LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

If it comes down to it, who would you rather have?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If it comes down to it, who would you rather have?

Originally posted by pd24:
Yup. I couldn't sleep that night. People were saying Miami is a done deal and then the next morning, we got are man.

Oh sorry, I was referring to that day when Baalke and Harbaugh got together at one of their homes IIRC and the power went out and they didn't even care..talked football all day/night...in the dark. Anyone remember this one?
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 25, 2014 at 2:12 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Really? You don't know what kind of offense we run? I thought that was pretty much common knowledge by now. Also no Baalke did not bring Harbaugh in. Jed York is the man responsible for landing Harbaugh.

LOL. What? Now Jed brought in Harbaugh?

Anyhow, yes, we are a run on first down, intermediate pass on 2nd and 3rd down and implosion in the RZ.

My point is, what IS this offense? Pro-style (what kind)? WCO? Spread? Pistol? Digit-system? Of the 350 pages, it "seems" like a conglomerate of it all.

Baalke was hired 3 days before Harbaugh and I believe there was back channel talk about making sure Harbaugh was okay with promoting Baalke before he got the job. So i doubt Baalke was running a coaching search when it wasn't a 100% lock he would even get the job.

The offense is the power run offense. We do sprinkle in some read/option stuff because of Kap. Colts brought in Pep Hamilton and traded for Trent Richardson to try to run the same type of offense (though they had to abandon it for a more spread attach when Richardson flopped) and Stanford runs the same type of offense.
Baalke was hired 3 days before Harbaugh and I believe there was back channel talk about making sure Harbaugh was okay with promoting Baalke before he got the job. So i doubt Baalke was running a coaching search when it wasn't a 100% lock he would even get the job.

The offense is the power run offense. We do sprinkle in some read/option stuff because of Kap. Colts brought in Pep Hamilton and traded for Trent Richardson to try to run the same type of offense (though they had to abandon it for a more spread attach when Richardson flopped) and Stanford runs the same type of offense.

Wasn't Baalke promoted within and already with the organization and going after and considering Harbaugh EVERY FO's goal at the time?

Oh, the Stanford offense...in the NFL. Joy. So unless you're name is Gore, Crabtree, Boldin or VD, enjoy the bench.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 25, 2014 at 2:24 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Wasn't Baalke promoted within and already with the organization and going after and considering Harbaugh EVERY FO's goal at the time?

Oh, the Stanford offense...in the NFL. Joy. So unless you're name is Gore, Crabtree, Boldin or VD, enjoy the bench.

I'm not saying Baalke wasn't in the loop because i'm sure he was the #1 choice to be GM. I'm just saying Harbaugh was a Jed pick, not to say Baalke was against it but he wasn't in a position to run a coaching search at the time.

This argument has been going on for years. Its why the Greg Roman thread has 244 pages.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

I'm not saying Baalke wasn't in the loop because i'm sure he was the #1 choice to be GM. I'm just saying Harbaugh was a Jed pick, not to say Baalke was against it but he wasn't in a position to run a coaching search at the time.

This argument has been going on for years. Its why the Greg Roman thread has 244 pages.

I remember that. The Media started to say we had no shot at Harbaugh whe we hired Baalke and then one of the Matts reported that it wasn't a deal breaker. Wasn't Jed spotted talking to Harbaugh in like December of that season?

I get where you're going with this...Harbaugh was a no-brainer and THE hottest coach out there. I'm sure promoting Baalke within to GM, prompted conversations between Jed/Baalke on a thorough search and a serious consideration for Harbaugh. But in the end, Baalke had to do the interviews, spend the countless (in the dark) hours with him to ensure their philosophies matched and that they could work together. Once confirmed, Jed wrote the check.

LOL. No doubt!!! I guess I don't genuinely feel that a Stanford offense is any offense at all...or an identity. And when thl408 and others break down formations/tape it seems like that Stanford offense is really nothing more than a conglomerate or waste-paper basket of pieces from 5+ other real offenses. Maybe that's just me though...
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 25, 2014 at 2:34 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Maybe its Baalke with the issues more then Harbaugh

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/baalke-and-singletary-did-not-have-great-chemistry-either

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/baalke-and-singletary-did-not-have-great-chemistry-either

It's quite possible. But Baalke SHOULD be pissed for Taylor Mays and a crappy NFL coach and with the lack of production and effectiveness on offense under Jim Harbaugh. That's his job...to bring in the best 90 in the game (which we have had the past 2-3 years) and it's on Harbaugh to manage the 46 and produce a Superbowl with it. One GM has more than done his job...the 2 HC's have not. I'd be more worried of there wasn't some contention at this juncture.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 25, 2014 at 3:01 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

It's quite possible. But Baalke SHOULD be pissed for Taylor Mays and a crappy NFL coach and with the lack of production and effectiveness on offense under Jim Harbaugh. That's his job...to bring in the best 90 in the game (which we have had the past 2-3 years) and it's on Harbaugh to manage the 46 and produce a Superbowl with it. One GM has more than done his job...the 2 HC's have not. I'd be more worried of there wasn't some contention at this juncture.

Yeah that 2012 draft.. Pure perfection!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
"How did the Jim Harbaugh-Trent Baalke breach open up?"

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2014/02/25/how-did-the-jim-harbaugh-trent-baalke-breach-open-up-lets-go-back-through-it-owen-marecic-a-j-jenkins-aldon-smith/

"How did the Jim Harbaugh-Trent Baalke breach open up?"

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2014/02/25/how-did-the-jim-harbaugh-trent-baalke-breach-open-up-lets-go-back-through-it-owen-marecic-a-j-jenkins-aldon-smith/

i linked that in the other thread, was not a bad read at all.

Not good (but not fully graded just yet either). That said, look what he did JUST last year alone. I'd say he was pretty busy taking care of our immediate and long-term future:

Lost:
WR Marlon Moore
OLB Jermaine Cunningham
CB Marcus Cooper
QB B.J. Daniels
OLB Parys Haralson (Saints) for 7th rounder
OLB Cam Johnson (Colts) for 7th rounder
WR AJ Jenkins (traded for WR Jon Baldwin, Chiefs)
QB Alex Smith
TE Delanie Walker
WR Randy Moss
NT Issac Sopoaga
NT Ricky Jean Francois
FS Dashon Goldson
K David Akers
PR Ted Ginn
LB Larry Grant

Gained:
2014 Draft - 300 more draft picks
2013 Draft Class - all signed, sealed and delivered!
OC Greg Roman - through 2015
QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson
QB John Skelton
OLB Jermaine Cunningham
FB Owen Marecic
WR Chris Harper
QB Seneca Wallace
WR Jon Baldwin
CB Eric Wright - one year contract
WR Austin Collie, Charly Martin, Lavelle Hawkins
TED: Travis Johnson
RDE Justin Smith - restructures; signed through 2015; huge salary cap relief move. Win-win! Thank you Justin/FO.
P Colton Schmidt - Championship!
WR Kassim Osgood
WR Brandon Carswell - psych!
OC Assistant Eric Mangini - one year deal
C Goodwin - reduction $1.2 million in base salary
OT/OG - Adam Snyder - 2-year, $2.45M
WR Ronald Curry - LOL...as an offensive assistant
MIKE LB Patrick Willis - restructures deal. The 49ers will move $1.687 million of Willis' scheduled 2013 base salary to a signing bonus, which allows them to spread the cap hit out over the final four years of Willis' deal with the team. Willis' base salary for the 2013 season will now be just $715,000 and it is fully guaranteed
TE Cameron Morrah - 1 year $630K
OT Anthony Davis - scheduled to make $1.3M this year (signed a 5 year extension worth $37M; 17M Guaranteed)
CB Nnamdi Asomugha - $1.35M (with a chance to make an additional $1.65M)
QB Colt McCoy - $1.5M per ESPN
S Darcel McBath - $630,000
WR Marlon Moore - $630,000
PK Phil Dawson - $2.25M
WILL OLB Parys Haralson - $1.3M (with a chance to make $1.7M)
FS Craig Dahl - $1.783
MLB/ST Dan Skuta - $1.35M
NT/DE Glenn Dorsey - $2.2M
WR Anquan Boldin - for second 6th rounder @ $6M; looking to restructure a LT deal.
NT Ian Williams - filling in for RJF @ $888,333
CB Tramaine Brock - 1.3M
WR Joe Hasting - $405,000
WR Ricardo Lockette - $480,000 - cut for Seneca Wallace
WR Mario Manningham - restructured his deal, lowering his base salary to $1.8M (they also eliminated his roster and workout bonuses)

2013 Draft:
1. First round (No. 18 overall, from Dallas) FS Eric Reid, LSU
2. Second round (No. 40 overall, from Tennessee): RDE Cornellius "Tank" Carradine, Florida State
3. Second round (No. 55 overall, from Green Bay): TE Vance McDonald, Rice
4. Third round (No. 88 overall, from Green Bay): SAM OLB Corey Lemonier, Auburn
5. Fourth round (No. 128 overall): WR Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech
6. Fourth round (No. 131 overall, compensatory): RB Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina
7. Fifth round (No. 157 overall, from Indianapolis): LDE Quinton Dial, Alabama
8. Sixth round (No. 180 overall, from Miami): MIKE/TED LB Nick Moody, Florida State
9. Seventh round (No. 237 overall): QB B.J. Daniels, South Florida
10. Seventh round (No. 246 overall, compensatory): LT Carter Bykowski, Iowa State
11. Seventh round (No. 252 overall, compensatory): CB Marcus Cooper, Rutgers

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171861-2013-team-needs-updates/#QfdmBtl1jGkBCfWj.99
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 25, 2014 at 3:30 PM ]
Draft's not the problem. 2012=stinker. 2011=Aldon. 2013=Reid,Lemonier,Patton,McDonald. The coaching staff could have gotten (a lot) more out of 2013 IMO.

Continued inconsistent offense = no ring.

Find me a GM that has been with his team long-term that hasn't had some awful picks? Bill Walsh had some terrible drafts. Ozzie Newsome has had about 5 or 6 total stinkers, there's no such thing as a "perfect GM." Baalke has been right far more often than he's been wrong.

Baalke should have had issues with that idiot.

For instance, Singletary demanded that the 49ers select safety Taylor Mays in the second round of the 2010 draft. Baalke did not want Mays. Singletary won the battle. The following training camp when Singletary was no longer around, Baalke shipped Mays to the Cincinnati Bengals for a seventh-round draft pick.
Share 49ersWebzone