Lions had a rookie DE last season who had 8 or 9 sacks. It can happen.

Yeah I think Ezekial Ansah? Dude is a monster
I think Lynch is going to end up starting over Raymac by beginning of next year.
Smith is going to be a harder replacement
Originally posted by Quest4six:

Yeah I think Ezekial Ansah? Dude is a monster
I think Lynch is going to end up starting over Raymac by beginning of next year.
Smith is going to be a harder replacement

Lynch is listed as a LB and been given a LB #. I know it's early, but it seems like the team intends to play him outside.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Lynch is listed as a LB and been given a LB #. I know it's early, but it seems like the team intends to play him outside.

He seems like a possible plug in at Ahmed Brooks' position - plays the run real well in addition to rushing the passer.
In complete "wait and see" mode about the pass rush. There are three levels to this issue IMO:

Sure things:
Ahmad Brooks - he's not dead or forgotten
Aldon Smith - pending a suspension

Relatively sure things:
RayMac - health and age
Cowboy - age
Lemonier - showed well when he had the chance
Bowman - when healthy, one of the best blitzers in the game
Skuta - did OK when Aldon was out
Dorsey - not bad, but not great as rotational pass rusher

Question marks:
Tank Carradine - how good will he be now that he's bulked up to 295 lbs.
Aaron Lynch - can he get his head on straight?
Ian Williams - can he push the pocket when healthy

How this all turns out, I have no idea.
Share 49ersWebzone