There are 137 users in the forums

Would Eddie let the 49ers move to Santa Clara?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Raul98:
The DeBartolos and Yorks tried to build a new stadium at Candlestick Point but circumstances and politics prevented that.

That's not true Eddie tried the Yorks didn't they hate the Candlestick location.

You know this how?

Exactly. He doesn't know that. I remember the endless courting that went on and Newsome wasn't interested. Then suddenly Hunters Point - aka Superfund Site - became the only option. Many of us knew that was DOA.

How many times did the Yorks say the Candlestick park location was not a option that the traffic is terrible that it's in a bad neighborhood. If you honestly believe the Yorks where ever willing to stay at the Stick and re build a new stadium there your fooling yourself. The Yorks hate that location they hated the Hunters Point location they fell in love with the Santa Clara location and that was the end of it.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Feb 20, 2014 at 7:37 AM ]
The DeBartolos and Yorks tried to build a new stadium at Candlestick Point but circumstances and politics prevented that.

That's not true Eddie tried the Yorks didn't they hate the Candlestick location.

You know this how?

Exactly. He doesn't know that. I remember the endless courting that went on and Newsome wasn't interested. Then suddenly Hunters Point - aka Superfund Site - became the only option. Many of us knew that was DOA.

How many times did the Yorks say the Candlestick park location was not a option that the traffic is terrible that it's in a bad neighborhood. If you honestly believe the Yorks where ever willing to stay at the Stick and re build a new stadium there your fooling yourself. The Yorks hate that location they hated the Hunters Point location they fell in love with the Santa Clara location and that was the end of it.

You are just trying to spin this. Why were they wrong to hate the Hunters Point location, if indeed they did? Why were they wrong to fall in love with a location where the other side were keen to make it happen?

You know this how?

You are just trying to spin this. Why were they wrong to hate the Hunters Point location, if indeed they did? Why were they wrong to fall in love with a location where the other side were keen to make it happen?

I can't recall the York's talking trash about Hunters Point until after they made the decision to build in Santa Clara and were talking about the virtues of the Great America site vs. Hunter's Point.

You know this how?

I didn't mean the Hunters Point location i meant the Candlestick park location Eddie was all for re building a new stadium where the stick is now but the Yorks were against it they don't like the traffic mess coming in and out of the stadium and that it's in the ghetto. If they wanted the niners to stay in SF so bad why didn't they come up with a stadium at the Candlestick park location?? oh ya that's right they hate that location so it was easier just to move away.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Feb 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM ]
I'm really passionate about this so i don't care if people think I am wrong or crazy the team playing in Santa Clara even if it's still in the bay really sucks to me and I'm sure to a lot of people. I would never move the Niners under no circumstances even with out help from the city i would die trying to figure something out. The Giants got a new stadium with no help from the city so it can be done. I would rather re model the stick with new luxury suites locker rooms appearance and technology than move the team away. People on this post think I'm wrong but i don't care, having my team in my city of San Francisco my whole life to now playing in Silicon Valley is heart braking. Ya i know there's nothing i can do about it. But i refuse to accept it or like it i will never look at Levis Stadium as the home of the 49ers as far as i am concerned all 16 games will be away games. I still love the team and will support them but i just don't have it in me to be happy about them playing in silicon valley.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Feb 20, 2014 at 11:28 AM ]
I'm really passionate about this so i don't care if people think I am wrong or crazy the team playing in Santa Clara even if it's still in the bay really sucks to me and I'm sure to a lot of people. I would never move the Niners under no circumstances even with out help from the city i would die trying to figure something out. The Giants got a new stadium with no help from the city so it can be done. I would rather re model the stick with new luxury suites locker rooms appearance and technology than move the team away. People on this post think I'm wrong but i don't care, having my team in my city of San Francisco my whole life to now playing in Silicon Valley is heart braking. Ya i know there's nothing i can do about it. But i refuse to accept it or like it i will never look at Levis Stadium as the home of the 49ers as far as i am concerned all 16 games will be away games. I still love the team and will support them but i just don't have it in me to be happy about them playing in silicon valley.
lol...SF had their chance..from 1971-2013

Giants and baseball is a different business from Football ..and the Giants part. you even said it (They had to do it on their own)

SF doesn't care

Uh, how many times did the Giants almost leave because of the voters and/or idiots who run SF? They were packed and ready to move to Tampa in late-1992, Lurie had AGREED on a deal to sell the team to a group that most definitely was going to move the team to Tampa-St. Pete. But MLB owners voted against it because the Magowan group was willing to buy the team and keep them in SF. And although the new park was "technically" built without public funding, they did get a multi-million $$ tax abatement from the city, plus something like $100M for infrastructure upgrades.

Bottom line, SF was never very accomodating on new stadiums for either team, and figured that as with the Giants, "something" would eventually get done with the 49ers and they'd never leave. Yes, that's how stupid and shortsighted the SF "leadership" was/is, that even though it took a last-minute deal to save the Giants, they STILL stonewalled the 49ers...about the only politician who seemed to truly want to do what it took to keep the Niners was Willie Brown, dude got dead people to vote for the stadium props and threw voting machines into the bay.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

Uh, how many times did the Giants almost leave because of the voters and/or idiots who run SF? They were packed and ready to move to Tampa in late-1992, Lurie had AGREED on a deal to sell the team to a group that most definitely was going to move the team to Tampa-St. Pete. But MLB owners voted against it because the Magowan group was willing to buy the team and keep them in SF. And although the new park was "technically" built without public funding, they did get a multi-million $$ tax abatement from the city, plus something like $100M for infrastructure upgrades.

Bottom line, SF was never very accomodating on new stadiums for either team, and figured that as with the Giants, "something" would eventually get done with the 49ers and they'd never leave. Yes, that's how stupid and shortsighted the SF "leadership" was/is, that even though it took a last-minute deal to save the Giants, they STILL stonewalled the 49ers...about the only politician who seemed to truly want to do what it took to keep the Niners was Willie Brown, dude got dead people to vote for the stadium props and threw voting machines into the bay.
I know my posts and this thread have come off as angry ranting but that's exactly what it is. I'm mad at both sides for not getting this done. I know it doesn't change anything but letting my frustrations out helped a little. I am not turning my back on the team i will loyally be there in front of my tv every 49er game like i have been for the past 17 years. I will just hate the fact they are where they don't belong but what can i do about it. 490 Jamestown Ave is where my heart will be during all home games even though physically i have to see them in that South Bay stadium.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Feb 20, 2014 at 4:44 PM ]
The reason SF hasn't been accommodating to any team for stadiums is because there isn't enough space. It's too small and real estate is too valuable. Come on, people. This is the most expensive city in the country now. Rents are higher in SF than in New York. I think it's amazing that AT&T even got built, but a modern baseball stadium takes a lot less space than a Football stadium. And, they were able to do it without public funds because they play lots of home games for months and months. It's a different business model. The only possible space was going to be either Candlestick point or Hunters Point and Hunters Point was a superfund disaster waiting to happen thanks to the way the Navy used to do things. Plus, we should all know by now that Candlestick point isn't an ideal place for a stadium anyway. There is only one freeway, the city streets get gridlocked almost immediately and the weather sucks.

I know my posts and this thread have come off as angry ranting but that's exactly what it is. I'm mad at both sides for not getting this done. I know it doesn't change anything but letting my frustrations out helped a little. I am not turning my back on the team i will loyally be there in front of my tv every 49er game like i have been for the past 17 years. I will just hate the fact they are where they don't belong but what can i do about it. 490 Jamestown Ave is where my heart will be during all home games even though physically i have to see them in that South Bay stadium.

How many games did you usually attend each year?

Originally posted by crake49:
The reason SF hasn't been accommodating to any team for stadiums is because there isn't enough space. It's too small and real estate is too valuable. Come on, people. This is the most expensive city in the country now. Rents are higher in SF than in New York. I think it's amazing that AT&T even got built, but a modern baseball stadium takes a lot less space than a Football stadium. And, they were able to do it without public funds because they play lots of home games for months and months. It's a different business model. The only possible space was going to be either Candlestick point or Hunters Point and Hunters Point was a superfund disaster waiting to happen thanks to the way the Navy used to do things. Plus, we should all know by now that Candlestick point isn't an ideal place for a stadium anyway. There is only one freeway, the city streets get gridlocked almost immediately and the weather sucks.

Your right on all points but i would rather they play at a new stadium at Candlestick point or a re modeled stick but that's just me. Keeping the team in SF meant the world to me but the city officials the Niner ownership could not make it happen. Most people in the webzone are happy and exited the team is getting a new stadium and don't seem to care that it's away from the city, I on the other hand am miserable and sad to see this new stadium i don't care how nice it is. I feel like i am the only one who feels this way but it's okay i love the Niners and i love San Francisco i don't have to love Santa Clara or it's stadium.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

How many games did you usually attend each year?

I would have loved season tickets but i cant afford it. Late 90's to 2010 about 3 or 4 a season. But with the recent success stub hub has been more expensive so i have only been able to go to 2 a season the past few years. I was at the final game against the Falcons and got to say good bye to the stick. I also pass by the stadium a lot in the off season and sit at the benches at the park near the trailer park and have a sandwich and admire the stadium and it's memories. Sadly i will only be able to see condos from those benches in a few years.
[ Edited by Raul98 on Feb 20, 2014 at 5:07 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by T-9ers:
I don't even think Eddie lives in the city or even this state. I read somewhere over half of 49er season ticket holders live in San Mateo County like myself. City real estate is just too valuable now a days, I'm not sure what they plan to do with the hunters point site but we could use the housing around here. 9ers want to be down there for the same reason the A's want to get there and that's opportunity. It's the only part of the. Bay that can still grow. You get a whole new fan base in the South Bay while retaining your city based roots. It's just a good business move as far as revenue growth is concerned.

sorry bro, Southbay area has the largest amount of STH..and will not create a large amount of new comers

No bro, it's only recently like within the last year that Santa Clara has had the most season ticket holders. The demographics have been shifting south within the last decade or two. I know a few familes who live in San Jose who are season ticket holders, you know where they are from? Yes, San Mateo county who then moved to San Jose. And now that the Niners are down there, fans will be coming from Monterey county even San Luis.
Sure he would. It doesn't matter where we play. It's still the Bay Area. Anyway they should give the team back to Eddie D. The Yorks can only get you as far as NFC Championship game losses and Super Bowl losses.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Sure he would. It doesn't matter where we play. It's still the Bay Area. Anyway they should give the team back to Eddie D. The Yorks can only get you as far as NFC Championship game losses and Super Bowl losses.

Biggest troll on the Zone.

Why hasnt SD been banned yet?
Share 49ersWebzone