LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 369 users in the forums

I think the Niners should give the ozzie newsome formula of compensatory picks a try.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Most teams around the league are probably aware that Iupati has 1 yr left on his contract and the 49ers may not be in a position to resign him. If they were willing to part with a 1st round pick, even a 2015 1st round pick they would make the offer to the 49ers for a trade. I doubt the 49ers would turn it down. Something tells me that no other team wants to give up a 1st round pick for a player they will have to pay huge FA money to in 1 season if they could resign him. Why not just wait 1 yr and sign him as a FA and keep your 1st round pick?
if you give up the 1st, you control the player. if you don't you are competing with all the other ball clubs to sign him. and you wouldn't do the trade without a contract in place, but even if you did, you still control him for 2 extra years via franchise tag.
Originally posted by biggiep:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
meh.....I think NE is overrated.

As unfortunate as it is for us, Seattles front office is pretty damn good.

NE has been managing the cap for years. Considering how the odds have been stacked against them season after season in terms of paying their guys, the level of success, even if not in the form of rings, this past decade is unprecedented in the salary cap era. Seattle has only begun to make tough budgeting decisions on their players. They've been good at scouting and acquiring talent but managing the cap is something they haven't had to really do until now so let's not crown them yet.

this. the patriots are #1 ravens are #2. the patriots have had help with tom brady taking significantly less.

i think right now the niners are #3, and no other team is up their. we will see how the seahawks handle the next 2 offseasons, and if the ravens can rebuild their team.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Most teams around the league are probably aware that Iupati has 1 yr left on his contract and the 49ers may not be in a position to resign him. If they were willing to part with a 1st round pick, even a 2015 1st round pick they would make the offer to the 49ers for a trade. I doubt the 49ers would turn it down. Something tells me that no other team wants to give up a 1st round pick for a player they will have to pay huge FA money to in 1 season if they could resign him. Why not just wait 1 yr and sign him as a FA and keep your 1st round pick?
if you give up the 1st, you control the player. if you don't you are competing with all the other ball clubs to sign him. and you wouldn't do the trade without a contract in place, but even if you did, you still control him for 2 extra years via franchise tag.

Do you think a team wants to trade a 1st rd pick for Iupati? Me: no

Do you think the 49ers would turn it down? Me: no

If the answer to both is yes why hasn't he been traded? In order to sign him as part of the trade you would have to make him the highest paid guard in the NFL. If you are willing to do that you don't have to worry that much about competing to sign him as a FA.

Anything is possible but if there were teams out there offering a 1st rd pick for Iupati I have to feel the 49ers would be seriously listening.
Originally posted by 9erred:
What a steal, the Niners let Dashon Goldson walk, get a cheaper replacement in the draft AND get a 3rd round compensatory selection. Ozzie Newsome has been doing this for years in Baltimore.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Wizard-Of-Compensatory-Picks/d6638cb2-c63f-4ea2-a0c2-ac360bfb176c

This is why the Niners should not try to trade Iupati this year, let him play out his contract, let him sign his monster contract in FA, and then receive a 3rd round compenatory pick a year later.

The team has already been doing this. Generally speaking they get as many compensatory picks as anyone over the last 5-6 years.. This year they only have one but its one of the first compensatory picks there is in the entire draft.

Hitting on Reid doesn't mean its a smart thing to do or that its always going to work either, and Ozzie has done PLENTY of resigning his own guys to big deals.
Originally posted by NinersRule:
While I love the strategy...can we try and keep Iupati? He's a road grinding top 2 or 3 guard. The drop off would be massive.

Top 2 or 3 guard in the NFL?

Or are you saying top 2 or 3 in "road grinding"?

If its the first you're out of your mind. If it's the latter I'm with you. He's not even the best guard on the 49ers.
Ozzie is a beast bc he takes the best player available, even if the player is at a position they have a HOF player playing it (Sharpe)
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Marvin

I can't see them retaining Crabtree. Iupati will be an easier sign than Crabtree - especially if we take 2 WR and we find a great starter. I love Crabs, I really do - but has he lived up to #10 overall? I don't know about that. He's somewhat injury prone and I just can't see us breaking the bank for that kind of player. Boldin made sense because over the life of his career Boldin has been extremely durable .... signed a 5-year deal that CAN void after 2. That's called Crabtree insurance... at least somewhat.

The last 10 #10 overall draft picks. I wouldn't swap Crabtree for any of them.

Chance Warmack
Stephon Gilmore
Blaine Gabbert
Tyson Alualu
Michael Crabtree
Jerod Mayo
Amobi Okoye
Matt Leinart
Mike Williams
Dunta Robinson
  • buck
  • Veteran
Ozzie Newsome is a excellent GM.

Trent Baalke has been doing pretty well.

In my estimation, both Ozzie Newsome and Trent Baalke should, and will, continue to work in the manner that best suits them.

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Marvin

I can't see them retaining Crabtree. Iupati will be an easier sign than Crabtree - especially if we take 2 WR and we find a great starter. I love Crabs, I really do - but has he lived up to #10 overall? I don't know about that. He's somewhat injury prone and I just can't see us breaking the bank for that kind of player. Boldin made sense because over the life of his career Boldin has been extremely durable .... signed a 5-year deal that CAN void after 2. That's called Crabtree insurance... at least somewhat.

What difference does it make if he lived us to #10 overall when looking at resigning him? Where he was drafter 5 years ago has nothing to do with his next contract, regardless of who gives it to him.

Regarding which one to retain (if that is a decision they even want to make) which one of them is better at their job and harder to replace? IMO its not even close, Crabtree is a much better WR than Iupati is a Guard and would be significantly harder to replace.

That being said I'm sure they are going to try and draft a potential replacement for both of them in this draft and see what they have in each, which may determine which one is more valuable to the team.
We are already there. I think Baalke has taken it a step further with redshirting players. I view the 49ers as having three 1st round picks in 2014 (Lattimore, Carradine, and whoever we draft at 30). This team will be set for years to come after the 2014 draft.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
We are already there. I think Baalke has taken it a step further with redshirting players. I view the 49ers as having three 1st round picks in 2014 (Lattimore, Carradine, and whoever we draft at 30). This team will be set for years to come after the 2014 draft.

I really hope it pays off and I think tank and Latt will beast up big. Tho I do think that last year we really had high hopes of one of those guys coming in for the end of the year/playoffs and making an impact.
But with a year of training , rehab and learning the system they should be in a better position to succeed than a rook straight from school. I hear Tank is 295 and quick and Lattimore is 100% and 230..
Pretty sure baalke already does
Question...would there be a comp pick for Brown but ot Rogers since we released him d/t salary cap reasons? I would imagine Bethea would cancel out Whitner?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

exactly the way I look at it
^^^ WTF^^^^ ???? must be an april fools prank
Share 49ersWebzone