There are 178 users in the forums

49er argument: go all in now or be just good for a long time.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by rtj03:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Not good enough?
We've fallen short of two SBs by mere inches and one other by Williams's fumbles.
A lot of you guys need to pull your head out.

You only get so many chances. We may not ever get the chance again so we needed to capitalize while we were there.

You only get so many chances......if your team is only built for short term success.
I was one of the guys screaming we need to trade for Gordon, was ready to trade a 1st and a 2nd. Heck we may have even won the SB if we did that, but look where we would be now... between a rock and a hard place. Instead Baalke stuck to his guns and got us waaaaaaay more with that 1st and 2nd not to mention he got a 1,000 yard 10 td wr for free. Thatswhy im and arm chair gm and Baalke gets paid to do his job.
We're not going to be able to keep 12 guys. That's my counter-argument.

But Baalke couldn't find a trade partner, so it is what it is.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Even if we don't keep 12 (you're right, we won't), there's still value in drafting 12. That's extended looks at these guys throughout training camp. You're never going to get that level of evaluation through pre-draft private workouts.

Besides, it's not like we could package 4 6's/7's and get another 2nd round pick out of it. The high picks we used (first 3-4 rounds) netted us quality depth -- most, if not all, of them will make the roster.
[ Edited by theduke85 on May 10, 2014 at 1:51 PM ]
Originally posted by theduke85:
Even if we don't keep 12 (you're right, we won't), there's still value in drafting 12. That's extended looks at these guys throughout training camp. You're never going to get that level of evaluation through pre-draft private workouts.

Besides, it's not like we could package 4 6's/7's and get another 2nd round pick out of it. The high picks we used (first 3-4 rounds) netted us quality depth -- most, if not all, of them will make the roster.

Yeah, finding a trade partner this year wasn't happening.
The time to go all in would've been last year, we had the picks to do it.

We had the picks to do it again this year, but I don't think people appreciate just how much roster turnover this team is gonna face in the coming years simply because we've drafted so well over the years and won't be able to afford to keep everyone.
You can draft guys to sell jersey's and tickets, or you can draft guy to win games, some tins you can do both, but if I have to choose let me win games! Lets stay at the top, stay relevant, and stay thirsty my friends, the rings will come!

Of course we're not keeping 12, but think about what we will get out of this class (not counting the still TBD 7th rounders):

1. Ward (3rd CB / essentially a starter) - on the 53
2. Hyde (3rd RB off the bench / special teams / future with Lattimore) - on the 53
3. Martin (possible starter this year / future starter for sure) - on the 53
4. Borland (3rd ILB / could be starter until Bowman returns / likely special teams ace) - on the 53
5. Thomas (IR this year / first round talent who likely replaces Iupati) - IR
6. Ellington (slot ability / deep threat / return ability / will be groomed) - on the 53
7. Johnson (likely 4th QB / development for future / great size) - likely on the 53
8. Lynch (rotational DL with a lot of upside) - likely on the 53
9. Reaser (IR this year / will be groomed for depth) - IR
10. Atcher (will compete in camp / who knows) - likely practice squad

The TBD 7th rounders will likely be practice squad guys as well (not to mention the UDFAs we will have). So really, the 7 guys drafted who will likely make the final 53 are going to make this team better. Not to mention Carradine and Lattimore are essentially "rookies" this year. Ask me, pretty darn good haul.
Originally posted by VANiner:

Of course we're not keeping 12, but think about what we will get out of this class (not counting the still TBD 7th rounders):

2. Hyde (3rd RB off the bench / special teams / future with Lattimore) - on the 53
4. Borland (3rd ILB / could be starter until Bowman returns / likely special teams ace) - on the 53
6. Ellington (slot ability / deep threat / return ability / will be groomed) - on the 53
7. Johnson (likely 4th QB / development for future / great size) - likely on the 53

The TBD 7th rounders will likely be practice squad guys as well (not to mention the UDFAs we will have). So really, the 7 guys drafted who will likely make the final 53 are going to make this team better. Not to mention Carradine and Lattimore are essentially "rookies" this year. Ask me, pretty darn good haul.

It makes a lot of sense when you spell it out that way, plus Stevie.

But here's my counter...

Hyde... 3rd RB taken in three years.
Borland... team seemed pretty high on Wilhoite.
Ellington... may not even make the 53, which means practice squad, which means he could be poached.

But again, what am I arguing for? No one would trade with us in the first round. The Hyde-pick is kind of weird doe.

But here's my counter...

Ellington... may not even make the 53, which means practice squad, which means he could be poached.

But again, what am I arguing for? No one would trade with us in the first round. The Hyde-pick is kind of weird doe.

In the end, poached or traded for future 7th round picks, a massive infusion of young talent creates competition, and depth. This keeps us young, athletic and relevant. It also gives the front office room to negotiate cap friendly contracts, or trade vets for late round picks. I like the depth this draft class brings to camp, even if only 2-3 pan out, if we get one quality starter, then it is really a win.

But here's my counter...

I have a minor counter for your counter

1 weve gotten a rb three years in a row but all three of those rbs were first round talent taken in later rounds
2 Bowman is gunna be out at least half the season so what happens if god forbid Wilhoite gets injured and aldon is suspended as well? Who backs up the back ups? Broland has great talent when it comes to stopping the run and blitzing and can be very usefull to us.
3 thats a total possibility but he also could make the 53 because his ability to play special teams as a returner, and his speed as a receiver is something none of our receivers seem to have.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

But here's my counter...

I have a minor counter for your counter

1 weve gotten a rb three years in a row but all three of those rbs were first round talent taken in later rounds
2 Bowman is gunna be out at least half the season so what happens if god forbid Wilhoite gets injured and aldon is suspended as well? Who backs up the back ups? Broland has great talent when it comes to stopping the run and blitzing and can be very usefull to us.
3 thats a total possibility but he also could make the 53 because his ability to play special teams as a returner, and his speed as a receiver is something none of our receivers seem to have.

Good points. This is a kitchen counter.

Good points. This is a kitchen counter.

Dammit I forfeit, you win......

But here's my counter...

I definitely see the logic behind them...

Hyde - Gore is on his last year, LMJ hasnt fit, That leaves us with Lattimore & Hunter, and now Hyde on a team that puts a priority on the run and just watched Lynch put an offense on his back on the way to a SB win. If Lattimore is really at full health we got arguably the two top RBs coming out of college and defenses have no chance to rest.

Borland - Will be a special teams demon to start, and the depth with Wilhoite, Moody and Borland allows us to rest more of our defense and we already have seen the effect that had on our D-line. Plus the Bowman injury will force us to keep 4 ILB while Bowman likely is on the IR or PUP to start the season.

Ellington - Who is saying he wont make the 53? Is anyone really thinking the team would choose a out of work for a year Lloyd over this guy? Crabs, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Ellington, with Osgood for ST. Whoever thinks this kid wont make the roster should put down the crack pipe.
[ Edited by 5280High on May 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
I definitely see the logic behind them...

Hyde - Gore is on his last year, LMJ hasnt fit, That leaves us with Lattimore & Hunter, and now Hyde on a team that puts a priority on the run and just watched Lynch put an offense on his back on the way to a SB win. If Lattimore is really at full health we got arguably the two top RBs coming out of college and defenses have no chance to rest.

Borland - Will be a special teams demon to start, and the depth with Wilhoite, Moody and Borland allows us to rest more of our defense and we already have seen the effect that had on our D-line. Plus the Bowman injury will force us to keep 4 ILB while Bowman likely is on the IR or PUP to start the season.

Ellington - Who is saying he wont make the 53? Is anyone really thinking the team would choose a out of work for a year Lloyd over this guy? Crabs, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Ellington, with Moore for ST. Whoever thinks this kid wont make the roster should put down the crack pipe.

Whos Moore?
Share 49ersWebzone