LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

Why does Baalke seem get a free pass from serious criticism?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Several WebZone members compared Blaine Gabbert to Alex. It's my hope in a year or two (or three) maybe we can trade Blaine for two second round picks like we did Alex.

He'd have to start 25 games for that to happen. No thank you.

This. And we would lose probably 20 of them.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

That's just me and how I feel about our CB situation. Which looks like this to me:

I think you maybe hallucinating.
Not sure if this has been discussed but I'm looking at the 2013 draft results...

So we couldve had Travis Kelce, Eddie Lacy, Keenan Allen, Markus Wheaton, Jordan Reed, and Knile Davs...

Instead we took Vance Mcdonald, and Corey Lemonier......f**k ME.......WE NEED TO FIRE BAALKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by verb1der:
Not sure if this has been discussed but I'm looking at the 2013 draft results...

So we couldve had Travis Kelce, Eddie Lacy, Keenan Allen, Markus Wheaton, Jordan Reed, and Knile Davs...

Instead we took Vance Mcdonald, and Corey Lemonier......f**k ME.......WE NEED TO FIRE BAALKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you saying we could have had all of those guys or 1 or 2
Originally posted by OldJoe:
To respond to the topic Q. Baalke is not perfect, nor was Walsh. Jeff Bregel and JJ Stokes were a couple of first round flame outs ... there are many more.

This is a technique used often here. In hindsight we compare someone to perfection. Walsh was a great talent evaluator, but not perfect. He is considered great for his "hits" in the draft and most are forgiving of his misses.

But no one goes as far as stating we would be so much better dumping Baalke and hiring person X. We do it to Kap, Harbaugh, Roman etc....

Bingo - add to that Reggie McGrew - who absolutely sucked.

In all in for Trent.
Topic of thread-completely agree. Baalke should be on the hot seat for the 2012-13 drafts. Neither have produced anything to this point. Wasted drafts that should not go unnoticed. Why is this not discussed more. Plus he let people from those drafts, like cooper, go, who is now a starting corner. Letting Morris go was another mistake while hanging on to culliver who actually blows as a cover corner and is a huge liability. He has a blond spot for that position; so many quality corners, as well as other positions, in this years draft and we take ward I first round.x don't trade any of the picks, while I see a lot of rookies like Benjamin, who we could have had, producing. Baalke should be on the hot seat right there with harbaugh.
He's had one bad draft. I'm not sure how anyone thinks Baalke should be on the "hot seat" for 2013. They've got Eric Reid, a pro bowl safety, already considered one of the top five safeties in the league, Dial and Carradine are on the verge of being contributors on the D-line, Vance McDonald and Quinton Patton have their detractors around here, but you can hardly call them busts at this point, we still don't know about Lattimore and Lemonier hasn't been lighting up the joint, but you certainly couldn't call him a bust at this point.

And this year, Baalke may have gotten a player who will possibly be considered the steal of the entire draft with Aaron Lynch in the fifth round (!).
Originally posted by crake49:
He's had one bad draft. I'm not sure how anyone thinks Baalke should be on the "hot seat" for 2013. They've got Eric Reid, a pro bowl safety, already considered one of the top five safeties in the league, Dial and Carradine are on the verge of being contributors on the D-line, Vance McDonald and Quinton Patton have their detractors around here, but you can hardly call them busts at this point, we still don't know about Lattimore and Lemonier hasn't been lighting up the joint, but you certainly couldn't call him a bust at this point.

And this year, Baalke may have gotten a player who will possibly be considered the steal of the entire draft with Aaron Lynch in the fifth round (!).

No one beyond Reid has done anything to date. That is not good. Sorry, but we should have had more contributions after a full season and a quarter.
Originally posted by MBNINER90266:
No one beyond Reid has done anything to date. That is not good. Sorry, but we should have had more contributions after a full season and a quarter.

Not sure what you were expecting from rookies on one of the deepest rosters in the NFL. Were you expecting Tank Carradine to replace Justin Smith.

McDonald to replace Davis.......Patton over Boldin, Crabtree and Johnson.....

Its tough for a young player to break in, doesn't mean that the talent isn't there. Considering how reticent the coaching staff is to play younger players when they have veteran alternatives, not exactly sure how you can blame Baalke. He brought in quality talent, its up to the coaching staff to use them properly.

As far as not doing anything, McDonald has done a good job as the #2 blocking TE, Patton made some clutch catches down the stretch when he was healthy but he's stuck at the back of a deep WR group this year along with Ellington. Lemonier made some plays even last season when Aldon was out. That also ignores all the free agents and other players that Baalke has brought in, guys like Skuta, Boldin, Johnson, Bethea...etc. People keep bringing up the players that the 49ers COULD have drafted without also acknowledging that these same players could look very different in this system, stuck behind a whole bunch of veterans.

He's done a damn good job.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 30, 2014 at 9:40 AM ]
Originally posted by teylo31:

Are you saying we could have had all of those guys or 1 or 2

We could've had any two of those mentioned with our 2nd and 3rd rd picks. Give me Kelce and Keenan Allen!

We could've had any two of those mentioned with our 2nd and 3rd rd picks. Give me Kelce and Keenan Allen!

And if they had drafted Kelce and he had been lost for the season, with known injury issues, as well being a headcase in college, you'd be b***hing out Baalke up and down. Kelce was a 1st round talent that fell to the 3rd round because of what he had going on upstairs. Guys like that can bust as easily as they can succeed. Lynch was a similar risk, however a 5th round pick, and a lot of people were still upset about it.

Keenan Allen was a nice addition to San Diego, good value at where he was picked but another guy with injury issues in his background.

In any given draft you can look at guys who you coulda, shoulda, woulda drafted, for every single team.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 30, 2014 at 9:47 AM ]
Originally posted by MBNINER90266:

No, I don't think you have a very realistic view on how NFL GM's view the relative success of a given draft. Generally, a draft which yields a starting pro bowl safety who is already considered one of the better safeties in the league is considered a successful draft. And, as I have already pointed out, there are other players in the draft who will eventually be starters. So, I'm not sure where you are coming from on the 2013 draft or on Baalke in general. The team is more successful under Baalke and Harbaugh than at least 28 other teams in the league. What are you complaining about?
I always wondered why Baalke got a free pass, and I think it's because we are winning.

He has had drafts that have been so bad he has had to back fill those drafts with proven free agents or re-drafting the same position (Stevie Johnson for A.J Jenkins or Hyde for LMJ) . Currently his 2nd rounders are being out played by 4th & 5th rounders and or undrafted FA's (Lynch for Tank - Carrier for McDonald).

No one holds his feet to the fire for these things.

Here are a few things that are not so bad but are still pretty obvious:

Not being able to draft a back up QB ($2 million on a back up in Gabbert that can't play is nuts!)

Drafting injured players that he hopes will turn out to be healthy (we have guys that cannot contribute right now at some key positions).

Not understanding the value of speed at certain positions (WR, DB)

Content with Scotty Mac's aging stars to get the job done! (VD, Gore, Crabtree, Willis, Bowman, JS, Ray Mac, etc).

With a better GM Harbaugh and Co. would be deadly!!!!
Originally posted by crake49:
No, I don't think you have a very realistic view on how NFL GM's view the relative success of a given draft. Generally, a draft which yields a starting pro bowl safety who is already considered one of the better safeties in the league is considered a successful draft. And, as I have already pointed out, there are other players in the draft who will eventually be starters. So, I'm not sure where you are coming from on the 2013 draft or on Baalke in general. The team is more successful under Baalke and Harbaugh than at least 28 other teams in the league. What are you complaining about?

I don't think people get that you draft for 2-3 years down the road, not for tomorrow. Fans think in terms of "immediate help", good GM's think of stockpiling talent to develop to replace pricier veterans with down the road.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

And if they had drafted Kelce and he had been lost for the season, with known injury issues, as well being a headcase in college, you'd be b***hing out Baalke up and down. Kelce was a 1st round talent that fell to the 3rd round because of what he had going on upstairs. Guys like that can bust as easily as they can succeed. Lynch was a similar risk, however a 5th round pick, and a lot of people were still upset about it.

Keenan Allen was a nice addition to San Diego, good value at where he was picked but another guy with injury issues in his background.

In any given draft you can look at guys who you coulda, shoulda, woulda drafted, for every single team.

Yea true but still...Kelce is a beast, and Vance has been a disappointment. I think I'm just mad at that.
Share 49ersWebzone