There are 255 users in the forums

Final Outcome of Alex Smith Trade

Shop Find 49ers gear online
prolly the best thing AS has done for the 49ers

Originally posted by Giedi:
Now that we don't have a 2nd for next year, it will be interesting how we trade from here on in. I was hoping colt or Daniels would have been developed to be a possible trade bait next year or the year thereafter, but it wasn't to be. It looks like we have to win with what we have, and if we let some good rookies and veterans go, we get 7th rounders like what we got for Haralson and Cam Johnson.

I"ll miss those extra 2nd rounders for Baalke to base his trade magic show on. From here on in, unless we trade a good player for high draft picks, it might just be more trade downs for more draft picks like how it was done after the 2nd round was done this year.

Am I missing something, why don't we have a 2nd next year?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Now that we don't have a 2nd for next year, it will be interesting how we trade from here on in. I was hoping colt or Daniels would have been developed to be a possible trade bait next year or the year thereafter, but it wasn't to be. It looks like we have to win with what we have, and if we let some good rookies and veterans go, we get 7th rounders like what we got for Haralson and Cam Johnson.

I"ll miss those extra 2nd rounders for Baalke to base his trade magic show on. From here on in, unless we trade a good player for high draft picks, it might just be more trade downs for more draft picks like how it was done after the 2nd round was done this year.

Am I missing something, why don't we have a 2nd next year?

I think he's referencing the surplus that we had the last two years.

Anyways. This all looks great on paper, and I don't think that you could've gotten any more from Alex Smith, but it's going to be awhile before we really know how it all pans out.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

No, him going down to a concussion was

Don't forget that by dropping Alex's contract we were able to grab Boldin .
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

totally uncalled for in my opinion
The St. Louis Rams got a fairly unbelievable return in their trade that sent quarterback Robert Griffin III to Washington, but we all knew that. It is referenced all the time.

The Alex Smith trade isn't talked about as much but it's pretty unbelievable, and will help the 49ers for many years to come.

The 49ers traded Smith, who San Francisco was never going to willfully start in another game, for a second-round pick in 2013 and a conditional pick in 2014 that became a second-rounder once the Chiefs won eight games last season. 49ers general manager Trent Baalke started trading down with those picks, gaining extra selections, and that's where it gets interesting.

The 49ers ended up with five players from that trade, according to MMQB's Peter King. Here was the haul:

- DE Tank Carradine, 2013 second round
- LB Corey Lemonier, 2013 third round
- LB Chris Borland, 2014 third round
- RB Carlos Hyde, 2014 second round
- WR Stevie Johnson, trade from Buffalo

That's an amazing return for a quarterback who, while better than what the Chiefs had, is an average NFL starting quarterback and was never going to be a starter for San Francisco again.

Carradine is a first-round talent who fell because he was coming off an ACL injury. Lemonier was a highly-regarded pass rusher in last year's draft. Borland is a tough inside linebacker. Hyde could end up taking over as San Francisco's starting tailback whenever Frank Gore runs out of gas. And Johnson is a three-time 1,000-yard receiver who helps right away. Johnson might be the only player expected to play a key role right away on a deep 49ers team, but in a few years it wouldn't be surprising if two, three or four of these players become key starters.

Whether or not you think it was worth it for Kansas City (and after Smith played pretty well and the Chiefs went to the playoffs last season, I wouldn't argue if you did), you can't deny that the 49ers did a tremendous job turning a backup into five good players. If you've ever wondered how the 49ers built one of the top two or three rosters in the NFL, and seem to efficiently add to it every year, just take a look at the Alex Smith trade.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/49ers-got-a-fairly-incredible-haul-in-the-alex-smith-trade-153536820.html
Wow, great trade.

Stay classy.

• sfout
  • Veteran
Why do people always say BPA?

We targeted Carradine

We targeted Hyde

We targeted Borland

Give our front office credit for taking the players they wanted to take.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

DL Tank Carradine (second round, 2013)

LB Corey Lemonier (third round, 2013)

LB Chris Borland (third round, 2014)

RB Carlos Hyde (second round, 2014)

WR Stevie Johnson (acquired for 2015 fourth-rounder)

I would rather have this than the #1 overall pick.
Originally posted by cciowa:

Gotta wonder what we would have gotten for Kap.. 2 1sts? What could Baalke do with that? Just sayin.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by cciowa:

Gotta wonder what we would have gotten for Kap.. 2 1sts? What could Baalke do with that? Just sayin.

He only has one year on his contract. What Mad Hatter would trade us for a free agent?

Oh wait, nevermind, KC would.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
The St. Louis Rams got a fairly unbelievable return in their trade that sent quarterback Robert Griffin III to Washington, but we all knew that. It is referenced all the time.

The Alex Smith trade isn't talked about as much but it's pretty unbelievable, and will help the 49ers for many years to come.

The 49ers traded Smith, who San Francisco was never going to willfully start in another game, for a second-round pick in 2013 and a conditional pick in 2014 that became a second-rounder once the Chiefs won eight games last season. 49ers general manager Trent Baalke started trading down with those picks, gaining extra selections, and that's where it gets interesting.

The 49ers ended up with five players from that trade, according to MMQB's Peter King. Here was the haul:

- DE Tank Carradine, 2013 second round
- LB Corey Lemonier, 2013 third round
- LB Chris Borland, 2014 third round
- RB Carlos Hyde, 2014 second round
- WR Stevie Johnson, trade from Buffalo

That's an amazing return for a quarterback who, while better than what the Chiefs had, is an average NFL starting quarterback and was never going to be a starter for San Francisco again.

Carradine is a first-round talent who fell because he was coming off an ACL injury. Lemonier was a highly-regarded pass rusher in last year's draft. Borland is a tough inside linebacker. Hyde could end up taking over as San Francisco's starting tailback whenever Frank Gore runs out of gas. And Johnson is a three-time 1,000-yard receiver who helps right away. Johnson might be the only player expected to play a key role right away on a deep 49ers team, but in a few years it wouldn't be surprising if two, three or four of these players become key starters.

Whether or not you think it was worth it for Kansas City (and after Smith played pretty well and the Chiefs went to the playoffs last season, I wouldn't argue if you did), you can't deny that the 49ers did a tremendous job turning a backup into five good players. If you've ever wondered how the 49ers built one of the top two or three rosters in the NFL, and seem to efficiently add to it every year, just take a look at the Alex Smith trade.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/49ers-got-a-fairly-incredible-haul-in-the-alex-smith-trade-153536820.html
I don't see how you're squeezing Lemonier (excuse the pun) into the Alex Smith deal. He came in a deal where they traded their own third round pick (#93 overall in 2013) to #88 overall and threw in a late round pick.

My assessment is that the Chiefs got a starting QB who just turned 30 who took the team from the basement to the playoffs in one season, while the 9ers have absolutely zip to show so far. Other than having given Carradine a couple million to sit for a year. He just had his last operation a couple months back as well.
Share 49ersWebzone