There are 228 users in the forums

49er argument: go all in now or be just good for a long time.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
the current minnesota vikings is what you get if you go all in and it doesnt work out. circa 2009 there was little doubt they had the most talented roster.
We had decent quantity, but we wouldn't have been able to get into the top 10 without trading everything. And even then, there's not really much of a guarantee that you pick up a all-pro. In other words, the risk is much worse than the potential reward
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Id rather be good a long time. I can't recall an instance where a team mortgaged their future for the right now and it worked out. We already have a SB winning roster. This talk of Baalke not being aggressive is ridiculous. If you don't like his picks, fine. But don't give me this we need to go all in s**t. I've seen several times it don't work.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I feel this is an elite level team, with Superbowl talent. It is my opinion that Kapernick's development is incomplete, and as he learns to dump it off and spread the field wide as well as deep, he well be unstoppable. Harbaugh's Stanford run game and his NFL run game are different, at Stanford he ran inside to set up the outside run. The outside run is where you generate big plays. Frank Gore, is not a big play runner, our O-line is not an inside out run line. We need to be able to continue to hammer the ball inside, but it is my hope that we are starting to look for O-linemen that are more athletic, and less road grader. It looks like (from readining bios and watching highlights) the guts we picked up are suited to this style of run game. I am hoping that Latimore, and this new kid can work inside out.
So in closing, no not worried about starters, worried about true depth, and a more varied offensive attack. We have filled needs through trade, and free agency, added depth through the draft, it looks like a great offseason to me, now if Kaep can just learn to spread the ball around, we won't stop at 6!

Frank may not be a big play runner, but he sure as hell has made a ton of big plays in his career.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
rtj03 - worst thread starter US

I am not sure about worst but he does ask a fair question in the sense that some are upset that we are not going all out in FA/DRAFT for a run today.

and on the surface it looks like moves to stay good for years.

the truth is both and i think most people that look at the big picture will see that.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Best S, C and RB and top OT and Stevie Johnson for free an signed through 2016? I'd say all four moves ARE impact moves for now and WELL into the future.

totally agree!!! This draft + last yr's redshirts...i fkn love it
Another thread for you to whine in? How many have you created in the last 2 days? Curious if this is the first draft you've ever witnessed. Are you totally new to this?
[ Edited by kronik on May 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM ]
Double post
[ Edited by JimA49ers on May 10, 2014 at 10:57 AM ]
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Not good enough?
We've fallen short of two SBs by mere inches and one other by Williams's fumbles.
A lot of you guys need to pull your head out.

This.
1. Fumble blew it. Thanks Kyle.
2. Non-calls. Holding all day, especially the one on the 2nd half drive. Ravens in our backfield before the snap on a win-the-game drive. Thanks refs.
3. Again, no holding calls which were blatantly obvious as in the ravens game. Referees going for the three-peat this year?

The Niners BARELY lost to the last 3 Super Bowl winners. Relax, they will be fine.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Best S, C and RB and top OT and Stevie Johnson for free an signed through 2016? I'd say all four moves ARE impact moves for now and WELL into the future.

We didn't get the best Safety. I agree with the rest of your post, though.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Applauds the Seahawks for Harvin and Lynch, ignores that we traded mid round picks for Boldin and Big Stevie J.

Fans complain we trade down not up, but do not mention Seahawks did the same thing. Or that the Patriots and Ravens have been contenders and essentially built a dynasties on this approach.

Fans want to land impact starters on a team that essentially has all it's starters penciled in.

Since when do the Ravens have a dynasty? LOL
Remember rtj, that we are not drafting 7th, we are drafting 30th , 31st and 30th 3 yrs running. And to accumulate the best talented team in the NFL (ESPN Kiper) and NFL network talking heads, both of whom mean nothing) but looking at this team, we went into draft with 43 locks. LOCKS. Many teams need 43 players, or essentially a great player at 20 of the 24 positions. Oakland, Browns, Jax, are but a few. We didn't get a splashy guy that is true. But trent generally got consensus picks at 20-30 slots later than they were judged to be on the board, excluding our DB who was in top 34 or so. Trent has a quality team he has picked, and he just made it better at every slot.

As for WRs, while everyone else was drafting WRs , a few early and a run of them in the 20s, Trent was bring a slot WR and also Stevie J from the bills via trade. Even better the 4th rounder trent gave up to get Stevie, he got back the next pick by swapping out. FAce it, rtj. The guy is a genius, and if you play poker with him , he would take the shirt off your back.

Not that it matters, kIper rated our draft as best in NFL quality wise, and got our DB. My bet is he didn't think the high CBs were worth the value so he gets a press corner /SS as our first pick, albeit from N.ILL. Look for him to reel in DBs in later rounds and I bet my ss check we end up with a dozen DBs in late rounds and as UDFAs mainly. Also look for half a dozen WRs to show up as UDFAs. All he is doing is taking a look to see if any gems out there. He has probably contacted any DB available and already invited them to camp if they don't get picked. Pure TRent.
With a roster as talented as ours, there is no need to go all in. With the way the playoffs are, you just need to get in and anything can happen. Hell, 1987 might be the greatest niner team ever and they got knocked out In their first game. '88 squad gets in with a 10-6 records and wins it all. Draft picks and cap control is the life blood of an nfl team, we seem to have a front office that understands this and is shooting for longevity.
[ Edited by Niners816 on May 10, 2014 at 11:03 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Ask any player and what they want are "chances". There is no "go all in" the terms you use aren't football terms. Let's compare those teams that have "gone all in."

Falcons "went all in" after Julio Jones and what has it gotten them?
Seahwaks won with their base team and not the big splashy FA who's costing them a fortune, they'll feel the losses next season.
Denver has gone all-in TWICE and they still didn't make it.

The biggest factor you can't control: INJURIES

The best way to limit the effect of injuries is to have depth. You can't both have a team full of FA stars AND great depth with a awesome core of home-grown starters. Paper champions in May doesn't mean s**t in December and especially January.

This is what I was thinking. If we went all in, we'd be the 2012 Falcons. No thanks.
Share 49ersWebzone