LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
personally, id let him walk.. as we see the big picture, he has been injured for most of his career and last season by chance he pulled through.. Id save the money on Ward and use them elsewhere. We have young safeties and players will be dying to come to San Fran to get a ring.. also there was an article on this guy.. maybe he will take less cash to sign than Ward..

http://www.nfl.com/player/justinsimmons/2555550/profile
We have discussed franchising and trading AA but how about the reverse? Franchising and trading Ward.

T-Moore could become the starter and we could draft another backup FS and/or move Reed from nickle corner to FS. It worked when we did that for Ward.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mayo49:
We need Ward back - he's much better than Moore.

That's really not saying much mayo. lol

There's a bunch of Safeties I'd take over Ward.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
We have discussed franchising and trading AA but how about the reverse? Franchising and trading Ward.

T-Moore could become the starter and we could draft another backup FS and/or move Reed from nickle corner to FS. It worked when we did that for Ward.

According to the Internet the 2019 franchise tag salary for a safety was $11.15 million. So a team would have to pay Ward elite money and give the Niners something in a trade. I'd guess that the probability of that happening is close to zero.
Quite a few times last year where Ward wasIn the right position and the last line of defense and made TD saving tackles. If he leaves I Sure Hope moore has cleaned up his angles and tackles.
Ward was good this year, but his past still lingers, unless he puts a couple more solid seasons in a row he might not get that contract he is looking for. He should probably take a team friendly deal that pays him say 6 or 7 mil a season for 2 or 3 years which is more than he is making now for the opportunity to play on a squad that will be in the hunt for the Super Bowl pretty much every year, if not let him walk.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Quite a few times last year where Ward wasIn the right position and the last line of defense and made TD saving tackles. If he leaves I Sure Hope moore has cleaned up his angles and tackles.

Yeah, Moore is the weak link in the secondary - I hope he cleans up his technique, because he's going to get mega burned, if he has to fill in for Ward.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 27, 2020 at 3:23 AM ]
Originally posted by philgardis49:
Ward was good this year, but his past still lingers, unless he puts a couple more solid seasons in a row he might not get that contract he is looking for. He should probably take a team friendly deal that pays him say 6 or 7 mil a season for 2 or 3 years which is more than he is making now for the opportunity to play on a squad that will be in the hunt for the Super Bowl pretty much every year, if not let him walk.

I would add one time signing bonus to that as a thank you for his perseverance in production this season. Honestly who could ever have imagined Jimmy Ward coming through. After the last 4 years
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

I would add one time signing bonus to that as a thank you for his perseverance in production this season. Honestly who could ever have imagined Jimmy Ward coming through. After the last 4 years

His signing bonus was getting payed to be on IR for 4 years.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

His signing bonus was getting payed to be on IR for 4 years.

Exactly. If we franchise and trade one of them I would rather it be Ward. AA at least hasn't been injured half as often.

He's gone. Someone will pay him double digits.
Originally posted by NCommand:

I want Moore back there bc he can actually get ints. He could get burned here and there but the net gains in turnovers will outweigh his bad angles

With our pass rush I think Moore makes an impact a lot bigger than Ward
Originally posted by elguapo:

I want Moore back there bc he can actually get ints. He could get burned here and there but the net gains in turnovers will outweigh his bad angles

That's a great point about the pass rush. He looked good in the first game taking his first start. Not coincidently, that was the first and only time Ford played 60% of the snaps.

That's a great point about the pass rush. He looked good in the first game taking his first start. Not coincidently, that was the first and only time Ford played 60% of the snaps.

Very true! The weird thing is Ward was a play maker in college. He was breaking on passes and intercepting them, I think he had six interceptions his senior year. I know he's playing it safe because he's the last line of defense, however sometimes you got to break on balls and get interceptions instead of just playing it safe back there.

There are so many safeties that can make plays without getting burned all the time. Ward might just not be one of them yet and I think since he's always been on the borderline between losing his job or getting replaced he just doesn't want to screw up and give up a a big play. We know he has the ability to be a ball hawk. I just think he doesn't wanna risk getting benched or replaced because due to his past injuries and or his performance he is a borderline starter for us.

Very true! The weird thing is Ward was a play maker in college. He was breaking on passes and intercepting them, I think he had six interceptions his senior year. I know he's playing it safe because he's the last line of defense, however sometimes you got to break on balls and get interceptions instead of just playing it safe back there.

There are so many safeties that can make plays without getting burned all the time. Ward might just not be one of them yet and I think since he's always been on the borderline between losing his job or getting replaced he just doesn't want to screw up and give up a a big play. We know he has the ability to be a ball hawk. I just think he doesn't wanna risk getting benched or replaced because due to his past injuries and or his performance he is a borderline starter for us.

Yeah. Given the philosophy of the defense, keeping everything in front of you lends itself to a softer mindset...make teams slowly move down the field and make a mistake. But behind a pass rush like we had, how do you not turn the back 7 loose? There's so many veterans. They know when to attack and when not.
Share 49ersWebzone