LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

I know Bowmans out for a while but..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I just hope that Bowman returns to old form when he gets back and that if Willis has felt like he has been overshadowed that it could bring even greater fire to his game.

I think the OP was trying to address this particular issue. Of course nobody wants Bowman out but some of us miss Willis as our undeniable leader on defense, and it should be interesting to see what unfolds.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Bow will never be the same.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Several years ago I would've thought the same way. The advancements in sports medicine has gone off the charts in the last 10 years. Shaun Livingston, the basketball player, had one of the worst injuries I've ever seen on the court and he's back starting and playing well. Thomas Davis linebacker for the Panthers tore his knee up 3 times and he's playing today with speed. Look at Frank, he tore up his right and left knees in back to back seasons in college and he's still productive at the age of 30. Lattimore was counted out after his injury and he's back to 100% by his account.
Maybe maybe not. Is Adrian Peterson "the same"?
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Patrick Willis is playing the Ted role that Takeo Spikes used to play.
Bowman is playing Pat's old position at Mike.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

Several years ago I would've thought the same way. The advancements in sports medicine has gone off the charts in the last 10 years. Shaun Livingston, the basketball player, had one of the worst injuries I've ever seen on the court and he's back starting and playing well. Thomas Davis linebacker for the Panthers tore his knee up 3 times and he's playing today with speed. Look at Frank, he tore up his right and left knees in back to back seasons in college and he's still productive at the age of 30. Lattimore was counted out after his injury and he's back to 100% by his account.

I hope your right. All I can think of is William Floyd. Was a beast in his first few years, then blew out his knee and couldn't get it back. I'm pulling for him all the way. Hope he can come back and continue his career.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 10, 2014 at 4:08 AM ]
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
This. I really feel like Bowman was just a hair better. Thats no knock on Willis at all. We are really fortunate to have them both but if you think our defense isn't gonna skip a beat with Bow out your nuts.

Bowman's best season statistically was last year with 148 tackles http://www.nfl.com/player/navorrobowman/2508088/careerstats. Patrick Willis had had a 174 tackle season and a 152 tackles season http://www.nfl.com/player/patrickwillis/2495781/careerstats. I'm not so sure Bo is better than PW...
Just get Skov and use what we have for 1st. 6 games. Bowman will come back and we wont miss a beat..
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

This

I will never forgive Reid for ruining his career.

#neverforget
#neverforgive
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Just get Skov and use what we have for 1st. 6 games. Bowman will come back and we wont miss a beat..

we get a nice emotional boost with bowman coming back right when our team is hitting their stride. we'll be fine

Originally posted by sf1974:
Bowman's best season statistically was last year with 148 tackles http://www.nfl.com/player/navorrobowman/2508088/careerstats. Patrick Willis had had a 174 tackle season and a 152 tackles season http://www.nfl.com/player/patrickwillis/2495781/careerstats. I'm not so sure Bo is better than PW...

A linebackers job is more than just tackling. Hes better in coverage and hes just as fast. He has a nose for the football, just ask matt ryan. Hes also clutch as all hell.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
No. Nothing really excites me about the defensive MVP of our team being out half the season.

This.
Originally posted by joshuatree:
Originally posted by susweel:
I love pat but he's no bowman.

I know we are splitting hairs here but I feel Patrick's game is more well rounded. Bowman is the prototypical MLB tackling machine.

I feel the exact opposite. Bowman and Willis are basically the same linebacker, but Bowman is more well rounded and better in coverage (which would explain why he didn't leave the field in any package, Willis did). Bowman also has had more signature moments and big plays in his short career than Willis has (killing the Falcons in the playoffs, then at the Stick's fairwell game, then the forced fumble/recovery that wasn't even awarded to him against Seattle in the playoffs, etc.) The only true signature moments I recall for Willis are when he chased down the Rams' receiver from the other side of the field and when he demolished the Jets' TE, neither of which meant much in the grand scheme of things as the team was stuck in mediocrity and neither play had any impact on a possible Championship run. I love Willis, but Bowman is the better player.

Another thing is we were able to plug pretty much anybody into Willis' spot next to Bowman and that guy had success. We will have to wait and see if the same can be said about Bowman's spot next to Willis. Hopefully Pat can elevate the guy next to him the way Bowman did when Pat was hurt.
Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by susweel:
I love pat but he's no bowman.

thats what Val and I have been saying all this time for the last two years.

I would say Bowman has been the better player since he became a starter in 2011. Nobody should take offense to that, not even the biggest Patrick Willis fan. They are both awesome, but no inside linebacker is better than Bowman. None.
Originally posted by sf1974:
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
This. I really feel like Bowman was just a hair better. Thats no knock on Willis at all. We are really fortunate to have them both but if you think our defense isn't gonna skip a beat with Bow out your nuts.

You're gonna make that decision based on TACKLES? Really?

LOL
Share 49ersWebzone