There are 237 users in the forums

Eddie D on Kaep "I'm worried that the team might get old around him,"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Chief
  • Veteran
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000337397/article/eddie-debartolo-jr-still-fancies-nfl-return-in-the-right-situation

"He's a great guy, and he's got a ton of talent, but I'm worried that the team might get old around him," DeBartolo said of Kaepernick. "They've had a hell of a run for three years, but there are some holes that have to be filled."

That challenge will fall to Jed York, DeBartolo's nephew, who is currently trying to manage the relationship between a talented general manager (Trent Baalke) and a head coach, Jim Harbaugh, whom DeBartolo describes as "high maintenance ... but a really good coach, with a great staff."

Good article about Eddie DeBartolo considering a return to the NFL, some 49er talk mixed in obviously.
[ Edited by Chief on Mar 27, 2014 at 9:00 AM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
This draft should help with younger Wr's and if we keep Crabtree

TE Vernon isn't ol, but is older. We have Vance and I think we will do a good job of staying young there

RB's are young outside of Gore

OL is young

Dline has some Vets, but we have a ton af yong guys for depth and to take over. I think we will keep adding depth over they years.

LB's Aldon is young, Bowman is young, WIllis and Brooks are not 30 yet, we have Lemonieer(sp) and Moody and will keep adding when the time comes

DB's are all young and we will keep drafting to fill in holes.

We do have Vets in key spots, but we have drafted guys to replace them once they are done. I think we are always thinking ahead.
Gotta get Justin's Beefey replacement (hopefully Stephon Tuitt). Gotta get Donte Moncrief. Gotta get Gabe Jackson Guard. Gotta get CB prospect like Gilbert, Fuller, Denard. Gotta hope Lattimore is healthy and transitions to what we all hope and believe he can be which is a stud NFL runner. There is a lot of work that needs to be done but if the 2013 draft class and this 2014 Draft class hit and continue to develop, then the 49ers will be at the top of the NFL for the foreseeable future atleast playoffs annually.
Totally agree....this draft is very important. We really need that 1986 type draft that restocks the roster an loads up the team. I still feel our window is very much open. Not many three time conference finalist/winners have back to back double digit draft classes.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Mar 27, 2014 at 9:20 AM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Aldon- 24
Bowman-25
Brock-25
Culliver-25
Reid-22
TJE-23
Dobbs-27
I. WIlliams-24
Tank-25
Dial-23
Moody-24

Crabtree-26
Vance-23
Hunter-25
James-24
Patton-23
Lattimore-22
Boone-26
A.Davis-24
Iputai-26
Kilgore-26
Looney-23
Martin-24
Baldwin-24
Celek-25
Carrier-23

That is the youth on this team right now and we will add about 7 draft picks to that this year.
team is a lot younger than its given credit for. sure theres a few guys over 30 and a few getting to 30 but theres a lot of youth on the team.
  • thl408
Justin, Boldin, and Gore are on their last legs.

VD, Willis, RayMac, Brooks, Staley, have been in their prime, and may be starting to decline in the near future.

Everyone else is on an upward trend.
Not true. A COUPLE of key guys will get old (Gore, J Smith, etc) but there is a lot of youth on this team. One thing to note, it is much easier to replace key guys when the team is super talented. We are talented. When you are less talented, losing a great player is harder.

It is not a problem.
Our bell cow and most productive WR are old. Until we find replacements that are true threats, we will be old at a couple of key offensive positions.
We only have one game breaking offensive player and he's our TE (running QB doesn't count). That is a major hole on offense.
[ Edited by Joecool on Mar 27, 2014 at 9:35 AM ]
I think you have to have a balance and we have done a pretty good job of it so far. You cant be all young guys because veteran leadership and having been there means a lot when you are faced with adversity. On the other hand you have to have young legs that can make plays deep into the season or even deep into overtime and can provide that spark that egnites a big play.

Most of our core players are young
If kaep is what we all hope he is and we nail this upcoming draft, this very well might just be the beginning of a juggernaut type team. Imagine back in ' 95 if we would have had two consecutive drafts that had 5-6 picks in the top 100. Another factor is the cap appears to be raising at a pretty nice level so while I'm sure there might be a little inflationary aspect to salaries we still should be able to keep the young core intact.

Now you gotta make the pick, but I feel you dramatically increase ur chances when you have multiple top 100 picks.
This is why Baalke is so good... Your team wont get old if you get 10-13 draft picks every year. And his staff is pretty good at late round talent as well.
Originally posted by 5280High:
This is why Baalke is so good... Your team wont get old if you get 10-13 draft picks every year. And his staff is pretty good at late round talent as well.

Still don't have a proven home run hitter at RB and WR.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 5280High:

Still don't have a proven home run hitter at RB and WR.

Meh... Im realistic. Considering our success at OL, QB, DL, DE, OLB, MLB, CB, and S. RB is a ?, Lattimore could never see the field or he could be a probowler, who knows. WR is improving and Patton will make impressive strides this summer.

So again... he gud
Share 49ersWebzone