There are 158 users in the forums

If it comes down to it, who would you rather have?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If it comes down to it, who would you rather have?

Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by crabman82:
IF we're gonna move on from harbs and get another coach in the next year or two, i'd prefer not to have one of these big names who hasnt been coaching for the last 5-10 years. guys like cowher, gruden, dungy, holmgren do not interest me at all. i'd rather promote a tomsula type of find the next up and comer.

Yea let's replace one of the greatest offensive minds in the game for a dline coach. That will get this offense going...
i do not speak for my friend crab but I think he was trying to say tomsula is a very very good coach who is well liked by the team and the players would be ok with this,,, and while crabs did not say it, he may be thinking if JH goes, his fat little henchman roman will go and we will get a new and better OC. JH may have a great offensive mind but we did not see that to much this year with the results did we?

Everyone felt the same thing about Singletary. How did that work out? Results? 3 NFCCG in a row. That's some pretty impressive results to me.

Yup. I just don't get it. We saw what a "stacked" roster could do before JH arrived. We barely had any pro-bowlers or all-pros until JH arrived. As if JH didn't have anything to to with the transformation of those players, making them a cohesive unit. He made our guys better players and individuals....

People are acting like we had a superbowl team before JH arrived and it was just "plug and play." No. JH used good talent from Baalke and turned this into a stacked super bowl contender.

If JH leaves, we are going back to the cellar. If Baalke leaves, it won't be as impactful. At least not right away.

Exactly! Cowboys and Redskins are examples of teams that have very talented players and a sorry head coach. Look at the turnaround the Chiefs made after hiring Andy Reid.

Preciscley. Cheifs are a good example. Also, the Lions have a a slew of young talent. But Jim Shortz was a s**tty coach so it made no difference. I mean come on, they have Megatron and can't make the playoffs in a sorry NFC north which didn't even have Rogers playing for a lot of the season. What a joke.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
keep both.

get rid of NinerTalk.
The obvious answer is Jim Harbaugh. You think any team would give the Niners a bucket load of draft picks for Baalke? Um.. no. There are lots of guys who can evaluate talent and make good draft picks. There are very few that can coach like Harbaugh.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
keep both.

get rid of NinerTalk.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
The obvious answer is Jim Harbaugh. You think any team would give the Niners a bucket load of draft picks for Baalke? Um.. no. There are lots of guys who can evaluate talent and make good draft picks. There are very few that can coach like Harbaugh.

Good point. Everyone is horny for Harbaugh, not Trent f**king Baalke. Head coaching is way more difficult and stressful then being a GM.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM ]
i dont think anyone is thinking harbaugh can be easily replaced. i dont want him gone, i'm just starting to sense i dont see him as a long term guy. barrows points in his recent blog and harbaugh always needing chaos and controversy and if baalke left harbs would have issues with the next guy cus thats just the way he is or whatever. things like that are telling to me. great coach but he might be one of those guys who bounces around.
Originally posted by Lunchwagon:
Raiders had a conference championship team, traded their coach for 2 1sts and and 2 2nds and immediately went to s**te for more than a decade. Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Yup. Talent in the NFL is all over the place. You need a coach to bring it all together.

You know, it's kind of interesting...what we're really talking about here is talent inspite of coaching and coaching up talent. In this scenario, we'll assume Fangio and his staff stay. I'd hope the ST staff leaves (they suck). Baalke stays and continues to infuse top notch talent via FA (including our own) and the draft.
On offense:
CK - has no ceiling; is now playing in a completly different system than in college and still playing very well; how much has coaching helped here? Or is it talent? Most questions people have with him are mechanics, preparation, vision, pocket ability, etc.
Gore - safe to say that no matter what OC we had, he was successful?
Boldin - same thing? Any system, he's great.
VD - same thing? First a blocker and then became the primary pass catching target? He does both well.
Goodwin - PB/Superbowl center before coming here.
Iupati/Davis - both first round talents (same consistent issues though)
McDonald - slot pass catcher in college, but is a blocker here.
Hunter/James? Never used
Kyle Williams/Baldwin/Jenkins? Ummm
Boone - you can put this one on coaching and development, no doubt. Harbaugh was his biggest backer!

So again, re: the offensive side of the ball, how much did coaching really help, "bring it all together;" this 30th ranked offense?

I have no doubt re: coaching...JUST coaching, Harbaugh is one of the best team managers there is but we can't ignore these offensive player development issues (talent vs. coaching) OR the fact that he cost us the Superbowl and NFCCG with very poor game management (called TO on the TD) and poor situational awareness (signing off on plays like Crabtre x3 and Crabtree again) as well.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 25, 2014 at 12:04 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Simple.

Get rid of the idiot that is causing the problems.

And I do not know who that is.
Originally posted by buck:
Simple.

Get rid of the idiot that is causing the problems.

And I do not know who that is.

Start with Haslem then work your way down those ex-Browns food chain. Those are guaranteed idiots. Then the reporters starting with Florio.

Mobsterstyle.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Raiders had a conference championship team, traded their coach for 2 1sts and and 2 2nds and immediately went to s**te for more than a decade. Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Yup. Talent in the NFL is all over the place. You need a coach to bring it all together.

You know, it's kind of interesting...what we're really talking about here is talent inspite of coaching and coaching up talent. In this scenario, we'll assume Fangio and his staff stay. I'd hope the ST staff leaves (they suck). Baalke stays and continues to infuse top notch talent via FA (including our own) and the draft. On offense:
CK - has no ceiling; is now playing in a completly different system than in college and still playing very well; how much has coaching helped here? Or is it talent? Most questions people have with him are mechanics, preparation, vision, pocket ability, etc.
VD - same thing? Blocker and then became the primary pass catching target? He does both well.
Goodwin - PB/Superbowl center before coming here
McDonald - slot pass catcher in college, but is a blocker here
Boone - you can put this one on coaching and development, no doubt.
Hunter/James? Never used

So again, re: the offensive side of the ball, how much did coaching really, "bring it all together" for a 30th ranked offense?

I have no doubt re: coaching...JUST coaching, Harbaugh is one of the best team managers there is but we can't ignore these offensive player development issues OR the fact that he cost us the Superbowl and NFCCG with very poor game management (called TO) and situational awareness (signing off on plays) as well.

CK - JH is the QB whisperer. There is little debate on this point. CK may be fine without JH, but there is no questions CK will be much better off with JH. And if CK goes down, we will need JH to mold the next man up. This is the position JH cleaned up. It happens to be the most important position on the team. If anything, we need him for this.

Gore - Yes, Gore has had success but he is 30+ now and doesn't have the burst he once had. He is on the downside of his career and slows down at the end of every year. As much as i love gore, he isn't exactly the best RB in the league or anything.

Boldin - This is the first time he has had a 1,000 yard season since the AZ days.

Crabtree- Never had a 1,000 yard season until JH showed up

VD - Had 13 TD this year. The most since 2009.

As for the linemen, we were 3rd in the league in rushing this year. In 2012, we were 4th in the league. In 2011, we were 8th in the league.

In 2010, before Harbaugh, we were 19th in the league in rushing. In 2009, we were 25th in the league in rushing. It doesn't get much better from there...
So we may have a 30th ranked passing offense, but the running attack has improved dramatically, and its no because of just Gore. Hunter and Kap have contributed to that, including Harbaugh's pistol read option.

Besides all that, before Harbaugh, we would fumble away games and make many many many dumb mistakes. He eliminated all those mistakes as well. He took a bunch of talented guys and molded them and turned them into a powerhouse perennial Superbowl contender each and every year he has been here.

His situation awareness and clock management and challenges will get better. He is a new coach to this league and is still learning and figuring things out himself. We need to give him more then three years to get it 99% right. If he is this good as a newb, imaging when he has a few more years under his belt. He got us to the dance and it wasn't just those few mistakes that cost us the game. It had more to do with the players' and refs having brain farts then a few things Harbaugh did. He's the one who got them there in the first place. I would blame the players and Roman more then Harbaugh in that game. Harbaugh can't make the refs call holding, he can't make Culliver stay on his feet and make a tackle, he can't make the special teams tackle etc...

Letting him go will be the biggest mistake in 49ers history.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 25, 2014 at 12:20 PM ]

• obx49
  • Veteran

You know, it's kind of interesting...what we're really talking about here is talent inspite of coaching and coaching up talent. In this scenario, we'll assume Fangio and his staff stay. I'd hope the ST staff leaves (they suck). Baalke stays and continues to infuse top notch talent via FA (including our own) and the draft. On offense:
VD - same thing? Blocker and then became the primary pass catching target? He does both well.
Hunter/James? Never used

So again, re: the offensive side of the ball, how much did coaching really, "bring it all together" for a 30th ranked offense?

I have no doubt re: coaching...JUST coaching, Harbaugh is one of the best team managers there is but we can't ignore these offensive player development issues OR the fact that he cost us the Superbowl and NFCCG with very poor game management (called TO) and situational awareness (signing off on plays) as well.

CK - JH is the QB whisperer. There is little debate on this point. CK may be fine without JH, but there is no questions CK will be much better off with JH. And if CK goes down, we will need JH to mold the next man up. This is the position JH cleaned up. It happens to be the most important position on the team. If anything, we need him for this.

Gore - Yes, Gore has had success but he is 30+ now and doesn't have the burst he once had. He is on the downside of his career and slows down at the end of every year. As much as i love gore, he isn't exactly the best RB in the league or anything.

Boldin - This is the first time he has had a 1,000 yard season since the AZ days.

As for the linemen, we were 3rdin the league in rushing this year. In 2012, we were 4th in the league. In 2011, we were 8th in the league.

In 2010, before Harbaugh, we were 19th in the league in rushing. In 2009, we were 25th in the league in rushing. It doesn't get much better from there...
So we may have a 30th ranked passing offense, but the running attack has improved dramatically, and its no because of just Gore. Hunter and Kap have contributed to that, including Harbaugh's pistol read option.

Besides all that, before Harbaugh, we would fumble away games and make many many many dumb mistakes. He eliminated all those mistakes as well. He took a bunch of talented guys and molded them and turned them into a powerhouse perennial superbowl contender each and every year he has been here.

His situation awareness and clock management and challenges will get better. He is a new coach to this league and is still learning and figuring things out himself. We need to give him more then three years to get it 99% right. If he is this good as a newb, imaging when he has a few more years under his belt.

Great f**king post! This should be pinned for every hater to see. If Harbs is sent away packing there should be a Rodney King like riot in San Fran.
49ers draft cam will have the highest ratings of all time this May York should sell commercial time slot
  • pd24
  • Veteran

Hunter/James? Never used

As for the linemen, we were 3rdin the league in rushing this year. In 2012, we were 4th in the league. In 2011, we were 8th in the league.

Besides all that, before Harbaugh, we would fumble away games and make many many many dumb mistakes. He eliminated all those mistakes as well. He took a bunch of talented guys and molded them and turned them into a powerhouse perennial superbowl contender each and every year he has been here.

His situation awareness and clock management and challenges will get better. He is a new coach to this league and is still learning and figuring things out himself. We need to give him more then three years to get it 99% right. If he is this good as a newb, imaging when he has a few more years under his belt.

Great f**king post! This should be pinned for every hater to see. If Harbs is sent away packing there should be a Rodney King like riot in San Fran.

Idiotic statement.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
49ers draft cam will have the highest ratings of all time this May York should sell commercial time slot

lol

Yeah man. Its like an episode of the real world.
Originally posted by pd24:
Idiotic statement.

He's using hyperbole and its just a joke
Share 49ersWebzone