There are 241 users in the forums

mangini worries me

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Going back to last year I've never understood the value this hire brought. Now I think its obvious it was a contract negotiation ploy and quite frankly it sucks.
mangini is a baalke guy and former head coach and is used as another subtle jab at harbaugh and to weaken his contract stance.
Jed and ballke are playing a dangerous game... it would be very very difficult to replace jim and staff and continuity in place.

Baalke has hit some home runs but he certainly has whiffed his share too. 2011 was very strong but 2012 was equally weak. So that leaves 2013 to judge...
Reid is very good and lemonoir showed flashes but he took big gambles on tank and Marcus that need to pay off.
and McDonald needs to show big improvement for 2013 to look good.

Meanwhile. . Harbaugh has sustained success everywhere he's been without fail. To me harbaugh is the safer bet between the two but Jed obviously feels differently.
I hope this ends well
I do get a small inkling that Mangini being on the roster is a subtle hint that should anything happen, there's always a guy on the staff with HC experience that could take over. Me personally, I don't think Mangini should be the guy. Honestly, I'm not sure anyone on the roster would give me any kind of confidence that he could replace Harbaugh. There's been talk about Tomsula, but as much as I think he's a great coach, I'm not 100% sure he's HC material.
Frankly, IMO, it's much ado about nothing.

When next season rolls around - JH will be HC, Trent will be GM and Mangini will be AS_ _ Hole.
  • thl408
That was some random thoughts man. You title it Mangini then go on to how Baalke drafts. Mangini is a TE coach now. He shouldn't impact the draft that much unless they are looking for a 3rd string TE which they shouldn't until the late rounds, even then Celek is solid as a 3rd TE. As long as Mangini isn't telling Harbaugh when to throw the challenge flag, the 49ers should be okay.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/11/17/notes-iuaptis-injury-could-end-offensive-lines-streak/

"The 49ers didn't have any timeouts for the final 10:26 of the first half after Jim Harbaugh whiffed on two replay challenges.

In the first quarter, he thought Saints quarterback Drew Brees had crossed the line of scrimmage before tossing an eight-yard completion to Darren Sproles. Replays clearly showed Brees was behind the line.

In the second quarter, Harbaugh challenged an incomplete pass to wide receiver Jon Baldwin, who nearly had a 14-yard touchdown catch, but lost possession of the ball as he fell out of bounds. Harbaugh consulted with offensive assistant Eric Mangini, who was in the coaches' booth, before throwing each of his challenge flags."
- Saints game
Em will not be the 49ers HC ever
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
you're worried about the tight ends coach?

lol

feels, feels everywhere
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SoCold:
you're worried about the tight ends coach?

lol

feels, feels everywhere
agree, of all the things i worry and fret about(to big of a list) a tight ends coach is not one of them!
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I've witnessed worse things happen.
agreed. that pesky strength and conditioning coach has me really on edge too.
I'm sure Mangini could score a better job somewhere else , but something tells me he will stick around and not be a distraction , being part of a winning organization will make a person mind his P's and Q's

Originally posted by verb1der:

And will not from a coaching stand point ever again
Why should he worry you...Harbaugh likes him and now he'll have a position to coach.
Originally posted by verb1der:

And will not from a coaching stand point ever again

I think the hc pecking order are as follows

Fangio
Tomsula
Roman
Seely
Mangini
Chryst
Rathman
Originally posted by sconniepanther:
Going back to last year I've never understood the value this hire brought. Now I think its obvious it was a contract negotiation ploy and quite frankly it sucks.
mangini is a baalke guy and former head coach and is used as another subtle jab at harbaugh and to weaken his contract stance.
Jed and ballke are playing a dangerous game... it would be very very difficult to replace jim and staff and continuity in place.

Baalke has hit some home runs but he certainly has whiffed his share too. 2011 was very strong but 2012 was equally weak. So that leaves 2013 to judge...
Reid is very good and lemonoir showed flashes but he took big gambles on tank and Marcus that need to pay off.
and McDonald needs to show big improvement for 2013 to look good.

Meanwhile. . Harbaugh has sustained success everywhere he's been without fail. To me harbaugh is the safer bet between the two but Jed obviously feels differently.
I hope this ends well

Baalke has control of the roster . . . Harbaugh has control of coaching staff hires. If Harbaugh didn't want Mangini he wouldn't be here.
EM's title of "consultant" was the eyebrow raising move. And, from what i've heard, he was largely influential on challenge replays from upstairs. We had terrible use of the challenge flags before him but 2013 was worse. I was better live on television than we were with the benefit of replay...
Share 49ersWebzone